Has this ever happened to you?

real life is not boring when you learn the truth about 9/11 or that the federal reserve is a giant scam.

it might be too much for some people and they just ignore it without ever doing proper research :)

no joke it gets really interesting

real life is not boring its full of things we have to solve

Let's not bring unverified conspiracy theories in here please, we don't need that kind of filth.

Some of us also aren't into researching, especially political maneuverings of our current world setup, I know most of that already.
Reply Quote
[quote="84101541804"]you have an imagination, that's a good thing.

having that will allow you to succeed in a lot of things in life, especially creatively.

Damn, I remember when I first saw starwars when I was 7 and wanted to be a Jedi sooooo bad! But that's how you are when you're young, you become obsessed but it's natural.

I would channel that imagination into something productive, create your own story? your own ideas and characters? and once you do that, you will find that all the other cool stuff in life is merely just inspiration to make your piece of fiction all that much better. And once you get the flow of your story going, then it becomes exciting to think about YOUR story rather than someone else's which is great because you can take it as far as your imagination grants you.

That's exactly what I did, I have my own "starcraft-like" campaign universe because of something like this.

Making you own fictional storylines is fun as hell.
Reply Quote
you have an imagination, that's a good thing.

having that will allow you to succeed in a lot of things in life, especially creatively.

Damn, I remember when I first saw starwars when I was 7 and wanted to be a Jedi sooooo bad! But that's how you are when you're young, you become obsessed but it's natural.

I would channel that imagination into something productive, create your own story? your own ideas and characters? and once you do that, you will find that all the other cool stuff in life is merely just inspiration to make your piece of fiction all that much better. And once you get the flow of your story going, then it becomes exciting to think about YOUR story rather than someone else's which is great because you can take it as far as your imagination grants you.

That's exactly what I did, I have my own "starcraft-like" campaign universe because of something like this.

people even make careers out of that stuff, it's how people become writers, game developers, artists, musicians and more.

Do you know how many developers list Aliens as one of their biggest inspirations? I bet you 80% of the people who developed SC1 all drew inspiration from Aliens and Predator, the evidence is in the game, Aliens quotes all over that game.
Edited by emc on 3/21/2013 7:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
you have an imagination, that's a good thing.

people even make careers out of that stuff, it's how people become writers, game developers, artists, musicians and more.

Do you know how many developers list Aliens as one of their biggest inspirations? I bet you 80% of the people who developed SC1 all drew inspiration from Aliens and Predator, the evidence is in the game, Aliens quotes all over that game.

Don't forget about Starship troopers, Broodwar got a lot of inspiration. that's another reason why I enjoy SciFi, they are similar yet different enough to keep things interesting.
Edited by StratosTygo on 3/21/2013 7:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Don't forget about Starship troopers, Broodwar got a lot of inspiration. that's another reason why I enjoy SciFi, they are similar yet different enough to keep things interesting.

I didn't want to mention Starship troopers even though everyone and their momma links SsT with Starcraft.

But SC1 was already in developement when SsT was released in theaters, there are a lot of similarities but it's possible because of the book. I read the SsT novel which was released in the 1950's and it didn't go into huge detail about how the aliens looked other than they were giant bugs (the book was all about the soliders, less about the war, it's hard to compare the too really). I think it just lined up that the release of the movie and the release of SC1 about a year later was a bit of a coincidence that mass zerglings reminded people of the mass insects (which was the most badass thing back then btw)
Edited by emc on 3/21/2013 7:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Some things have that ability. A story can sometimes be so in-depth it draws you in. Games with good stories can do that too, and they have the added bonus of you actually being able to play them yourself, putting yourself in the action.

Just wait patiently for 2100, where Starcraft lore kicks in.
Reply Quote

I didn't want to mention Starship troopers even though everyone and their momma links SsT with Starcraft.

But SC1 was already in developement when SsT was released in theaters, there are a lot of similarities but it's possible because of the book. I read the SsT novel which was released in the 1950's and it didn't go into huge detail about how the aliens looked other than they were giant bugs (the book was all about the soliders, less about the war, it's hard to compare the too really). I think it just lined up that the release of the movie and the release of SC1 about a year later was a bit of a coincidence that mass zerglings reminded people of the mass insects (which was the most badass thing back then btw)

Not vanilla, Broodwar, that came out near the end of the year, the UED is obviously based on the Federation.
Reply Quote
Yea try channeling the feeling in some way to be productive, whether that learning about a topic (maybe loving the zerg could lead to a love for biology/evolution?), learning a new skill (martial arts?), or writing a novel of your own created world. The last is what I chose the last time I had this sort of feeling. A little over a year gone and I'm still working on it!

Just make sure to keep a separation between your immersion in a fictional world and reality. There is nothing worse than letting your real life be negatively impacted by filling your time with useless pursuits. (And by this I mean really filling. If you are putting off a social life or eating into study time for writing a fan fic that won't get you anywhere, for example, you should be worried)
Edited by LovelyMines on 3/21/2013 8:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Uh oh, the internet white knights are coming to defend the e-girl.

Say what you will, it is pathetic (RL wise) in so many ways to feel that way (the exact way she stated). Sure I, and anyone I'm sure, feels a pull to want the story to continue and such, but to become depressed over a video game? Wow....

Your wrong, your not tough, your not fly, and you are a unintelligent waste of !@#$%.. pce
Reply Quote
Being serious here, has anyone ever finished a game/book/etc. and been, I don't know somehow depressed that it's over or not real?

After finishing SC2 for some reason I have had this explainable feeling like I was super attached to the game I almost wish it was real. I know that sounds strange and like I'm some addict, but it was the characters like Kerrigan I thought she was so cool and I really felt her emotion I guess you could say (btw yes I'm a girl irl). Now I feel almost depressed after finishing the game, and I feel like real life is so boring in comparison or something, I can't explain it.

Has this happened to you? Any idea what to do about it?

What would you do if I told you that it is all in fact real?
Reply Quote
Uh oh, the internet white knights are coming to defend the e-girl.

Say what you will, it is pathetic (RL wise) in so many ways to feel that way (the exact way she stated). Sure I, and anyone I'm sure, feels a pull to want the story to continue and such, but to become depressed over a video game? Wow....

Your wrong, your not tough, your not fly, and you are a unintelligent waste of !@#$%.. pce

If you plan on insulting someones intelligence, at least spell it "you're". You are dismissed.
Reply Quote
03/21/2013 12:13 PMPosted by medcsu
I'm 19 Jade. I know seems weird, hard to explain, I just feel like "what now" or something or like I want to be Kerrigan, i don't know. I'm not crazy. :P I just have this feeling and it's bothering me, makes me feel depressed.

Pathetic. Seriously and utterly pathetic. This is a sign that you really need to up your social life by a lot.

When someone shares rather personal things with you, do you always use this as an opportunity to hurt them or you only do that anonymously? Also, you must have lot of friends, otherwise why would you be teaching people about "social life"?
Reply Quote
03/22/2013 01:30 PMPosted by Alex

Pathetic. Seriously and utterly pathetic. This is a sign that you really need to up your social life by a lot.

When someone shares rather personal things with you, do you always use this as an opportunity to hurt them or you only do that anonymously? Also, you must have lot of friends, otherwise why would you be teaching people about "social life"?

Uh, if someone said that IRL at a bar, at the frat, campus, baseball game, wherever my response would be the same. You just made my point even further, who comes to a Starcraft forum to share personal information about a mental defect, it's ludicrous at best.

Besides, were I in those shoes I would prefer someone jolting me back into the real world and to stop dwelling on insignificant bologna. So, long story short, yes I would tell them the same thing I said here as should anyone else who actually wants to help. Coddling or such will only enhance the issue.
Reply Quote
Coddling or such will only enhance the issue.

There is no "issues" here other than perhaps some serious issues that you yourself have.

since you like giving advice to others here is my advice for you:

Find a tall building and reflect on your existence. Hopefully you will go on from there.
Edited by DaveRoid on 3/22/2013 2:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If you plan on insulting someones intelligence, at least spell it "you're". You are dismissed.

lol grammer doesn't change the fact that ur a corny virgin with no friends ... pce
Reply Quote

Besides, were I in those shoes I would prefer someone jolting me back into the real world and to stop dwelling on insignificant bologna. So, long story short, yes I would tell them the same thing I said here as should anyone else who actually wants to help. Coddling or such will only enhance the issue.

You want a jolt back into real world and you don't want coddling? Very well, here it goes: you are not going to make many friends with that kind of attitude. If you genuinely want to help someone who you think has a problem:

1) Find out details.
2) Be tactful when conveying your message.
3) Offer a practical alternative.

Lot of people (including myself) on this thread think you have a problem. Some of them are doing to you what you did to the OP. Did it help the situation? If someone insults you, does it make you more likely to listen to them?
Reply Quote
03/22/2013 02:41 PMPosted by Snow

lol grammer doesn't change the fact that ur a corny virgin with no friends ... pce

While I am also rather irritated with him at the moment, there is no reason to stop to this.
Reply Quote
Iv had the same feeling before with games and books in the past, especially with games from SMT and such, their story's and writing is second to none IMO. I definetly felt a twinge of that same feeling at the end of HOTS, but it also got me excited for whats to come in Legacy.
Reply Quote
A good story will keep you thinking about it for a while even after it's finished.

If the ending to a story is done well, regardless of whether it's a happy or sad ending, I'll feel satisfied. If the ending is not done very well... Then yeah, there's a bit of a lingering disappointment.
Reply Quote
Can't log on for a little while and this happens?

Well sir your comments don't offend me because you don't have the right to make such accusations, you have no idea of my life and I have no need to defend myself.

Thanks for the replies guys! =)

-Edited, Didn't mean to offend anyone, just got carried away.
Edited by Tiger on 3/22/2013 7:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]