StarCraft® II

Why did Kerrigan think Raynor was dead?

Her whole return to the Queen of blades was based on the fact that she thinks hes dead and has more of a reason for revenge.

But it was pretty obvious he wasnt dead from the get go. The news report said he had been interrogated for a short period of time and then executed, but all the showed was a picture of his armor with a bullet hole in it.

So they torture soldiers in full combat armor? On top of that, Raynor was number one on the terrorist watch list. You think they wouldn't have made his execution the most public thing in the universe?

That and not seeing Duran are what upset me the most about the HotS story. Though i am glad Kerrigan is back to her Queen of blades form.
Reply Quote
Spoiler Alert!!!! As far as i know Narud is Duran infact its just his name spelled backwards
Reply Quote
You could take it as bad writing if you wanted to or claim that Karrigan is an idiot. Personally I don't agree with either of those views. I believe Karrigan was suffering some serious with drawl symptoms as it were. You see earlier in the game through the dream and the fact that she retains her mutated hair that Karrigan isn't quite human. Not only that but from the scans we see of her brain I can't help but suspect that isn't quite back to original either. She also said it herself. Having her control a zerg mind is dangerous. She's fearful of what she'll do.

She is however desperate to save Jim whenever she first takes hold of the hive cluster and thinking of only destroying that gun before he lands. While she's doing this she seems to forget her goal and begins to shift more towards a Queen of Blade's mind set. I believe this is supported by her order to kill all the dominion soldiers whenever they try to escape after the destruction of the gun. The Brood Mother's statement that the Queen has returned snaps Karrigan out of battle haze and she realizes what she's doing and worse it seems to feel very natural to her she knows something is wrong.

This frightens Karrigan so she tries to reach out to Jim. She needs someone to assure her that they will be there for her. At this moment of weakness she receives the news report that Rayner has been killed. Put simply I don't believe Karrigan was in her right state of mind whenever she received the news and I'm certain part of her was just looking for a reason to regain her power.

When Karrigan was trying to contact Jim I got the image of a recovering alcoholic setting in a corner horrified to find a bottle in their hand. Unfortunately whenever she reached out for a shoulder to learn on none was there.
Reply Quote
Kerrigan believes everything she sees on TV
Reply Quote
So you see a lot of newscasts with the corpse of the person executed? Sometimes I don't think people really pay attention to things called subtlety. The Dominion alluded to the fact that he was captured, interrogated and executed. She even mentioned as much that she could no longer 'feel' him psionically any more.

At that point it was all revenge motivated.
Reply Quote
Your evidence that the news report was obviously fake was that they showed a picture of his armor with a bullet hole in it? Come on. We didn't see a death photo of Osama bin Laden for a while after his death -- the picture of the armor was probably not meant to be his actual armor, but an image the network used to symbolize Raynor's death.

And Raynor was caught on a raid, so I'd totally believe that Nova interrogated him some, and then executed him on sight. Mengsk doesn't need to make everything public. Besides, his reputation was still damaged from WoL -- at the hand of Raynor. Making a public display of it would make him into more of a martyr than just killing him quietly.

But yeah, the news report is obviously inaccurate -- TO US. We saw Nova capture Raynor, but not kill him. Therefore we're already suspicious when we see the news report. We've also seen trailer footage with Raynor scenes that we hadn't seen at that point in the game. We're also completely aware that this is fiction, and that certain pieces of fiction work in a certain way, and we all knew that he probably wasn't actually dead, because that's how that particular trope works.

But if you're a character in the fiction without the benefit of all that knowledge, the news report would seem pretty real. It's implied that Horner and Valerian believe it, as well.
Edited by Geekiskhan on 3/21/2013 8:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Kerrigan believes everything she sees on TV

Basically. Kerrigan felt so guilty about letting Jim die that she didn't question whether it was true or not.

Compare being so afraid of Weapons of Mass Destruction that you don't care whether they exist or not. That was on TV too. Kerrigan did something stupid, but it's not as if it's abnormally stupid.
Reply Quote
It's not clear if she actually believed that report completely or not. Even if she did not, she would still have to do exactly the same thing. There was no other way to deal with Arcturus. I guess she did the right thing for the wrong reason.

However, the fact that Raynor's crew did not try to verify this either just does not make sense. On a separate note, full frontal assault is not a good strategy for rescuing hostages as it tends to get them killed. And neither is giving a gun to someone who is probably in a compromised mental state.

This frightens Karrigan so she tries to reach out to Jim. She needs someone to assure her that they will be there for her. At this moment of weakness she receives the news report that Rayner has been killed. Put simply I don't believe Karrigan was in her right state of mind whenever she received the news and I'm certain part of her was just looking for a reason to regain her power.
Edited by Alex on 3/21/2013 10:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Kerrigan believed the story because it was delivered by Kate Lockwell. After all the hard work she went through to deliver legitimate news in WoL, everyone in the galaxy knows Lockwell is a trustworthy news source and not some puppet for Mengsk!

Of course we knew it was fake because major characters never die off camera. It's too anticlimactic. That's the advantage of being the audience- you know things the characters don't. (Also we know Lockwell has become a phony after her promotion!)
Edited by Polaris on 3/21/2013 12:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
But it was pretty obvious he wasnt dead from the get go.

To you it was. And whether he was captured or killed he was still out of her reach.

Her whole return to the Queen of blades was based on the fact that she thinks hes dead and has more of a reason for revenge.

No. It was a part of it but the other part was her desire for vengeance against mengsek. She needed to be as strong as she could be to kill mengsk. later she finds another reason for it which zeratul wanted her to be ready for.

03/21/2013 08:31 AMPosted by Sabutai
Sometimes I don't think people really pay attention to things called subtlety.

I see this in so many of these critiques that its mind boggling. It is like they cant even read skin deep and it should all be handed to them on a silver platter.
Edited by DaveRoid on 3/21/2013 1:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote

But it was pretty obvious he wasnt dead from the get go. The news report said he had been interrogated for a short period of time and then executed, but all the showed was a picture of his armor with a bullet hole in it.

We see her in the dropship trying to contact Raynor, and not being able to. She also is unable to sense or hear him (something she USED to be able to do as QoB), so yeah, in her world, considering how badly Mengsk had been gunning for them both, it was altogether believable that he'd been executed. Remember, in WoL, Raynor is the Dominion's #1 enemy even BEFORE he goes tear-assing through Zerg space to rescue Kerrigan.

Also, it's important to understand the relationship between Mengsk and Kerrigan. It starts WAY before the events of Starcraft 1, notably in the novels. Kerrigan was one of the three Confederacy Ghosts responsible for murdering his family on Korhal. Mengsk hunted down and killed the other two, but recognized the immense power that Kerrigan possessed, and chose to turn her against the Confederacy. The battle of New Gettysburg had Kerrigan there placing Psi Emitters to lure the Zerg into destroying Tarsonis (thus cementing the fall of the Confederacy). By leaving Kerrigan behind to be killed (or so he thought) by the Zerg, Mengsk was basically killing two birds with one stone. The death of his family would be avenged, and the Confederacy would fall by one of their own weapons.

The original Queen of Blades was the product of the remains of Sarah Kerrigan being brought to the Overmind, and being warped into their own super-soldier. Her bloodlust for Mengsk remained, but the rest of her compassion, humanity and soul had been seared away. That is who we knew in Starcraft 1 and Brood War, and who mercilessly hunted her enemies, and betrayed all that she knew and loved. She was the murderer of Fenix, and the scourge of the known universe.

The primal Queen of Blades that we meet in Starcraft 2 is an entirely different person. She retains the memories of her past, but this is Sarah Kerrigan's own destiny making the choices. That is why she spares the escaping transports after killing Warfield. That is why she chooses to land her troops outside the civilian areas of Korhal, despite knowing it would make her battle more difficult. That is why, ultimately, we see that Raynor -does- still believe in her humanity. She is Zerg, she is the Swarm, but its Heart is still human.

So they torture soldiers in full combat armor? On top of that, Raynor was number one on the terrorist watch list. You think they wouldn't have made his execution the most public thing in the universe?

I think you're reading too much here. They used a photo of his armor with a bullet hole in the visor. Pretty sure they can still Photoshop something like that in the future :D

That and not seeing Duran are what upset me the most about the HotS story. Though i am glad Kerrigan is back to her Queen of blades form.

We see Duran, just not as he was. Nurad is commented as a shapeshifter, and has been involved with the Hybrids. There was a secret mission in Brood War where Duran is basically starting the beginnings of these, and we hear Kerrigan that she "recognizes" something familiar on the platform where they battle.

I do agree, I -REALLY- wanted to see him morph back into his red beret during the cinematic. Overall, meh, it's still doable. In Brood War, Duran admits that he serves a darker and higher power than Kerrigan. Obviously, it was Amon.
Edited by John on 3/21/2013 11:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It's not clear if she actually believed that report completely or not. Even if she did not, she would still have to do exactly the same thing. There was no other way to deal with Arcturus. I guess she did the right thing for the wrong reason.

However, the fact that Raynor's crew did not try to verify this either just does not make sense. On a separate note, full frontal assault is not a good strategy for rescuing hostages as it tends to get them killed. And neither is giving a gun to someone who is probably in a compromised mental state.

That the Raiders didn't try to verify this is probably because THEY didn't know if Mengsk told the truth or not.

In fact, it wasn't until Kerrigan contacted them, telling them that Raynor was still alive that they realized Mengsk lied.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]