StarCraft® II

Cutscene Editor Tutorial already outdated? =(

I'm watching the Cutscene Editor tutorial that came with the collectors edition and i'm having a hard time following it because some of the content that shows in the video is missing from the game editor. Many of the character names have been changed or simply do not exist, such as the Kerrigan models specified in the video. There also seems to be missing (or changed?) functions which require a little looking around.

The low resolution of the video isn't helping either...kind of a poor decision that one, given that it's dvd in a collectors edition box....

Was anybody able to find any of Kerrigan models from HotS (not the WoL ones)?

Also, is anybody able to open the campaign cutscenes? Every time i activate one, nothing shows up or happens in the cutscene editor.

I just got to the audio part and i can't find tons of campaign audio. Not just HotS audio, but WoL audio as well. I can't find a single campaign Raynor dialogue...

sorry if i come off frustrated. I've been trying to learn to use the cutscene editor all day but it's really difficult and this video is being of little help.
Edited by hobbes on 3/22/2013 12:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
argh...how the hell do you import your own sounds in the cutscene? I imported 2 mp3s on the map but i can't figure out how to locate them using the cutscene editor. This stupid tutorial doesn't explain anything properly!

oh and the lip syncing isn't even working with the few audio clips i found.
Edited by hobbes on 3/22/2013 1:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I just got to the audio part and i can't find tons of campaign audio. Not just HotS audio, but WoL audio as well. I can't find a single campaign Raynor dialogue...

Are you sure you included the campaign dependencies when creating your map?

argh...how the hell do you import your own sounds in the cutscene? I imported 2 mp3s on the map but i can't figure out how to locate them using the cutscene editor.

You have to import the files, then create an entry for them in the data editor (it's the Sound tab).
Reply Quote
And if you want to make the lip sync with the sound, you need to use FaceFx to create corresponding fxa files.
Reply Quote
hey guys,
thanks for answering

Tolkfan,
It turns out, i didn't add the Campaign STORY dependencies, only the Hot's Campaign ones. I added it now and it did gave access to campaign content, audio and characters, but not all of it. For example, when i try to load SMX1 Kerrigan Dezerged i get the following message:
[3/24/2013 11:53:54 AM] Warning: USER: [ 196 2] CActorModel[PreviewerModel] Model Assets\StoryModeCharacters\Zerg\SMX1_KerriganDeZerged\SMX1_KerriganDeZerged.m3; Unable to create this model.

Additionally, when i activate a campaign cutscene to look at it, there is so many models missing, that all i see is a small checkered ball in the middle of the director window.

I loaded the first cutscene of the game where Raynor tells the guard "open the door, son", and i can hear all the audio, but nothing shows in the director window except that checkered ball.

You have to import the files, then create an entry for them in the data editor (it's the Sound tab).

Ok, i'll try and figure that out.

Renee

And if you want to make the lip sync with the sound, you need to use FaceFx to create corresponding fxa files.

Is this something that is included with the map editor, is it a plugin or a completely separate program?

Thanks again for helping me, guys.
Reply Quote
also, is there a way to have the cutscene view a camera on the map? It seems to show that on the pdf tutorial, but it doesn't explain how. All the camera options are cutscene cameras only. What if i want to show an establishing shot of the in-game base or units? Or if i want to use a terrain i created, with mountains and trees and stuff?
Edited by hobbes on 3/24/2013 12:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't own HotS, so I can't help you with those specific dependency errors. Make sure you're not including both Multi and Story dependencies.

To get everything, you only have to include the LibertyStory/SwarmStory dependency. The other ones will automatically be added.

I loaded the first cutscene of the game where Raynor tells the guard "open the door, son", and i can hear all the audio, but nothing shows in the director window except that checkered ball.

That's not an actual, in-engine cutscene. It's pre-rendered using the game assets (like Raynor's model) and included in the game only as a video. The real cutscenes are the ones taking place on the Leviathan/Hyperion.

Is this something that is included with the map editor, is it a plugin or a completely separate program?

http://www.facefx.com/ I have no idea if this can actually produce .fxa files that will work in Starcraft. Whenever I needed lips to move, I just looked for a campaign dialog that sounded similar and took the lip animations from it.

Here's an explanation how to add existing lip animations to your own sounds:
http://www.sc2mapster.com/forums/development/map-development/9297-can-you-make-a-portraits-mouth-move-in-a-transmission/#p11 (2nd paragraph)

03/24/2013 12:17 PMPosted by hobbes
is there a way to have the cutscene view a camera on the map?

No, you can't use a camera defined in the terrain module in a cutscene. You'll have to make new camera.

What if i want to show an establishing shot of the in-game base or units? Or if i want to use a terrain i created, with mountains and trees and stuff?

There's an Import Terrain button on the toolbar. You can specify what to import somewhere under File->Map Import.
Reply Quote
There's an Import Terrain button on the toolbar. You can specify what to import somewhere under File->Map Import.

i see it now. Odd that i missed it before.

I tried it but nothing happens. Everything is checked under file-> map import.

I click the import terrain button on the toolbar, it freezes for a few seconds and then nothing happens.
Reply Quote
Render->Show Ground and tick Terrain. It should show now.

It's also a good thing to keep the terrain module open when you import terrain. You can close it after it's done.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]