Anyone else notice....

Guys, guys - it's ok! Blizzard totally meant it! It was deliberate and that means we're wrong.

Like with all of the other plot failings, inconsistencies and plain idiosyncratic moments that litter Starcraft II's barren wasteland of a narrative. They were all deliberate, so you're not allowed to criticise them. Sorry, but those are the rules.

Shields on Battle Cruisers? Deliberate.
UED completely irrelevant? Deliberate.
Gun magically appearing when needed, instead of being worked into the scene as a symbolic moment between two characters, as any good story teller would do? Deliberate.

Sorry guys. Blizzard's got us here - we can't criticise any of it!
Reply Quote
There's been some confusion as to where Kerrigan got Raynor's gun, as well as why the gun doesn’t appear in the shot before she hands it to him during the "Believe in Me" cutscene at the end of the "Conviction" mission. So we went ahead and asked Brian Kindregan, lead writer of Heart of the Swarm, for more info. Here are the answers he gave us:

How does Kerrigan get ahold of Raynor's gun?
  • The key ingredient here that some players might have missed during their first play-through can be found in the last room of the mission. Just before you enter Raynor's cell for the cutscene, there's a locker. This locker is where prisoners' personal effects are kept, and it's also where Kerrigan got Raynor's gun.

Why isn't Kerrigan depicted holding the gun at the beginning of the cutscene?
  • We tried showing Kerrigan with the gun when she first appears during this scene, but after watching it a few times, we felt that it stood out just a little too much. So rather than have it distract from the moment where we see her as Jim does, we just decided to remove the gun from the shot. To give that moment a bit more logic, you can imagine Kerrigan had the gun holstered behind her back.

At this point, Blizzard's explanation for dumb behavior is starting to get adorable.

"Blizzard, where did all the cookies go? Did you eat them?"

"No," says Blizzard.

"Then why is your face smeared in crumbs and frosting? And why did you draw a picture of yourself celebrating how you stole the cookies and ate them?"

"Um. It was a creative decision to look guilty as sin, but in reality, the thing you wanted to be true is exactly what I did. In a creative, alternative sort of way," says Blizzard.

Blizzard. You can admit you wrote terrible, terrible plot holes in there and that the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. We won't even be mad at this point. By now I think we're basically expecting it.
Reply Quote
People are just too damn picky.

It isn't a plot hole, that's a massive overstatement, quit calling something like this a plothole.. At most, it's merely a small oversight.
Reply Quote
It's not an oversight at all why can't people just accept the fact that the cinematic is at first viewed from raynor's perspective (which is why he at first thinks he sees uninfested kerrigan and why we see it too) and he wasn't looking at her hands he was looking further north. It would've looked stupid if the cinematic was her walking in with a gun in her hands like they said. Would you have been happier if they focused the camera up further? It would have looked tacky imo. Good move by blizzard
Reply Quote
It's not an oversight at all why can't people just accept the fact that the cinematic is at first viewed from raynor's perspective (which is why he at first thinks he sees uninfested kerrigan and why we see it too) and he wasn't looking at her hands he was looking further north. It would've looked stupid if the cinematic was her walking in with a gun in her hands like they said. Would you have been happier if they focused the camera up further? It would have looked tacky imo. Good move by blizzard

Like I said. At most it's an oversight.

Personally, I don't mind it, and the reasoining makes perfect sense. But everyone is screaming "omg plothole" when it isn't even close to a plothole....
Reply Quote
Personally, I like to think of it like this: Jim's been held in this dark cell for an extended period of time. The door suddenly blasts open, flooding the room with light in the process. He's stunned from the commotion, and seeing Primal Kerrigan for the first time (he may not even be sure she's feeling too friendly at that moment, either.)

That's already a lot for anyone to handle all at once. Because we're seeing it from his perspective when all this goes down, I can't imagine seeing the gun would initially register in his brain at all. =)

Sweet, I was right when I posted this a week+ ago!
Reply Quote
Why did they let Raynor keep those smokes he never smokes?
Why do they let the SCV have like four beers inside his SCV suit?
Starcraft is ruined!

It was fun while it lasted...

but this... this is unforgivable.

EDIT: also reading through this thread... you guys are insane!
Edited by TecHits on 3/28/2013 2:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
That is about the most unconvincing explanation I've ever heard.

What I'd like to hear next is their explanation for why Raynor pulls up alongside the four battlecruisers that aren't firing on him and personally leads a boarding party consisting exclusively of him and Tychus in which they fight up to some random chamber in the crew deck only to blow the door down and find Valerian mengsk.
Reply Quote
Narud shapeshifts to Raynor, smoke pack on his arm and everything.

Ya, like that's important to a shapeshifter... shapeshifting a pack of smokes on his arm cause he cares about details sooo much.
Reply Quote
Well Jim probably wouldn't have gotten far with just 6 bullets in his gun even if he did have it before the cinematic.

Ah well. Gone are the days of Maximum Security checking your pockets.
Reply Quote
Well Jim probably wouldn't have gotten far with just 6 bullets in his gun even if he did have it before the cinematic.

Ah well. Gone are the days of Maximum Security checking your pockets.

Yeah, seriously man, what the heck...
Reply Quote

What I'd like to hear next is their explanation for why Raynor pulls up alongside the four battlecruisers that aren't firing on him and personally leads a boarding party consisting exclusively of him and Tychus in which they fight up to some random chamber in the crew deck only to blow the door down and find Valerian mengsk.

We don't know that they weren't firing on him. It just cut straight to the boarding action. We didn't get to see anything that went on space-side. Honestly though, my hypothesis, based on his dropship's capabilities, is that he kept Valerian's ship in-between his own and the other two ships. (Pretty sure there was actually only two other ships, and they did come in behind the Buecephalus, or however the hell you spell it.)

Because confirmation bias. Though this is a pretty extreme case, seeing evidence that directly contradicts a position and then using it to support that position.
Edited by Joshua on 3/28/2013 4:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Personally, I like to think of it like this: Jim's been held in this dark cell for an extended period of time. The door suddenly blasts open, flooding the room with light in the process. He's stunned from the commotion, and seeing Primal Kerrigan for the first time (he may not even be sure she's feeling too friendly at that moment, either.)

That's already a lot for anyone to handle all at once. Because we're seeing it from his perspective when all this goes down, I can't imagine seeing the gun would initially register in his brain at all. =)

Now that you've answered this (and thank you for confirming what so many of us have be saying) can you start locking these idiotic threads please.
Reply Quote
And I thought Mengsk deliberately let Raynor have his gun thinking Jim would kill Kerrigan seeing her as Zerg once again... Maybe I overestimated that character' sense of super secret plots, eh! Lol
Reply Quote
Dont mean to be rude or anything, and please dont ban me for this blizzard.
but in all honesty: if u are concerned by things like this i really think you should go out a bit more and spend a little less time behind a computer, in other words...get a life...

seriously. go out, meet people, do something that will actually help u in real life, trust me, youll thank me for it later....really!

I believe this is in no way related to the topic, and although it is nice to meet people, let other people do what ever they want with their lifes.
Edited by Eternal on 3/30/2013 5:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Geeze guys, you're worried about a Gun that Kerri could've simply had behind her back after opening Jim's personal effects locker and you're not questioning how Kerrigan suddenly teleported to Zerus in a manner of Days when it took the Overmind WITH PORTALS DECADES if not CENTURIES to go from Zerus to Auir/Koprulu. Zerus is near the Galactic Core. K-sector is near the rim. That's at least 40,000 Light Years.

If we're going to complain about crap that doesn't hurt or better the storyline no matter the result, at least complain about the obvious Sci Fi flops Blizzard continuously throws into SC now a days. At least that's justifiable: to a point.

Though I agree that it doesn't make sense that a maximum security holding prison would keep personal effects so close (in-fact the theme that Blizzard portrays the Dominion as, I'm surprised Raynor even got to KEEP his effects in the first place. It's not like he was sentenced for 5 years only. He isn't meant to get out soon) having the gun involved simply lets us see that Kerrigan is willing to let Jim do what he promised. He probably couldn't strangle her and a quick death via gunshot would be merciful for BOTH of them since they do care about each other. It's far from realistic, but I don't think it'd be as powerful as it was without it.
Reply Quote
@Einharjar: Like I said earlier in the thread, extreme psionic ability with an emphasis on telekinetics. Perhaps she just teleports the Leviathan around. That would make utterly irrelevant the distance involved. The Overmind perhaps was able to invest her with powers it didn't have itself.

Hell, teleportation technology is being explored IRL right now. It's 50 years or more away from being practical of course, but my point is that teleportation is quite possible based on modern real science. I see no reason Kerrigan in any form, 500 years from now, might not have advanced teleporting capabilities. After all if you have cognitive access to quantum data, all properties of matter become mere data points. Moving a huge Leviathan 40,000 light years would be no different from moving your own body a few feet except in the amount of energy expenditure required... and even that I'm not sure about. I'm no physicist. :p

In any event, I really think people are not considering Kerrigan's nature as a psionic being enough here.
Reply Quote

We don't know that they weren't firing on him. It just cut straight to the boarding action. We didn't get to see anything that went on space-side. Honestly though, my hypothesis, based on his dropship's capabilities, is that he kept Valerian's ship in-between his own and the other two ships. (Pretty sure there was actually only two other ships, and they did come in behind the Buecephalus, or however the hell you spell it.).

Yes. There were three. I wrote four for some reason. Anyway, the cutscene makes literally no sense, and I am going to presume that you are aware of how tenuous a justification your hypothesis offers.

Some really shoddy work there and elsewhere.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]