StarCraft® II

Explain to me how a Leviathan space travels

(Locked)

How does the Leviathan travel through space? I imagine some form of afterburner machinery corrupted with zerg skin and able to operate. How does it seemingly go inside atmospheres without heating up? It seems to me that it acts just like a blimp, as is to how the overlords fly.

Kerrigan flying at the end? That Raynor must have been high or he didn't see the Viper pulling her up :P These are just my opinions and I think having some realism to it would make it more appealing, just my thinking...

I know overlords are like blimps but heck if there isn't any realism, we might as well have lemons fighting oranges :P
Overmind could warp jump couldn't he? Also Zerg have access to psionic powers that might grant them a thing a two that normal folks dont get get. haha
Don't try to make sense out of everything or you mind is gonna blow up.
Muta's expel a gas while in space. Their wings keep flapping out of instinct.
03/22/2013 01:46 AMPosted by JimRaynor
How does it seemingly go inside atmospheres without heating up?

I think I read somewhere that lowering something that large into an atmosphere would create enough heat and sound to effectively fry the surface below. No invasion would have been needed because Augustgrad would already be in ruins.

As for warp jump, we always heard that the Overmind and Queen of Blades could psionically create warp rifts for zerg to travel through. Yet in HotS, it is clear that Leviathans can warp on their own, as they were clearly doing it this whole time without Kerrigan's help. I have no idea how they do it.

I guess the only answer is to suspend your disbelief.
Edited by Torloch on 3/22/2013 8:36 AM PDT
I believe entering the atmosphere will only generate heat based on the speed of the vessel. If Leviathans have significant control of their movement, they could slowly lower themselves into the atmosphere w/o much problem.
The catastrophic heat would come from braking the Leviathan in the atmosphere. The amount of energy needed to slow it down enough (against gravity) not to burn up would be extremely vast.
Edited by Torloch on 3/22/2013 9:05 AM PDT
The catastrophic heat would come from braking the Leviathan in the atmosphere.

Heat generated by the extreme movement of objects to maintain orbit hitting the atmosphere creating friction. What I am saying, is if the Leviathan can slowly descend, then there would not be enough friction to generate that amount of heat.

The final cinematic seems to indicate Leviathans at least have the ability to move other objects around, either psionically, or some other method. Not to mention Levitate.

I'm just saying, in this fictional universe where we have space bugs, the capability to land w/o generating heat isn't impossible.
Edited by Yarko on 3/22/2013 9:05 AM PDT
What I'm saying is that in order to decelerate that much (against the force of the planet's gravity, which would be absolutely huge), the Leviathan would have to release a catastrophic amount of thermal energy into the atmosphere.

Basically it takes almost as much energy to decelerate into the atmosphere as it does to accelerate out of the atmosphere - the force of gravity being exerted on the object is the same (although you are going down so you don't have to exceed the force of gravity, just match it). So imagine how big a rocket we would have to strap to the Leviathan to lift it off into space at a really slow speed - that's similar to how much force it would take to decelerate its landing. Now imagine that there is a city underneath that giant rocket.
Edited by Torloch on 3/22/2013 9:58 AM PDT
That's assuming the Leviathan is using traditional thrust mechanisms. If the Leviathan travels by warping the space around it, then it never really moves at all.

http://io9.com/5963263/how-nasa-will-build-its-very-first-warp-drive

Why have a problem with this, and not the fact the leviathan is hovering inside the atmosphere as well? (Or the fact that you have psi blades, or bug aliens, or mouthless brain talky aliens.)

It could also be completely telekinetic.
Edited by Yarko on 3/22/2013 10:52 AM PDT
03/22/2013 10:51 AMPosted by Yarko
If the Leviathan travels by warping the space around it, then it never really moves at all.

Good point.

03/22/2013 10:51 AMPosted by Yarko
Why have a problem with this, and not the fact the leviathan is hovering inside the atmosphere as well?

If it were lighter than air, like an Overlord, then it would not need to exert thrust to hover.

But yeah you're right it is suspension of disbelief.
Edited by Torloch on 3/22/2013 11:02 AM PDT
It's pretty obvious that it can warp spacetime which enables FTL travel and gravity manipulation.

On a separate note, the reason why modern spacecraft release lot of heat when entering the atmosphere is because they are traveling at several miles per second. That is a very large amount of kinetic energy that needs to go somewhere. It has nothing to do with gravity.

As long as Leviathan travels at a subsonic speed while in the atmosphere, it would not generate much heat.
Doesnt realy help but here you go
http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Behemoth
I haven't read any of the novels, do they ever give details on how exactly FTL jumps are made by Protoss and Terrans?
I haven't read any of the novels, do they ever give details on how exactly FTL jumps are made by Protoss and Terrans?

Trying to explain something that we don't understand beyond that beyond that there are particles that travel faster than the speed of light is hard to do.

Based on Stetman's protoss research one would guess it has something to do with anti matter or dark matter manipulation.

Protoss warp is however far more advanced than terrans where terrans can only do relatively short range jumps while protoss can pretty much go anywhere there is a stargate connection. Also I'm fairly sure their largest ships are also capable of long range warp as long as their target isn't too close to a planet.

Zerg one would guess is similar to biological replacement of protoss tech with a degree of psionic boosting.
Edited by Anvos on 3/22/2013 1:58 PM PDT
It's pretty obvious that it can warp spacetime which enables FTL travel and gravity manipulation.

On a separate note, the reason why modern spacecraft release lot of heat when entering the atmosphere is because they are traveling at several miles per second. That is a very large amount of kinetic energy that needs to go somewhere. It has nothing to do with gravity.

As long as Leviathan travels at a subsonic speed while in the atmosphere, it would not generate much heat.

Nothing to do with gravity? Where do you think the spacecrafts' speed comes from? My point is that the thrust required to slow the Leviathan down that much would flatten the city. Obviously you avoid that problem if you warp in.
I believe entering the atmosphere will only generate heat based on the speed of the vessel. If Leviathans have significant control of their movement, they could slowly lower themselves into the atmosphere w/o much problem.

This. Reentry doesn't always have to be a fireball.

03/22/2013 01:51 PMPosted by Anvos

Trying to explain something that we don't understand beyond that beyond that there are particles that travel faster than the speed of light is hard to do.

Also this. We don't understand everything in the universe. A setting that blatantly violates our current understanding of physics in one way has no reason to play by the rules in other ways. Sci fi operates on levels typically far beyond us. It's not a plot hole or bad writing to say that in a future where humanity is more advanced than us, they actually have technology more advanced than us.
Edited by Sumelar on 3/22/2013 5:37 PM PDT

Nothing to do with gravity? Where do you think the spacecrafts' speed comes from? My point is that the thrust required to slow the Leviathan down that much would flatten the city. Obviously you avoid that problem if you warp in.

Spacecraft speed comes from jet fuel that was previously burned to accelerate it. Gravity always preserves the sum of kinetic and potential energy. Now, if you have something that can manipulate gravity then all bets are off.
I am not sure if the leviathan leaves orbit. Imagine the amount of energy required to lift such a huge creature in and out of orbit. And it is totally useless to do so. Its a soft target since it is so big and slow that you could easily nuke it.

It has drop pods, so it can deploy troops from orbit. In space you don't need too much propulsion because there is no friction. Space farts can take you a long way.

I really don't see a reason to bring the leviathan into the atmosphere of a planet other than intimidation.
I am not sure if the leviathan leaves orbit. Imagine the amount of energy required to lift such a huge creature in and out of orbit. And it is totally useless to do so. Its a soft target since it is so big and slow that you could easily nuke it.

It has drop pods, so it can deploy troops from orbit. In space you don't need too much propulsion because there is no friction. Space farts can take you a long way.

I really don't see a reason to bring the leviathan into the atmosphere of a planet other than intimidation.

You realize that energy is an abstract concept, right?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]