StarCraft® II

Explain to me how a Leviathan space travels

(Locked)

Yes energy is an abstract concept, but that doesn't change the fact the law of conservation of energy is a real thing.
How does a leviathan travel in space?

The same way Han and Chewy do: in style. ;)
Yes energy is an abstract concept, but that doesn't change the fact the law of conservation of energy is a real thing.

Conservation of abstract concept is a real thing?
How does the Leviathan travel through space? I imagine some form of afterburner machinery corrupted with zerg skin and able to operate. How does it seemingly go inside atmospheres without heating up? It seems to me that it acts just like a blimp, as is to how the overlords fly.

it enters real slow.
Zerg have evolved a biological component where we would use technology. Examples:
Radio waves and cell phones operate with waves. The sound we make is also waves. While Zerg haven't needed to use sound for anything major, they could evolve into it if they needed to.
And there's also fiber optics. And certain creatures in the sea are bioluminescent. So a Zerg could also emit those types of lights.

As to warping through space, there are many theories in science fiction as to how it's done. One is that you basically fold two points in the universe onto each other and simply walk between them (as in Wrinkle in Time). However, it only looks like that to the person doing the warping.
Or is it teleporting? That is generally more magic than technology, but there is a saying (I forgot the name of it, Something's Law) that says at the highest levels, magic is indistinguishable from technology. Or in this case, the Zerg's biological abilities.

In summation: I don't know.
With the issue of the leviathan generating to much heat while entering the atmosphere because it would require to much energy to decelerate there our 2 fixes to the problem.

1. the leviathan has a way of creating an anti-gravity field around itself mostly likely through psionic means. due to the creature dwarfing battle cruisers it would have a brain the size of a small town which would give it more than enough neural tissue and with its size it would have more than enough bulk to supply it with the energy it needed.

2. The leviathan could enter into a slow orbit slowly orbiting the planet till it broke into the atmosphere at a reduced rate requiring less energy to decellerate.

3. Since the leviathan is a huge blimp the leviathan could adjust its gas levels to become buoyant upon entering the atmosphere. For example think of a weather balloons and other types of balloons that can reach the very upper atmoshpere without requiring an propulsion.

Besides Entering the atmosphere isn't the problem its warp jumping something the size of city. For example we need a whole multi-billion dollar under ground bunker whith multiple power plants just to make an electron warp jump when we want it to. we know they do it on there own but if we want to force one to that's how we have to do it. So now imagine jumping something the size of city were do you get that power. If you did it psionically kerrigan wouldn't have enough body mass to do it and neither would the leviathan. Psionic energy isn't free it doesn't just pop out of mid air. For example lets say you could move things with telekinesis, just using your mind, for every second you were moving that object with your mind you body would need to be burning through large amounts of energy which in physical terms relates to a large amount of glucose like several thousand calories worth. This is the reason the protoss needs pylons and khaydarian crystals that supplements the energy they need. So unless kerrigan consumes a few trillion calories a day I can only assume that she has evolved some advanced biological fusion type reactor inside her that supplies her with the energy she needs. Which if that's the case the leviathan could have something similar giving it the ability to open up worm holes to travel through. Which wouldn't be to much science fiction since we know wormholes exist its just how do you create one and crontrole it. furthermore the leviathan would require very little energy to move normally in space since space is a vacuum and no friction exist so basically just a little gas propulsion would move it forward. Furthermore when it is in atmospheric conditions, if the leviathan acts as a giant blimp, it would require very little propulsion. Basically the leviathan is a giant chemical reactor creating " lighter than air gasses" that our used for buoyancy and can be expelled through muscle contractions for some propulsion with the only major energy consuming thing the leviathan does is open up a worm hole and travels through it which again would require some type of evolved biological fusion type reactor inside of it.
Edited by Sandman on 5/7/2013 11:32 AM PDT
I wonder what the chances that someone at Blizz HQ is reading this thread and jotting down notes to use these theories later =P
How does the Leviathan travel through space? I imagine some form of afterburner machinery corrupted with zerg skin and able to operate. How does it seemingly go inside atmospheres without heating up? It seems to me that it acts just like a blimp, as is to how the overlords fly.

Kerrigan flying at the end? That Raynor must have been high or he didn't see the Viper pulling her up :P These are just my opinions and I think having some realism to it would make it more appealing, just my thinking...

I know overlords are like blimps but heck if there isn't any realism, we might as well have lemons fighting oranges :P

You ask these questions as if you somehow know how BCs and Carriers actually fly and travel through space and only Leviathans are a mystery to you. It's science FICTION bro. Take it easy.

And if you do know how BCs actually fly, I've got some news for you, you can win a few Nobel prizes and probably become the richest man alive.
Edited by Wrecker on 5/8/2013 10:50 AM PDT
infinite improbability drive
I am not sure if the leviathan leaves orbit. Imagine the amount of energy required to lift such a huge creature in and out of orbit. And it is totally useless to do so. Its a soft target since it is so big and slow that you could easily nuke it.

It has drop pods, so it can deploy troops from orbit. In space you don't need too much propulsion because there is no friction. Space farts can take you a long way.

I really don't see a reason to bring the leviathan into the atmosphere of a planet other than intimidation.

yet the beautiful scenery of the terestial background in the campaign.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=zerg+queen&aq=f&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&authuser=0&ei=6EWLUbOUA-GCiALwpYGADA&biw=1066&bih=504&sei=6UWLUez1FuTAigKZz4G4Ag#um=1&hl=en&authuser=0&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=starcraft+2+kerrigan+leviathan&oq=starcraft+2+kerrigan+leviathan&gs_l=img.3...10565.15292.4.16248.18.13.0.5.5.0.54.613.13.13.0...0.0...1c.1.12.img.284IiK1SEWs&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46340616,d.cGE&fp=31fb609f95c3407c&biw=1066&bih=504&imgrc=AtiaS1Ehm0NT8M%3A%3BzeKThBU-KfpjoM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fmedia.pcgamer.com%252Ffiles%252F2013%252F01%252FThe-mouth-of-the-Leviathan-reveals-the-landscape-of-each-planet-Kerrigan-visits.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.pcgamer.com%252Fpreviews%252Fstarcraft-ii-heart-of-the-swarm-campaign-preview%252F%3B1920%3B1080
03/22/2013 01:46 AMPosted by JimRaynor
Kerrigan flying at the end? That Raynor must have been high or he didn't see the Viper pulling her up :P These are just my opinions and I think having some realism to it would make it more appealing, just my thinking...

1. Realism ruins space opera by trying to make it science fiction when it clearly isn't.
2. How do Zerg units get back INTO the overlords once they've dropped?
3. Kerrigan probably flew just far enough for the Leviathan to shoot out a giant tendril to pick her up. You know, she summons a leviathan to fight for her during combat...
...which is very weird considering the tendrils the Leviathan uses should be so huge they would 1-hand splatter the Odin. But hey, what do I know.

infinite improbability drive

+2^276709
Edited by Rasofe on 5/9/2013 5:11 AM PDT
I am not sure if the leviathan leaves orbit. Imagine the amount of energy required to lift such a huge creature in and out of orbit. And it is totally useless to do so. Its a soft target since it is so big and slow that you could easily nuke it.

It has drop pods, so it can deploy troops from orbit. In space you don't need too much propulsion because there is no friction. Space farts can take you a long way.

I really don't see a reason to bring the leviathan into the atmosphere of a planet other than intimidation.

i would think it enters atmosphere so the pods containing the troops doesn't burn in the same atmosphere (or crash into a pulp) since the pods dont have any way to deacelerate...
A wizard did it
"How do zerg get back INTO an Overlord?"

Well you see when a daddy zerg and a mommy overlord love each other very much...
Levi doesn't descend into atmosphere, it sends drop-pods.
What I want to know is how the Leviathan can generate it's own anti-gravity when it is a fully living and organic creature.

And I've always wondering about anti-gravity in general... Like how does the Hyperion and ships alike to it do it? How do the Protoss do it?

The only way I know to generate anti-gravity is to have the spacecraft rotating or constantly doing a barrel roll and still moving side to side/back to front/up to down while maintaining the constant rotation.

But we don't see any ships, organic and metal alike, doing that in Starcraft lore.
Edited by EvilCreature on 5/25/2013 1:07 PM PDT
Do you mean artificial gravity?
Do you mean artificial gravity?

Yeah, that.
OK haha because I put down a big post where I dicussed different things which counteract gravity (anti-gravity) like helicopters and blimps. Then I realized that what you meant was artificial gravity, not anti-gravity.

Well as far as I can tell, it's all mostly science fiction. There are various theories about using magnets or small black holes to create artificial gravity. There have been a number of experiments, using various methods, which have produced tiny amounts of artificial gravity. But there is nothing in the real world which could adequately explain what we see in StarCraft.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]