StarCraft® II

Hots constantly freezes and locks up

Hey guys, so my problem is that my Starcraft (hots) is constantly freezing mid game and I can't seem to figure out why, the thing is this only started when I bought Hots and wings of liberty would run fine till I bought and installed hots

I've already tried repairing the game via launcher, update drivers, run the unit preloader

My computer is also more than capable of running this game

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help
Reply Quote
Same with me. Drivers are updated and temperature is fine. It all started with the expansion.
Reply Quote
Yup, same problem. Didnt have any problems until I patched it to accomodate Hots (I haven't bought Hots because I want to fix the crash first so I'm still running WoL). Game crashes mid-game every once in a while and I have to do a hard restart.
Reply Quote
I've found that the second time I start the game it seems to not freeze as often.

So ill start SC, go into a game, it freezes and then ill just restart it and it wont freeze anymore. oh and i also use the unit preloader.

Ever since installing Hots my WoW seems to be freezing up too =\ ive got no idea whats going on now lol
Reply Quote
I have a similar issue, my computer freezes during Hots on low settings, but I played Wings of liberty on ultra/extreme with no issues before hots came out.
Reply Quote
This just started last night for me. I had 5 freezes where the screen would just freeze with a harsh buzzing sound mid-game and only a hard-reboot would do anything. I tried to do diagnostics on my vid ram and my main ram. Also updated my nvidia drivers. No luck. Very frustrating. Does anyone know how to check what the cause of the freeze was?
Reply Quote
I have the same issue. temps are normal and i play much more demanding games on this rig for HOURS and no issues. But, I will get hard hang ups with sound and GFX issues every so often that force me to reboot the system. WoL never had an issue but HotS does. very dissappointing on top of the POINTLESS disc included in the box ( for those who don't know about this - you have to DOWNLOAD the entire game instead of install it . you put the disc in and it installs NOTHING after calling blizzard they wanted me to update my mozilla....)

ATI 5870 1gig
amd x4 phenom 955 black edition @ 3.7 ghz
8gig corsair ddr 3 1600 ram
MSI 870 - g45 motherboard
Sound blaster x-fi xtreme gamer fatality sound card
Reply Quote
This has been happening for well over 3 months now ever since i started playing again, in anticipation of the expansion, and even in the few months before it. When I'm in the middle of a match, the game freezes up and so does the audio, (which gives off a static like buzzing sound). The only way to get it back to normal is holding the power button and cutting the power. I am so angry with this game now its ridiculous. I have called Blizzard and they all try to point me towards my computer. I have tried almost everything to fix this problem after extensive research and have found no solution. This is complete BS as I know my computer can handle this game. I'm running an I7 with 8 GB RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce 540M. This is definitely arising from the game itself. I have been on countless forums, and have read countless stories of the same problem happening to other people with even better hardware. This is the biggest pain I have ever experienced and Blizzard is doing nothing about this Issue. Basically, I brought a game I cannot play and have been pointing others away from SC2 because of this issue. If Blizzard cannot help me fix this problem, I'm sure they are not doing anything for anybody else, which I feel is poor customer treatment. Are they even trying to resolve this Issue?

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/8/2013, 22:28:47
Machine name: BRIAN-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130104-1431)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Dell System XPS L502X
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8086MB RAM
Page File: 2401MB used, 13768MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

*** For graphics driver, looks like the default is set to the Intel HD Graphics Family. However, my NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M kicked is while playing when I set it up to my 42 inch TV, and the game still crashed.

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0116&SUBSYS_050E1028&REV_09
Display Memory: 1696 MB
Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
Shared Memory: 1632 MB
Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: AUO22EC
Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (60.008Hz)
Output Type: Internal
Driver Name: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumdx32,igd10umd32,igd10umd32
Driver File Version: 8.15.0010.2455 (English)
Driver Version: 8.15.10.2455
DDI Version: 10.1
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail

*** Please help Blizzard, this is unfair for your customers. We are very unsatisfied
Reply Quote
Its not a problem with anyone's computer, it is a problem with the game.
Reply Quote
Then why is this still not fixed? They put a game on the market that is faulty........ like wtf?
Reply Quote
Yep my GF is also having this problem...
Reply Quote
I am not sure if my problems are similar, but I had no issues running WoL and HoTS until last week when I was disconnected from the Server multiple times and the game was freezing and skipping. I have spent my entire afternoon looking up computer troubleshooting guides and have pinged everyone on DOS, checked my speed, my connections, rebooted, de-fragged, virus scan, checked the processes in Task Manager... I know this OS and Hardware can support SC2 because I have playing with it since 2011. I realize Blizzard has some "Achievement" issues today, but man... they might lose a customer if I can't play a smooth easy game. Hell, I was booted from an vs AI game!
Reply Quote
It doesnt sound like you are having the same issue as your problems only started recently. What kind of hardware are you running? Also, we already bought the game, therefore Blizzard can give a !@#$ less if we stop playing lol Does anybody know what Blizzard is doing about this problem or do they simply not care?
Reply Quote
Blizzard will at least care until Legacy of the Void is out... they haven't given me a reason to think they aren't caring now though
Reply Quote
@Yours - Usually Mid-Game Lock-ups indicate Overheat, Sound or Memory issues. In some cases the Hard-Disk is starting to go and hitting a bad part of the Disk. (Listing computer specs help + HDD + Pagefile Info).

@BCass - Really sounds like an Overheat... I'm assuming this a Laptop with a i7QM Processor. See if you can disable the Intel Graphics HD via Bios first, then in the Control Panel. Intel HD Graphics are very, VERY poorly written. Otherwise, try the issues above.

@Valkyrie - Firewalls, Anti-Virus and PeerBlock (or similar) cause these issues. SC2 HOTS is NOT WOL. Therefore, if you have exemptions on WOL it will NOT work for HOTS. Then again, your ISP might be having downtime, maintenance or issues in general. Run a Tracert in the command-line. I use Google to echo, so your syntax should read

tracert www.google.com

Your pings should all be less than 25ms for broadband. If you have DSL, be more lenient.

@Game Blamers - If it runs fine on most computers, then its your computer... Not saying your computer sucks, but computers require proper setup and regular maintenance. If a 5 year old AMD Machine sitting in the corner of my house can play HOTS @ 350FPS with no issues, its your computer.
Reply Quote
@bcass

I have the exact same laptop, except I have 6GB ram and windows 8. Same issues, it freezes with a buzzing sound which sometimes gets fixed by minimizing to the start menu and reopening , other times nothing works except pulling out my laptop battery and power.

I changed the default graphics to nvidia card for everytime but I still have the issues.

Did you ever find a solution to the problem?
Reply Quote
Has there been any acknowledgement of this as a Hots game bug/problem, or is it all attributed to "your computer". I run into this a LOT and it is very frustrating. I am battling hard for promotion, but having all these forfeits on my record isn't helping.

I do notice that I get these hang ups a lot at home and never when I play on my work machine. Sooo, I think there might be something to the "it's you machine" argument, but I never had a problem with WOL, so if it is my computer it is still a result of the upgrade tickling ~something~.

I have all up-to-date drivers, but I am playing on a Dell XPS laptop with a GeForce 525M graphics card with 4G of total video memory (1G dedicated). Again, more than enough in WOL.

I have tried a few things. I have lowered the graphics setting to Low, turned off all physics (since that was new with the Hots patch), and played with the Wifi channels. No good.

I don't think it is temperature because I will get booted on my first game, sometimes on the third scv!

I hope blizzard can give us an update on this... If it is at least on their radar.

Love the game to much to quit, but it is to frustrating to play!
Reply Quote
Quick update:

I ran the game with HWMonitor and found my temps were 87/92C for the CPU and 91C for the GPU. The CPU exceeding the 60C max and the GPU exceeding the 80C max recommended.

I found this video on youtube:

http://youtu.be/Zj6QfkTi1AY

It gives some simple power management settings that dropped my CPU temps to 70C and the GPU to 71C. The CPU is still over, a little, but GPU is at least safe.

Still locked up in my second game (which at least was matchmaking against the AI this time).

Hope that info helps debug this, and helps someone else run a little cooler.
Reply Quote
bump...
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Can you post some computer information from the Direct X Diagnostic Tool (dxdiag)?

After you've created the dxdiag report file, open it up, and copy and paste everything, except after this section:
------------------
DirectShow Filters
------------------

After you paste everything into a post, highlight everything, and hit the "pre" button (It says "Code Blocks" when you hover your mouse over it). That'll make the information much more readable.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]