StarCraft® II

How do you deal with storms?

I'm not crying imba but I really think storms are a little too strong. Like, the only time i ever lose to protoss anymore is when they go templar tech. I am a high plat player, and i can usually beat diamonds in all matchups, and TvP is holding me back. I know you get ghosts, but snipe doesnt 1 shot templars anymore and emps are really hard to get when they keep the templars behind their army and have detection, while feedback will outright kill a ghost. I'm not whining im just looking for some help because I lose no matter what vs storms even if i have superior army supply and macro. thanks
Reply Quote
BUMP
Reply Quote
Scouting it and getting Ghost to EMP/Snipe them before they can. Use your CC to see a moving army and send your ghost to snipe the energy and the shields from the Templars in the deathball.
That is how it was before I quit to play dota 2 I see no reason that should have changed.
Edited by IIIIIIIIIIII on 3/23/2013 6:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
well dealing with storms requires playing a macro game against protoss usually, so i dont really deal with it at all normally :p

ghosts, durr i guess. siege tanks + target fire are another option
Edited by JiSooPark on 3/23/2013 6:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Storms at 10-12 minutes or late game storms?

Easiest way is to snipe observers and by easy I mean frickin hard lol cloak ghosts and emp late game. If it goes to late game you have to be very patient, it is very hard for a protoss to attack a terran directly as it is for you into storm. You just have to wait for the right situation where the templar are vulnerable due to no detection or being out of position. So long as there are no templar with energy you can trade pretty well and should come out on top.

In a maxed vs maxed scenario even with a concave you will lose if they have storm and collossus. You need to be patient and wait for that perfect engagement where storm has little or no effect. You will just outright lose if the Protoss wins an engagement and retains about half of his army, as Terran you will not outright win if you route his army because there is a small window of about than a minute in which you have to kill a protoss before he gets back storm. This si where you need your ghosts and if you lost them you're back to square one again.

If its early storm you have to contain the toss to 2 base and bait out storms while taking a delayed third. Its really hard to only move out with storm and secure a bse unless they get that one godly storm that kills half your army of course
Reply Quote
Step 1 scan and kill his observer with your Viking

Step 2 drop somewhere to distract him

Step 3 Cloak your ghost and snipe / emp templar

Step 4 Stim and move in while doing 500 apm MM split just in case there are templar you missed.

Ok at this point you think you won after you clear his army, then BAM a stray templar cast 2 storm on your army then now all your MM is red. then Toss just warp-in another 20 zealot to clean up your army...

Repeat Step 1...
Reply Quote
Easy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMAfBWrVyMM

just do this, no problem.
Reply Quote
Step 1 scan and kill his observer with your Viking

Step 2 drop somewhere to distract him

Step 3 Cloak your ghost and snipe / emp templar

Step 4 Stim and move in while doing 500 apm MM split just in case there are templar you missed.

Ok at this point you think you won after you clear his army, then BAM a stray templar cast 2 storm on your army then now all your MM is red. then Toss just warp-in another 20 zealot to clean up your army...

Repeat Step 1...

Lol so true.
Reply Quote
siege tanks + target fire are another option
Never do this. Siege Tanks are just way too immobile, plus they cost more, plus they don't kill Templar quickly enough, plus they come from a more expensive production facility... you get the idea.

No, actually you just scan or something, and pull back most of your Bio if you see so much as a glimpse of any remaining Templar and then use your Ghosts to EMP/Snipe the remaining Templar.
Edited by Fencar on 3/25/2013 7:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/25/2013 07:40 AMPosted by Fencar
siege tanks + target fire are another option
Never do this. Siege Tanks are just way too immobile, plus they cost more, plus they don't kill Templar quickly enough, plus they come from a more expensive production facility... you get the idea.

No, actually you just scan or something, and pull back most of your Bio if you see so much as a glimpse of any remaining Templar and then use your Ghosts to EMP/Snipe the remaining Templar.

Fencar, siege tanks can work vs both HT and collosus, this is why they cost more
you're right that for earlier players it is better to use ghost but Byun uses +2 tanks even +3 some games so it can be done (and its how i prefer to do it, or did back in WOL)
Reply Quote
03/25/2013 07:47 AMPosted by JiSooPark

Fencar, siege tanks can work vs both HT and collosus, this is why they cost more
you're right that for earlier players it is better to use ghost but Byun uses +2 tanks even +3 some games so it can be done (and its how i prefer to do it, or did back in WOL)
I just have an image of MMM Tank losing to a Protoss player who seemed to play way worse and would always attack into the siege line. It can probably work, but there's no way I'm ever trying it after seeing that game.
Reply Quote

I just have an image of MMM Tank losing to a Protoss player who seemed to play way worse and would always attack into the siege line. It can probably work, but there's no way I'm ever trying it after seeing that game.

with the new tempest, i think it's not viable in the late game but it's actually pretty solid. mech is a lot better now facing protoss (you still will need some bio) but just some numbers here:

tanks do currently 35 (+3)
with +2 attack, they will always 2 shot high templar that do not have +2 armor (most pros do clumps of 3 tanks vs protoss)

vs collosus they do 55 (+5) meaning they will (roughly) 6 shot collosus

that's really not a lot of supply, for 6 tanks, that's 18 supply and you can 1 shot all his collosus with focus fire + add in mines to make it easier on yourself

i agree that bio is more playable, but with the new siege mode change and mines marine tank became like 5x more viable (the mines add a ton)
Reply Quote
Key to beating storms is never letting your bio get in range of them. Templar are slow so just constantly kite backward and wait until your ghosts get into a good position for emp / snipe or you've picked off enough of their army to engage.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]