StarCraft® II

Swarm Achievements/Bugs FAQ

I will attempt to answer the most frequently asked questions I see about Swarm achievements or potential achievement bugs.

I can't get Kerrigan Power 70.

This must be done in one campaign. Restart on Normal or Casual and get every Kerrigan level to unlock.

There is a workaround if you have a game saved before Conviction. Load this save and use the in-campaign archives (not the Master archives) to get all Kerrigan levels. You should have 59 before starting Conviction, which gives you 11 more (9 for mission, 2 for bonus objectives).

My Kerrigan "total use" (ex: Leaping Death) achievements are stuck/bugged.

They're either bugged or badly explained. Although Apocalypse Now, Release the Kraken & Drop Pods state outright they must be done in a single mission, the same is true for: Leaping Death, Smoking Corpses, Get a Grip, Surprise and So Many Banelings.

The "stuck" counter you see is your highest total in a single mission. If you surpass it within a single mission, you will see the total climb.

These are easiest to unlock by soloing with Kerrigan on The Reckoning, Casual or Normal. Don't forget to defend the Hyperion.

My achievements don't give me the animated achievement banner, even if they're unlocked afterwards.

This is a bug caused by the option "set status to busy when playing." Go to Options > Social and restore to defaults. Then customize your preferences but leave "set status to busy" unchecked.

Are there any Feats of Strength in the Swarm campaign?

None have been found so far:
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Achievements#Feats_of_Strength

Why isn't there a Brutal Completionist achievement?

Because it would be redundant with the Brutal:20 achievement. There are only 20 missions in Heart of the Swarm plus 7 evolution missions.

In Liberty, the Completionist achievement was meaningful because there were paths that chose one of two missions (Shatter the Sky vs Belly of the Beast) and many missions can be skipped altogether.

This is why Brutal: 20 gave a portrait in Heart of the Swarm but Brutal: 25 did not give a portrait in Wings of Liberty.

What are Mastery achievements?

There are 3 achievements/mission in Libery, 4/mission in Swarm. Mastery achievements are the 4th.

Liberty
1. Complete the mission.
2. Altered objective on Normal difficulty. (Ex: Don't lose a structure on Zero Hour.)
3. Altered objective on Hard difficulty. (Ex: Destroy 4 hatcheries on Zero Hour.)

Swarm
1. Complete the mission.
2. Altered objective on any difficulty. (Ex: Destroy 35 sentry bots on Lab Rat.)
3. Altered objective on Normal difficulty. (Ex: Complete Lab Rat in under 10 minutes.)
4. Altered objective on Hard difficulty. (Ex: Destroy three factories on Lab Rat in under 10 minutes.)

Only the first three apply to planet-wide meta achievements or appear on the mission splash screen. The fourth appears in a separate list called "Mastery" in the Swarm Achievements menu, with its own Meta achievement.

My guess is this makes the "main" achievements casual friendly, and offers more of them for a shorter campaign, while hardcore players still have difficult tasks, often harder than just completing a mission on Brutal.

It offers a clear distinction between "just for fun" achievements and those that are really difficult.

I do wish they'd add the related Mastery achievement to the Mission splash screen so you could aim for them without consulting a list or menu.

Are there really people complaining about the story?

Yes, though it brings new meaning to "First World Problems." While it was no RISE OF ENDYMION, I enjoyed it.
Edited by Imaginator on 3/26/2013 1:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Just saying Thanks for posting this!
Reply Quote
Okay, so if we finished all of the missions on Brutal, why don't we get the portrait that is supposed to be given, is it glitched?
Reply Quote
Okay, so if we finished all of the missions on Brutal, why don't we get the portrait that is supposed to be given, is it glitched?

Sorry, that's one I've seen posted a few times but not one I've learned the answer to. =(

My best guess is achievements were offline during a particular mission, but some players insist they already have Brutal credit for every mission (timed in the archives). It's possible (unlikely) that the completion times in the archives are recorded on your hard drive. If so, the only way to check is to see whether achievements -- not times -- you're missing any particular missions.

If you have all of them (and never played anything but Brutal) AND you're showing completion times for Brutal in the archives, then there's clearly a bug, but that's should be enough evidence to ask Blizzard to credit you the achievement.

Sorry I don't know the fix for that one.
Reply Quote

You don't have the achievement for the Shoot the Messenger mission, for example. Play that one again, as well as any others that you're missing.
Reply Quote
03/25/2013 08:29 PMPosted by Penguin

You don't have the achievement for the Shoot the Messenger mission, for example. Play that one again, as well as any others that you're missing.

Pestilence,

Penguin is correct.

According to your profile, you have not completed Infested or Shoot the Messenger. Complete both on Brutal and check for other missing ones. It's possible you or the achievement system was briefly offline when you finished those missions.
Reply Quote
Thanks to this guide I finally cleared the last two Kerrigan Achievements I needed.

Thanks for the info.
Reply Quote
Excellent, that was the intent.
Reply Quote
u didnt even finish whole campaign in brutal. what do u expect. its not a glitch if u didnt even finish.
Reply Quote
I have beaten the campaign on brutal and have not had any problems with achievements up until now...
When I go back using the "Master Archives" to replay missions on hard to get mastery achievements, I don't get them even though I did it correctly... Do I need to get all the bonus objectives as well? Cause on some I think on some I did, but on others I know I didn't.
Edited by csalas on 3/29/2013 1:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I have listed here https://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/8196602947?page=1#5 the best missions to get the achievements 'Leaping Death', 'Smoking Corpses', 'Get a Grip', 'Unchained' and 'So Many Banelings!'

All of them require to reach the number on a single mission.
At least three of them can be get on a single run :)

Good hunting!
Edited by Vadokishi on 3/29/2013 4:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote

They're either bugged or badly explained. Although Apocalypse Now, Release the Kraken & Drop Pods state outright they must be done in a single mission, the same is true for: Leaping Death, Smoking Corpses, Get a Grip, Surprise and So Many Banelings.

The "stuck" counter you see is your highest total in a single mission. If you surpass it within a single mission, you will see the total climb.

Imaginator - Do you know if blizzard will fix this so i can just start on any level from my archives and finish up the kerrigan ability achievements..

If this is even redeemable and can be fix then i would rather just wait and not have to replay the campaign again.
Reply Quote

Imaginator - Do you know if blizzard will fix this so i can just start on any level from my archives and finish up the kerrigan ability achievements..

If this is even redeemable and can be fix then i would rather just wait and not have to replay the campaign again.

You can do the Kerrigan ability achievements using the Master Archives. I have done multiple Kerrigan ability achievements this way.

edit: maybe you confused the Kerrigan ability achievements with the Kerrigan Power XX achievement. For that one, you can't use the Master Archives, you have to either start a new campaign or use the workaround explained in the OP
Edited by BlasiuS on 3/29/2013 12:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I have completed all the Heart of the Swarm missions on Brutal but the portraits or achievement are not showing up on my account. What can I do?
Reply Quote
You can do the Kerrigan ability achievements using the Master Archives. I have done multiple Kerrigan ability achievements this way.

edit: maybe you confused the Kerrigan ability achievements with the Kerrigan Power XX achievement. For that one, you can't use the Master Archives, you have to either start a new campaign or use the workaround explained in the OP

What is the Kerrigan PowerXX achievement? I have done everything except for Crushing Grip and Leaping Death. Which are stuck on an amount of kills i got from the level it introduced it. It that sense i can not acquire them on the archives.
Reply Quote

What is the Kerrigan PowerXX achievement? I have done everything except for Crushing Grip and Leaping Death. Which are stuck on an amount of kills i got from the level it introduced it. It that sense i can not acquire them on the archives.

This is the second thing in the guide.

Here it is again:

These are easiest to unlock by soloing with Kerrigan on The Reckoning, Casual or Normal. Don't forget to defend the Hyperion.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the FAQ. I have a question.

I think it should be fairly obvious to any HOTS veteran that it's easier to get "Brutal 20" through the Master Archives than to get "Brutal 20" by starting a new campaign and playing it through on Brutal.

If I take the easy route and get Brutal 20 through the Master Archives, will my profile page say "Brutal Campaign Ace" when I'm done? I'm looking for confirmation from someone who did Brutal 20 through the Master Archives.
Reply Quote
I did it through a straight campaign, ergo I can't answer.
Reply Quote
I find it saddening that after this recent patch, the issue that I and countless others are having has not been addressed. I have a screenshot showing that I have completed the campaign all in brutal, yet it doesn't show Brutal Campaign Ace nor did it unlock the portraits for Brutal:20... Very unfair to the ones who played the straight campaign all in Brutal and were expecting due rewards...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]