StarCraft® II

Mass muta... seriously?

03/23/2013 06:37 PMPosted by JiSooPark
mutas are all about momentum, if he can get them to your side of the map you're not active enough

i find this statement intensely interesting and surprisingly accurate from my own experiences

"The counter to Mutas is pressure." -Day9 (like 2 years ago.)

On the subject of Turrets, Halby made a good point about Turrets in TvT. Since you are going to get dropped and Turret rings are much less effective against afterburners, put a couple further in his base so that the medis can't hang around and heal his guys or evac them so easily.
Reply Quote
03/23/2013 07:04 PMPosted by MattOverMind

i find this statement intensely interesting and surprisingly accurate from my own experiences

"The counter to Mutas is pressure." -Day9 (like 2 years ago.)

On the subject of Turrets, Halby made a good point about Turrets in TvT. Since you are going to get dropped and Turret rings are much less effective against afterburners, put a couple further in his base so that the medis can't hang around and heal his guys or evac them so easily.

i'll try this out
Reply Quote
I think a lot of the posts on what to do involve some luck such as the widow mine suggestions. Having a few to help is fine but it is a one trick pony, once they know there is a mine, just send X mutas and then all the rest.

The other issue I have with some of the suggestions is that while you are focusing on the mutas, there is a huge zerg ground army ready to overrun you. It is like a double whammy.

If I survive the mutas, I am not ready for the ground because I was focusing on stopping the air. Sometimes I am focusing on the air and the ground army comes before I can finish the counter and lose then too.
Edited by Glassfist on 3/24/2013 5:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
ling bane muta has been then death of me lately.. mines and turrets only do so much but when the rush to mass muta im stuck in my base defending pretty much the rest of the game
Reply Quote
A zerg playing mass muta is kinda like Terran playing TvP, except WAY the hell easier.

The theory behind it is, poke and do mini amounts of damage little by little, while losing as little as possible.

With mutas that move at like 8 million move speed, WHILE flying and cliff abusing, AND can regenerate health for free, well, that's pretty simple.
Reply Quote
what's the normal timing for a muta attack?

theres lots of crazy "hold" stratergies being throw around here, for instance;

Missile Turret upgrade.
Thor
Mines
Upgraded Marines (should have some type of upgrade at this stage anyway tbh)

I'd love to see how you get some of the above, while not being stuck on two base? Lord knows the zerg has/will expand behind the pressure.
Reply Quote
In Soviet Russia, Terran call Zerg OP.
Reply Quote
lol....seeker missiles really? You really think a muta player is going to sit there while you seeker missile him?

Widow mines, thats about it. Turrets dont really work anymore, marines wont catch them.

With the SM nerf, he's right. I had one game where I was 5 base terran vs 3 base zerg and he just kited around my base wearing me down. I killed all his bases, and he had about 15 swarmhosts sitting in a clump with 10 spine and 10 spore at a forward position. I kept trying to engage that with thor, siege, marine, with about 40 high-uped muta just tearing my base. I tried everything and he just ate through my base at an amazing speed while he got some new bases up. He would come in, take a few shots, leave for 30 seconds, come back full health, rinse, repeat.
Reply Quote
I just got murked (killed) by mass mutas, zerglings, and banelings. Who has a solution to this combo?
Reply Quote
I just got murked (killed) by mass mutas, zerglings, and banelings. Who has a solution to this combo?

What composition did you have?

Bio+tank+thor should be fine, you can even sprinkle in some hellbats. Just don't get caught surrounded on creep...

If meching, try to determine the best thor-tank ratio based on how many mutas you see and the upgrades the other person has.
Reply Quote
I find that a marine hellbat timing will usually kill a muta player. If it doesn't the constant pressure afterwards will. What I have trouble with is the billion ultras by 14-15 minutes build. !@#$ is retarded -.-
Reply Quote
03/26/2013 12:34 PMPosted by ScareCrow
the billion ultras by 14-15 minutes build.

Ya, first time I ran into that, I had NO idea it was coming and I got totally blind sided it was horrible.
Reply Quote
03/26/2013 12:38 PMPosted by fingrknitter

Ya, first time I ran into that, I had NO idea it was coming and I got totally blind sided it was horrible.

I'm still not sure how to handle it :(

I'm running into Zerg who will literally only spend gas on upgrades and ultras and of course banelings to defend early. If you skip infestors you can get a ridiculous amount of ultras extremely fast.
Reply Quote
03/26/2013 12:38 PMPosted by fingrknitter

This build was one of the most humbling experiences I ever had in a TvZ.
Reply Quote
To beat the Zerg you have to become the bigger swarm and throw away units like they do.
Reply Quote
My goal is normally to kill them before they get mutas.
Reply Quote
03/26/2013 12:07 PMPosted by rAdiant

What composition did you have?

Bio+tank+thor should be fine, you can even sprinkle in some hellbats. Just don't get caught surrounded on creep...

If meching, try to determine the best thor-tank ratio based on how many mutas you see and the upgrades the other person has.

I had Hellbats, Marines, Thors, and Tanks. Looking back at the replay I noticed the speed of the banelings on the creep helped him a lot. Most of my Hellbats died to banelings before they could do damage to the zerglings and I didn’t have my tanks in siege because we met at the middle of the map at the same time (totally unexpected). Also I had like 6 thors against his 38 mutas. I should have had a bigger army and scouted the map better.
Reply Quote
Not mutas. The problem is how absurd larva inject + free map control with creep gets when Zerg is allowed to snowball.

Mutas lets them indirectly do that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]