StarCraft® II

The Xel’Naga Artifact a Prison? [Spoilers]

This been a little inkling I've been pondering over since WoL but it didn't really seem to hold that much validity knowing 1/3 of the SC2 trilogy until knowing all these new developments in the HotS campaign.

To simply put my speculation: Was the Xel'Naga Artifact in truth a prison for Amon?

I know that Dr. Emil Narud stated the artifact was a natural weapon for xel'naga in Flashpoint (absorbing protoss and zerg DNA) and it's design purpose wasn't meant to deinfested Kerrigan, before he spirited it away with him after betraying Valerian and Raynor to Arcturus Mengsk. Except with the plot developments in HotS Narud apparently had no farther need of it after resurrecting his dead master Amon with Kerrigan’s QoB psionic powers siphoned by off-screen hybrid. Let alone ever been displayed as a weapon used in that capacity besides burning zerg alive or electrifying Kerrigan. If anything, one could say the artifact was rather emptyof its former power by the time it came into Mengsk's possession. So does all that suggest something unknown once existed inside?

Secondly, although its vague and details were never explicitly said the crew of the Hyperion were noted by Raynor to be experiencing "unexplained noises, strange visions - voices in the dark." Why would that happen if it was just merely a weapon?

Also based from what we learned about the artifact in WoL was that it was dated to be a few thousand years old verses several other alien relics recovered by terran xeno-archeologists who determined them being millions of years old. In HotS we find out "Narud's been trying to resurrect his master for millennia.” So these two facts do correspond between each other in the recent creation of the artifact and the time Narud spent working to bring back his dead master.

So that leaves us the question of why the Xel’Naga Artifact was broken into five pieces, separated across many worlds and a derelict worldship only then be left abandoned by the Xel’Naga for whatever reason.

Presumably I would imagine those that survived the Overmind’s revolt at Zerus managed to punish Amon for his treachery yet refused to execute him due to their long standing belief in preserving all life, even eldritch creatures (e.g. Voice in the Darkness), let alone killing one of their own kind. Therefore they would have chosen instead to seal away his spirit and divide his prison so that Amon couldn’t free himself or his shapeshifter servant collectively in one known place. As to why Narud didn’t collect these piece for himself once he discovered their locations I guess perhaps Amon who still had vocal influence sought to bid his time and have Narud build him a formidable army instead to back him up upon his return rather than prematurely rush things immediately which Xel’Naga survivors would notice.

• Providing this entire speculation idea were true, that might explain the very reason Samir Duran’s apparent hatred in I, Mengsk and maybe that odd angry response “You know nothing of the Xel’Naga.” Nurad said before engaging Kerrigan in that null zone fight.

• How the Tal’darim protoss come into the picture, I got no clue really aside from being fanatics deceived by Narud/Amon to safeguard these locations as “holy sites of the gods” until deemed otherwise.

On a final note, in the first version of the Zeratul’s Warning cutscene seen at Blizzcon ’08 Zeratul made mention to Raynor the artifacts he was collecting for the Moebius Foundation were the key to the end of all things. Who knows if that idea been entirely scraped but I still wonder if some iteration of that old Xel’Naga Artifact plot can still have part to play in Legacy of the Void and even maybe have ties with this wild speculation of mine.

Anyone have thoughts?
    Edited by Eroldren on 3/25/2013 11:08 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    I liked your read and it was very well placed together. Well done, your post deserves more attention.
    Reply Quote
    At least someone taking interest. Thanks! I thought like this theory would garner far more interest in it rather go drop down in complete silence. Apparently that's not the case.
    Reply Quote
    It makes sense, it is said that Amon whispers to people. It makes sense that if Amon was inside then his influence would also be drawn into it from the surrounding Zerg. Maybe Narud planed to use whatever power of his that Amon had put into the Zerg to resurrect him.
    Reply Quote
    Didn't think it like that way except that latter idea would then make the entire Xel'Naga Artifact plotline tread a bit to far closely with Unreal II: The Awakening.

Already we have a marshal (and a ex-marine) on a outlying barren world (and his crew) who's hired to gather a alien artifact divided across several worlds. However unlike my idea of Amon being the sole occupant within the artifact Unreal's artifact instead emitted a signal which somehow resurrected a bygone violent race who hid their DNA in a unsuspecting, lowly race.
    Reply Quote
    Very interesting theory. I like it!

Maybe the Tal'Darim had been tasked to guard the Artifact pieces by the same Xel'Naga survivors who wrote about the Prophecy on Ulaan. Narud wasn't a Xel'Naga himself, so chances are high that the Tal'Darim either already knew about him or were so fanatical they wouldn't even let him close to the Artifact.

By Heart of the Swarm, however, Amon has been freed, so the Tal'Darim may have decided to start worshipping him instead. That being said, the Skygeirr Tal'Darim were dark-skinned like the corrupted Zakhul Guardians and used as cannon fodder by Hybrids, so it's more likely they were corrupted. This would essentially make the Tal'Darim encountered through WoL heroic antagonists.

Poor Raynor may get to regret fighting them after all...
    Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 3/28/2013 4:52 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Maybe the Tal'Darim had been tasked to guard the Artifact pieces by the same Xel'Naga survivors who wrote about the Prophecy on Ulaan. Narud wasn't a Xel'Naga himself, so chances are high that the Tal'Darim either already knew about him or were so fanatical they wouldn't even let him close to the Artifact.
    Ha! I forgot to even consider Xel'Naga survivors assigning the Tal'darim to watch over those sites. However, I wouldn't understand their logic of leaving behind their own creations all alone to be subjugated to Amon's corruptive influence if that's the case. Unless being kept away as separate pieces would significantly lowers the danger as we seen in WoL (color scheme-wise) verse those corrupted on Zhakul. Anyway their general fanaticism would be another plausible idea which would've prevented Narud gaining free access to the Artifacts or negotiating for them by himself.

By Heart of the Swarm, however, Amon has been freed, so the Tal'Darim may have decided to start worshiping him instead. That being said, the Skygeirr Tal'Darim were dark-skinned like the corrupted Zakhul Guardians and Hybrids similar to Maar had to be fought beforehand, so it's more likely they were corrupted. This would essentially make the Tal'Darim encountered through WoL heroic antagonists.
    If Narud was spreading the word around that one of the Xel'Naga were returning in the flesh, let alone Amon asking their fealty himself, who wouldn't be surprised Tal'darim be among the first to join? Then again the question would arise was how Narud couldn't convince the Tal'darim to join his cause the first time around if he didn't have control over them initially. Did it have to take a "dead god" resurrected to convince them otherwise?

That's would explain their odd color scheme. It was bothering me so much yet it look so familiar but I see I've completely forgotten about Maar and his enslaved protoss.
    Reply Quote
    03/28/2013 08:54 PMPosted by Eroldren
    Ha! I forgot to even consider Xel'Naga survivors assigning the Tal'darim to watch over those sites. However, I wouldn't understand their logic of leaving behind their own creations all alone to be subjugated to Amon's corruptive influence if that's the case. Unless being kept away as separate pieces would significantly lowers the danger as we seen in WoL (color scheme-wise) verse those corrupted on Zhakul.

Aside from the Mar Sara artifact, all pieces were inside highly-secured locations. I suspect the Stone Guardians on Monlyth were designed to attack anyone on sight, including the Tal'Darim.

I don't think Amon himself can corrupt the Protoss; that's what his Hybrids are for. Of course, one can wonder why Narud just didn't send Hybrids to recover the Artifacts and defeat Kerrigan.
    Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 3/29/2013 5:52 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    A good, well thought out post. Kudos. Unfortunately I don't have much of a reply. Nothing to do here... *flys away*
    Reply Quote
    If your like me, and play through the campaign a few times, once trying to get as much info as possible (aka, get doc Hanson and Tosh as soon as possible then don't finish Hanson's missions until before char) you learn a few tidbits of information, Hanson states that just being in close proximity to the artifact would suck the life from a Protoss. We could assume that this life draining effect was not designed to be used on protoss, but rather for Narud to keep from accessing the artifact, whatever it's purpose. (I am not entirely in support of your theory, but I am not against it, so here's support for your reasoning of why Narud did not go after the artifact himself =p )

One thing I never understood, at least later, is the standing of the Tal'darim, they end up serving the Hybrids and Amon... Upon looking through starcraft wiki, I learn that the Tal'darim apparently are splintered... making Tal'darim a general title for splinterd protoss groups >.> how irritating that i typed this
    Edited by Hopeinmo on 4/5/2013 12:07 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Come to think of it, Hybrids use both Zerg and Protoss DNA, so they may be just as vulnerable to the Artifact's powers as the Zerg and the Protoss themselves, therefore forcing Narud to rely on a third party.

If my theory is correct, then Kerrigan may have made a huge mistake by destroying it alongside Mengsk.
    Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 4/5/2013 12:21 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    So that leaves us the question of why the Xel’Naga Artifact was broken into five pieces, separated across many worlds and a derelict worldship only then be left abandoned by the Xel’Naga for whatever reason.

The xel'naga probably didnt plan on dying =)
    Reply Quote
    If your like me, and play through the campaign a few times, once trying to get as much info as possible (aka, get doc Hanson and Tosh as soon as possible then don't finish Hanson's missions until before char) you learn a few tidbits of information, Hanson states that just being in close proximity to the artifact would suck the life from a Protoss. We could assume that this life draining effect was not designed to be used on protoss, but rather for Narud to keep from accessing the artifact, whatever it's purpose. (I am not entirely in support of your theory, but I am not against it, so here's support for your reasoning of why Narud did not go after the artifact himself =p )
    Come to think of it, Hybrids use both Zerg and Protoss DNA, so they may be just as vulnerable to the Artifact's powers as the Zerg and the Protoss themselves, therefore forcing Narud to rely on a third party.
    Well the thing is when Raynor's Raiders went collecting the artifact pieces they were stored in xel'naga vaults or kept away from being in close proximity with protoss. (The Typhon (supernova) mission although I felt that was more of a inconsistent case of Gameplay and Story Segregation.)

As to the artifact having a similar life-draining effect on Dr. Narud like it would had on protoss, it looks like that wasn't really the case. In the same Flashpoint section I referenced above when Nurad mentioned the artifact as a natural weapon choice for the xel'naga he was also standing in its very presence and he was completely fine aside from being in awe. Although like the Hyperion's lab it was also kept in a force field abound Bucephalus except that didn't prevent it from reacting to the Ihan Crystal placed outside. So even if he had cleverly concealed a personal force field it shouldn't had blocked off the artifact's effects. So I'm more keen to the idea of Narud tasking a third party (terran) as Johnny said before who wouldn't be harmed by its effects. I know not everybody reads and knows the events that happen with the tie-in books but that nugget of information does exist out there.

In extension to the stuff I just said with Narud and the artifact, Johnny, he did have Hybrid latter in the book covering his back while he was hurrying to escape with it. And some were in the same room as well. So that one is bit of iffy one to think about since that idea can be then applied to the Xel'Naga themselves as well who created it. I guess even the Xel'Naga had to draw a line somewhere to its capabilities. Maybe despite the Hybrid being thought as unnatural Xel'Naga successors their DNA still regardless consider "Xel'Naga" to the artifact's detection system?

If my theory is correct, then Kerrigan may have made a huge mistake by destroying it alongside Mengsk.
    Who's to say it didn't survive that explosion and was toss backed where it was lying off-scene way in the back? (Or fell out the room from the other side of the room? :P) That cinematic didn't actually show us it was definitively destroyed or its smoldering remains, or even mentioned in the epilogue afterwards. It can be debated but it is rather a open-ended question until Blizzards defines it fate otherwise in their next bridge novel or LotV.

04/05/2013 02:15 PMPosted by Brathearon

The xel'naga probably didnt plan on dying =)
    But they did know they would eventually die out. But who knows what their reasons were as the enigmatic precursor race who leaves behind their relics, temples, worldships etc. It’s just one those standard lore mysteries. :P
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]