StarCraft® II

Mastery achievement Guide

I decided to write up a guide telling how I got the mastery achievements. If you have one and your strategy is different than mine, please post it and I’ll put a link in this post to yours. Ones I don’t have will be blank until I complete them, unless it’s a link to another post. Remember, these must be done on hard or brutal, and many of these achievements are harder than simply beating the mission on brutal.

Lab Rat – Mad Dash
Destroy 3 factories within 12 minutes.
Max your drones and pump out Zerglings whenever larvae spawns. When you’ve cleared a room, put your hatchery rally point to a point in the next room (and make sure it’s hotkeyed). You shouldn’t run into much trouble at all. The only thing to remember is to kill the final two factories before the boss because that will end the mission.

Back in the Saddle – Nick of Time
Get through the timed parts of this mission with more than 40 seconds remaining.
Save before and after each timed portion. The machines that give healing cubes will regenerate, so you may want to walk ahead a little, kill some Zerg, then backtrack and grab more healing / energy. Don’t conserve your energy – unless you waste a Kinetic Blast on a marine you’ll have enough. Also use it on piles of debris so you don’t waste time standing. When you have the option between releasing Zerglings or gassing the room, I found that gassing was easier since you could KB the large mech in the room. Don’t stop moving. (And reload when you have to.)

Rendezvous – Premature Evacuation
Destroy all Dominion structures before reinforcements arrive. Or at least the ones on the West side of the bridge.
There are two boxes of minerals Kerrigan can pick up to the right of your base. Get them and build a spawning pool and second hatchery. While it’s building and you’re waiting to max your drones, have Kerrigan cast Kinetic Blast on the nearby bunkers (two on the north exit, one on the east, and one by the first cave). They enemy doesn’t have SCVs, so the bunkers will burn down after one KB. Once your drones are maxed, make Zerglings and Queens. Get as many as you can. Take the first cave, and then move counter-clockwise around the map. Use your stun on large groups of marines, or 2 or more helbats. Use KB on helbats, not goliaths. They are your biggest threat since they can rapidly kill groups of Zerglings. You only need structures, so try to avoid the enemies near the bridge.

Harvest of Screams – Psi-lence is Golden
Complete all mission objectives before the 13 minute mark. (This includes optional ones.)
Raptorlings. You don’t need anything else. When the first flash freeze hits, take out the Protoss directly north of you. Get all the units before they thaw. When it wears off, you will just have the buildings. Destroy them and build a second hatchery there. Go north and kill the matriarch before the second freeze. When the second freeze hits, you should have a decent amount of Raptorlings. Send them to the second Psi-tower. You may need to destroy a cybernetics core that is in the way. When it’s destroyed, send your army to the far left side of the map to take out the second matriarch. Burrow as soon as she’s dead so the Protoss don’t kill you. On the third freeze, send all your Raptorlings to the last Psi-tower and it will go down like a drunken Prom queen.
Reply Quote
Shoot the Messenger – My Cool Bay Explosions
Destroy all 3 Protoss docking bays.
Take the expansion to the right before you destroy the first shuttle. Max your drones, and focus on Aberrations (tanks) Hydralisks (needed for shuttles and air) and Zerglings (DPS). Your army should be able to control the bottom half of the map relatively easy; the only trouble area is the Protoss base in the center-left. But you shouldn’t run into any real trouble here, just make sure only your Zerglings die (since they respawn for free). Build ~8 spore crawlers at the warp gates if you’re worried about stray shuttles.
When you’re at 200/200 supply, there should be 3 or 4 waves left and you can either attack from the left or center. There isn’t much of a difference, although I think the left is more fortified. Put both hatchery rally points into the Protoss base. Use Kinetic Blast on Carriers, Colossi, and Archons. Spawn banelings on groups of Protoss land units. Save before each attack, and reload if too many of your guys get killed. But remember, with two hatcheries you’ll have 12 larvae to work with, so keep morphing units as ones get killed.

Enemy Within – Monster Smash
Destroy 15 units with the infested ursadon.
I got this one on my first playthrough without knowing about it. Just have him leap into groups and don’t let him get killed.

Domination – Shutout
Destroy Zygara’s base before collecting 100 eggs, and before 14 minutes.
Army: Swarmlings
Start by clearing and taking the expansion to your right. There are also some baneling eggs just to the north. Kill Zygara. Once your expo is secured, you should be able to push forward to just outside Zygara’s base. It’s probably a good idea to clear out the nearby infested Command Center, and any nearby Zerg as well. While camping outside her base, send in Banelings from Kerrigan, and snipe some spine breakers with Kinetic Blast, but never have your army go into her base. Some units might follow you out; kill them. After around 10 minutes you should have a decent sized army. Wait for Zygara to leave, kill her, then storm her base. Use KB on Ultralisks and spine breakers.
After most of her forces were killed, I moved my entire army to the left side of her base and attacked from there so Zygara didn’t respawn on top of me. The base should fall before the 14 minute mark this way.

Fire in the Sky – Going, Going, Gorgon!
Destroy 4 Gorgon Battlecrusiers within 120 seconds.
Kerrigan: Malignant Creep, Spawn Banelings
You do NOT have to destroy them within the first 2 minutes of the game. You basically need a nest activated as soon as every Gorgon appears. Start by spreading creep forward, but do NOT activate any nests. Push forward with Kerrigan as well using banelings every 30 seconds, and build 4 spine breakers at your base to defend against a Terran attack. With a queen, build a tumor near, but not on, the first three nests. When the Gorgon is getting close to your base, use the tumors near the first three nests to activate them. Once that is done, you should be very close to the fourth nest up the ramp, guarded by a Thor and small group of marines. Kill them with banelings, and use your queens to spawn as many tumors as you can until you get to the nest.
Edited by SurefireWolf on 3/25/2013 11:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Old Soldiers – Home Wreaker
Destroy the Planetary Defense before the first nuke strike.
Warfield’s base has 3 main parts - the Planetary Defense is in the third. You can either go left or right after the first area, I went left. You have three waves of Zerglings and Banelings to do as much damage to Warfield’s base as possible.
The first wave should get Kerrigan to Warfield’s second base. I’d rather get to Nova’s second base, but that’s for another topic. You can do a lot with attack+move, but remember to use Kerrigan’s spawn banelings and Kinetic Blast as well. You’re going for units and bunkers here; don’t worry about barracks, factories, or missile turrets. The second wave should get you through the second base, and almost to the Planetary Defense. When you get your third wave, only target the Planetary. You should destroy it with ~13 seconds to spare. If you destroy it after the timer runs out, you won’t get credit.

Waking the Ancient – Whack-a-Brakk
Don’t let Brakk’s forces destroy any biomass.
Nothing is hard about this one. Use creep tumors to fill the map, and station your army near the center. Whenever Brakk starts destroying biomass (God I hate that word now), go and kill them. Just be aware of quillboar groups that are still alive.

The Crucible – Short Life Expectancy
Destroy the Giant Quill-thing within one minute of it spawning.
It’s all about Mutalisks here. The first wave is easily defended with your Swarm Hosts and Mutalisks, after that you have lots of time to build up. Take the expansion and build a second hatchery in your base. There is no need to defend the expansion. Fill up on drones, and put 4-6 swarm hosts as well as spine crawlers at each entrance. After that, get Mutalisks. 16-24 should be enough. They can also help defend your base while you wait for quill-boy to spawn. Save often, and bring your Mutalisks to the bottom right before he spawns (ignore the other forces). Should be an easy kill.

Supreme – Whose Queen Reigns Supreme?
Complete Supreme in less than 12 minutes.
Right before and after each boss, you are given new units up to a constant. Before the first boss, the game will make sure you have 6 Roaches. Afterwards, you get 4 Hydralisks. So if all 6 Roaches survive, you only get the 4 Hydralisks, but if they die you get the 4 Hydralisks plus 6 more Roaches.
The other important thing is that on every boss fight, your units are instantly brought to you, and all enemies following you disappear. So when you get your first Roaches and whenever you kill a boss, simply have your units burrow and Kerrigan run to the next boss ignoring everything along the way. Do use psionic shift to run through large groups of Zerglings and creepers. The only hard part here is to kill the bosses as fast as you can.
Reply Quote
With Friends like These – Ludicrous Speed
Complete this mission in less than 11 minutes.

Conviction – Fast Break
Complete this mission in less than 8 minutes.
Use spawn banelings whenever you can. They will instantly take out just about any group. You can attack+move, but make sure Kerrigan is in front. When you have to defend Kerrigan in the room with four doors, use fungal growth on the marines and infest the Thor. Spawn a veirophage at the 4 locations, and push on. Nothing much to this one, just save often and reload if you get too many guys killed.

Infested – Once, Twice, Three Times Malady
Destroy the gate before the Terrans gas the platform a third time.

Phantoms of the Void – Dominion Domination
Destroy 3 hybrids with Terran forces.
Kerrigan: +200 Life, Heal
Hybrids are hostile to both you and the Terran forces. You do not have to make lots of Infestors. In fact, you don’t need an army at all. For each hybrid, have Kerrigan attack it, and slowly bring it to the closest Terran base, using Heal when it’s on cooldown. Don’t go too far without attacking though, or it will go back to its starting point. When the Terrans start attacking you, burrow and they will attack the hybrid instead. If the hybrid kills off most of the Terrans, attack him some more and bring him deeper into their base. Just make sure that Kerrigan doesn’t get the killing blow. The first one is actually the hardest.

Hand of Darkness – No-Toss
Destroy all Protoss structures.
You have more time than you think you do, so don’t panic and rush in before you’re ready. There are 5 shrines which need destroyed; two on the left, two on the right, and one in the top-center. There are also two Protoss bases, one on the left and one on the right.
When you get control of your Hive, immediately take the expansion to your right. With Stukov and your two Ultralisks, this should be no problem. Once your drones are maxed, focus on making Ultralisks, Roaches, and Hydralisks. When you think you have a good sized army, take out the 2 shrines on the right and attack the nearby Protoss base. Ignore Izsha’s prattling. Use Stukov’s 3-second cooldown as liberally as you can, especially on Colossi and Archons.
After the first base is destroyed, build up your army, attack the left two shrines, and repeat on the next Protoss base. There’s also some pylons and cannons by the optional crystals which are easily taken out.

Planetfall – Crash the Party
Destroy all Dominion structures before the 5th bile launcher lands.
Kerrigan: Apocalypse or Drop Pods. Leviathan isn’t as useful.
Get an Ultralisk chamber ASAP, and make as many as you have gas for. In the meantime, make Zerglings, Hydralisks, and Roaches, with a few Infestors for Thors. Once you take one of the Terran mineral fields / Vespene geysers, you’ll be able to make Ultralisks much faster.
You will be moving from one side of the map to the other a lot. When you do this, make sure you destroy something while you’re there. It could be an entire base, door to the city, or heavily fortified outpost. Apocalypse is a great way to open up a base. You will kill every unit there, and your army can lay waste to the buildings. Never half-@ss anything. If you attack a base, destroy it. Don’t plan to destroy half a base, knowing you’ll be attacked soon and need to retreat.
The structure you missed is a missile turret on the right side of the map. It is either near the giant door, or the SE Terran base. Both turrets are up on a ledge, so you'll need raptorlings or a flying unit to spot them.

Death from Above
This mission doesn’t have a mastery achievement associated with it, but if it did it would be something obnoxiously hard, like to destroy the Psi-disrupter before the third battery. What a pain that would be!

The Reckoning – Speed Bump
Destroy the Odin before Mengsk sends it out.
Kerrigan: Apocalypse
This one is hard. I massed torrasque ultralisks, with some roaches and hydras thrown in. Take the expansion, and fortify it with 8-10 spine crawlers. You'll still need to defend it when it's attacked, so save before you try and take any part of the city. The path I took was to go past Raynor, turn right, then head for the main gate. You'll want apocalypse for the 2 times Mengsk attacks Raynor; it will instantly kill the deathball of tanks and vikings. You'll want it again for when you assault Mengsks main base. Don't use it on the Odin though, you'll want it for when you're breaking into that part.
Make sure you have 200 supply before you assault his base. Push in SLOWLY, you don't want any of your guys dying unnecessarily. When it's mostly clear, send everything you've got at the Odin. Save often; you'll be needing them.
I'm sure other people have better strategies than this one; use theirs instead once they post it.
Edited by SurefireWolf on 4/2/2013 5:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
For The Reckoning I found that using mass jumpblings is great to take out Odin. I open roach/hydra (I have been playing around with vipers on this mission and they are actually amazing if you have the control) then throw down a couple macro hatches if I havent yet. Clear a small portion of one side of the final base then you have a pretty clear shot to the Odin. I did it without the + primary damage bonus and it took a good deal of Blings. You should try to upgrade melee on the way also 22:30 is your deadline.
Reply Quote
Destroy 20 units with the infested ursadon.
I got this one on my first playthrough without knowing about it. Just have him leap into groups and don’t let him get killed.

It's actually only 15, and you get 7 for free in the first section. There are even 3 more free units killing the exhibits within the room you find the second one. Then just let him get killing blows after your units kill the first archon/immortal you see in the escape pod room, as they can mess him up if he gets in the fray to early.

With Friends like These – Ludicrous Speed
Complete this mission in less than 11 minutes.

Since you don't have anything written here I feel like adding some things. You are able to pick up all of the minerals in the 2 sub areas comfortably, just use your mini-fighters to bait the mines then pick them up. 1-shotting the towers makes it go by a lot faster than the time you'd gain by skipping them. There's no reason to go after the pirate ship though, you'll max out upgrades without the minerals in that area, and the EMP is unnecessary.

Infested – Once, Twice, Three Times Malady
Destroy the gate before the Terrans gas the platform a third time.

This one also easier than it might seem. Just use your infestors to take over the Thors/Battlecruisers/Tanks and back them up with any other unit. Corpser roaches with adaptive plating were my unit of choice, though. For some reason hunter baneling AI really messed up on that last jump, and there are 4 tanks and a planetary by the gate so even if they didn't I doubt enough would have survived to suicide it.

The Reckoning – Speed Bump
Destroy the Odin before Mengsk sends it out.

This one can be a little annoying because you can't just abandon the hyperion, and there are a lot of counter-attacks. However, using Leviathan along with corpser roaches/frenzied hydras takes out the right pathway really easily and there is very little resistance. The Odin gets sent out around the 23 minute mark I believe, and it isn't that restrictive as far as being able to get it done goes. Once you punch through the tanks/bunkers in the last area just lure the Odin away from the planetaries and nuke him down with kinetic blast and the leviathan's 500 damage ability.

Edit: Oh forgot to mention, thanks for writing this guide up, just felt like adding things in where you've not added much information. Probably should have said that to begin with.
Edited by Jaive on 3/25/2013 10:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah, I'll edit the blank ones in. Jaive, you have a really good post there. I'd put links up to it in my OP, but you're still on the front page.
Reply Quote
For the reckoning, I used mass banelings with the splitter strain and the healing acid. I made about 175 banelings and a-moved them. When the Odin was in sight, I right clicked on it. It died. Then I still had enough banelings to destroy the gate.

I spent the first while running around with Kerrigan, infestors and roaches to protect the Hyperion, and destroy some of the terran stuff. Mind controlling the battlecruisers and thors was pretty handy.
Reply Quote
Sweet guide. I'll be referencing the ones I don't have yet.

It's worth noting that kills for the two Ursadons stack in Monster Smash -- you get an Ursadon early before you can spawn units and one later you have to free.

Mutalisks are insanely useful for harvest of screams, particularly with their single-target + armor dmg mutation.

On the Crucible, you can also just defend middle. I rotated swarm hosts to each entrance early but later just rallied everything to Kerrigan.
Reply Quote
I also found for "The Crucible" can be easily done by making some early zerglings, and move them before the two armies begin to fight each other into the Tyranazor's lair. Root them in the ground and wait for him to spawn, then let him get eaten alive. Mutalisk work well too, and just using 25-30 zerlings plus the 3 mutalisks you start with makes it cake. The quillgor's will help you too!
Reply Quote
Old Soldiers – Home Wreaker

You should destroy it with ~13 seconds to spare. If you destroy it after the timer runs out, you won’t get credit.

I thought this may be the issue why I wasn't getting the achievement so on the next attempt I had a good 30 seconds to spare but still failed.

After trying yet again, I was awarded appropriately. Must of been a hiccup. I guess the lesson is, as long as you know how to do the objective, just keep trying until it registers.
Reply Quote
Finished all the mastery achievements. They were all surprisingly easy. Most should be one-shottable with a few requiring an attempt or two to nail down timings. Good luck.
Reply Quote
Edited by SourOwl on 4/27/2013 3:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Ive tried doing the Planet Fall achiev like, a dozen times now and I always seem to be at 68/69.

I dont lose any bile launchers, and im getting the missle turret on the platform near the right side gate. Ive scoured the entire map and cant find anything that I would be missing besides the huge planetary defense guns that im not even sure I can attack. Are there any other random/oddball structures on this map like the missle turret near the right gate that I might be missing due to only using ground units?
Reply Quote
Thanks for the guide, bookmarked this page=]
Reply Quote
Ive tried doing the Planet Fall achiev like, a dozen times now and I always seem to be at 68/69.

I dont lose any bile launchers, and im getting the missle turret on the platform near the right side gate. Ive scoured the entire map and cant find anything that I would be missing besides the huge planetary defense guns that im not even sure I can attack. Are there any other random/oddball structures on this map like the missle turret near the right gate that I might be missing due to only using ground units?

The turret is the only thing I can think of. It might be counting the giant doors to the city as well; the middle one is sort of out of the way. Since I'm sure you have a save point, I'd load it and send out overlords to all areas of the map and kill anything that's red. Worst case scenario, use the cheat code to reveal the map, then reload the save to kill the building. I'm betting it's the middle door though.
Reply Quote
I found it. There is another hidden missle turret on a ledge above the mini base in the south-eastern corner of the map, might wanna add that to your description for your strategy in the guide.
Reply Quote

I've given up on this achievement. Once I got within one building (a bunker in part of the map that I hadn't explored), but I literally had to save/reload 25 times during the last minute just to get it that close. I can't just go back to a previous save because we're talking about mere seconds here. If I go back and waste even 10 seconds sending a force out to the far corner of the map to take that bunker, I won't have enough seconds to take the last base.

I think I need to seriously develop my skills before I attempt it again. I'm just not good enough.

By comparison, the "Speed Bump" achievement was relatively easy for me. I just massed hunter banelings and moved them to the edge of the main base at the 22 minute mark. I noticed that the Odin will actually start walking towards the exit before it actually gets sent at you. So I killed it with 22:25 on the clock when it was standing right at the front door ready to come out - but it was never really in doubt.
Edited by Torloch on 4/4/2013 2:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]