Mastery achievement Guide

I've given up on this achievement. Once I got within one building (a bunker in part of the map that I hadn't explored), but I literally had to save/reload 25 times during the last minute just to get it that close. I can't just go back to a previous save because we're talking about mere seconds here. If I go back and waste even 10 seconds sending a force out to the far corner of the map to take that bunker, I won't have enough seconds to take the last base.

I think I need to seriously develop my skills before I attempt it again. I'm just not good enough.

By comparison, the "Speed Bump" achievement was relatively easy for me. I just massed hunter banelings and moved them to the edge of the main base at the 22 minute mark. I noticed that the Odin will actually start walking towards the exit before it actually gets sent at you. So I killed it with 22:25 on the clock when it was standing right at the front door ready to come out - but it was never really in doubt.

You shouldnt really be cutting it that close honestly. Im not sure what units youre using in your army, but I found mass banelines was the easiest option for me (I used swarmlings and splitter banelings). If you use Kerrigan to clear the Terran base north of your own, while youre getting your economy going, you can expand quickly and really start pumping out banelings, which also serve to defend your bile launchers really well (you need to be vigiliant and keep a force of banelings at your northern expansion for defense).

Some key components to this strategy:
Swarmlings
Splitter Banelings (100% increased damage against primary target)

Kerrigan: Kinetic Blast, Crushing Force, Improved Overlords, Spawn Banelings, Twin Drones, Ability Cooldown reduction, Apocalypse

With this strategy I was able to clear all Terran structures (including Augustgrad gates) before the last Bile Launcher even hit the ground.

You need to remember youll need a flying unit to get the Missle Launchers up on platforms near the Wester Augustgrad Gate and near southernmost mini-base.

You also dont technically need to be perfect about defending Bile Launchers, just remember that you can only lose 2, when you lose a third you fail.
Reply Quote
For the Reckoning, I took the expo quickly then massed upgraded muta with the bonus damage to armor ability. Flew them around the outside of the map (left side) and sniped the Odin. Was able to snipe the palace afterwards.
Reply Quote
For the Reckoning, I took the expo quickly then massed upgraded muta with the bonus damage to armor ability. Flew them around the outside of the map (left side) and sniped the Odin. Was able to snipe the palace afterwards.

Just did this mission, man you are a life saver. Going through the left side with sundering glave upgrades was the answer to my problems! I did this with lvl2 upgrades.

Thanks for the awesome post. :D LOL
Edited by Serj on 4/18/2013 6:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
My latest achievement has been Dominion Domination. I found the same advice elsewhere before finding this thread, and it was very helpful.

The only thing I would add is that you don't necessarily have to use the first three hybrids for the achievement.

I wasn't sure if I could pull off the kiting, so I also mass-produced infestors to mind control anything that came in reach. They went through swarmlings like popcorn!

My order went as such:

1. Middle of nowhere. Killed with Zerg forces.
2. Behind some infantry and 2 bunkers. Ignored bunkers, gave the infantry a Choking Grip just to get them off my back. The Hybrid was killed with minimal help from Kerrigan.
3. Way out in the middle of nowhere. Killed with Zerg forces.
4. I hadn't quite decided on a strategy at this point, so I took a chunk out of the base (thinking I'd skip it) before I wised up. I sent in a wave of swarmlings as a distraction while Kerrigan drew the Hybrid into the base. Because of how weakened the base was, had to pitch in with quite a few Kinetic Blasts.
5. Sent in a swarmling wave, kited with Kerrigan again. It looked as though the Dominion forces would lose, so I sent in the Terran units I'd collected on the side to finish the job. I then lucked into having a Dominion attack wave pass by, so the Hybrid probably would've died even if I hadn't sent in the extra forces.

Next on the list is Speed Bump. I am looking forward to trying Dan's mutalisk sniping suggestion.
Edited by Tidal on 4/26/2013 8:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Dan, your Odinsnipe suggestion worked like a charm. Thanks!

I wasn't able to pull it off quite as cleanly as it sounds like you or Serj did, but it was a world of easy compared to doing it the normal way. Sent my mutalisks in with 2/2 as the battlecruiser's were hitting Raynor's base. Didn't manage to get the palace, sadly.

I spent my time before the assault cleaning out the middle to give my mutalisks an easy path to get to the final base. I used Kinetic Blast to kill a turret by the bridge control, which lured in two banshees that I could chain lightning the controls off of.

I have a suggestion for making Shoot the Messenger's "My Cool Bay Explosions" achievement easier. For mine, I sent about 20 jumping banelings at the furthest west bay. You could probably even get away with fewer, but it was my last bay, and I just wanted to make sure.

Update: It seems my suggestion of 20 was right on the money. I went back to the mission and tried with 12 conjured banelings. Without any upgrades (it was right at the start of the mission), they only barely failed to kill it. Another wave of 6 finished the job with the first detonation.
Edited by Tidal on 4/21/2013 7:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Some key components to this strategy:
Swarmlings
Splitter Banelings (100% increased damage against primary target)

Kerrigan: Kinetic Blast, Crushing Force, Improved Overlords, Spawn Banelings, Twin Drones, Ability Cooldown reduction, Apocalypse

Thanks! I finally got it. The problem was that I was spamming Hunter Banelings instead of Splitters, so I was forfeiting a huge amount of potential damage.

I also found the Infest Broodlings ability to be extremely useful because it allowed me to continue to press the attack when I would normally be retreating.

Well if it took me all of that trouble to get this timed achievement, I'll probably never get Premature Evacuation . . .

Edit: Humorously, I just got "No-toss" a few seconds *after* Kerrigan was killed, but before the defeat screen had come on, haha.
Edited by Torloch on 4/27/2013 12:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote

You need to remember youll need a flying unit to get the Missle Launchers up on platforms near the Wester Augustgrad Gate and near southernmost mini-base.

Raptor lings can be used as well if you wish to forgo the free ling from swarmlings.

Or an overlord spotting for a ranged attacker.
Edited by Mallard on 4/28/2013 10:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yep, I absolutely cannot get Premature Evacuation. I am following the strategy where you go clockwise around the map and I always think I'm doing pretty well, but when my army gets to the last base in the east (with two bunkers and a tank), it gets annihilated every time. I think I might just give up.

I also tried to do it counterclockwise and attack the eastern base first but my army still gets eaten alive by the troops there.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, but the truth is, I'm probably following the right steps but I'm just not good enough - probably bad micro or low APM or something.

Edit: Well I just tried again with an even larger army and I'm not even getting close. There's 1:20 left on the clock, I have about 30 lings and 13 queens, and I can't get past the bunkers. There must be at least 20 marines in that base, plus three marauders, three firebats, two ghosts, and a tank. Around the one minute mark, drop pods come and deposit two more tanks and seven more marines in the back. My entire army gets wiped out in a matter of seconds and I don't get the achievement.

Any advice?
Edited by Torloch on 4/30/2013 8:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
> Any advice?

I only got it after watching this video and *multiple* attempts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZuT8zHCpE
Reply Quote
I saw that video along with several other walkthrough videos and they all do the same thing: Move clockwise with your first army, then bring up reinforcements from the south and take out the last base. But I was unable to replicate the results no matter how hard I tried - either my army was too small or I got to the last base a little too late.

I eventually got it using a different method which calls for going counterclockwise around the map and taking out the hardest base first. It seemed much easier to me and I used fewer units - once that base was out of the way, I only needed a small handful of reinforcements to destroy the other two bases.

After a week of trying followed by a week of trying to forget, I was understandably ecstatic when I got it.

So now I have all the masteries. I can tell anyone how I got them if they need help (mostly I used cheap tricks instead of building a big conventional army).
Edited by Torloch on 5/13/2013 2:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Harvest of Screams – Psi-lence is Golden
Complete all mission objectives before the 13 minute mark. (This includes optional ones.)
Raptorlings. You don’t need anything else. When the first flash freeze hits, take out the Protoss directly north of you. Get all the units before they thaw. When it wears off, you will just have the buildings. Destroy them and build a second hatchery there. Go north and kill the matriarch before the second freeze. When the second freeze hits, you should have a decent amount of Raptorlings. Send them to the second Psi-tower. You may need to destroy a cybernetics core that is in the way. When it’s destroyed, send your army to the far left side of the map to take out the second matriarch. Burrow as soon as she’s dead so the Protoss don’t kill you. On the third freeze, send all your Raptorlings to the last Psi-tower and it will go down like a drunken Prom queen.

I've found that splitter banelings work hilariously well here. Just mass them up, wait for a freeze, and roll in, ignoring all the Protoss. Destroy the farthest one first, or you may run out of freeze time.
Reply Quote
Hand of Darkness – No-Toss
Destroy all Protoss structures.
You have more time than you think you do, so don’t panic and rush in before you’re ready. There are 5 shrines which need destroyed; two on the left, two on the right, and one in the top-center. There are also two Protoss bases, one on the left and one on the right.
When you get control of your Hive, immediately take the expansion to your right. With Stukov and your two Ultralisks, this should be no problem. Once your drones are maxed, focus on making Ultralisks, Roaches, and Hydralisks. When you think you have a good sized army, take out the 2 shrines on the right and attack the nearby Protoss base. Ignore Izsha’s prattling. Use Stukov’s 3-second cooldown as liberally as you can, especially on Colossi and Archons.
After the first base is destroyed, build up your army, attack the left two shrines, and repeat on the next Protoss base. There’s also some pylons and cannons by the optional crystals which are easily taken out.

One thing I'd add is to wait, at the beginning of the mission, until the cooldown expires for Kerrigan's Drop Pods ability. Drop them on the Protoss buildings when you take your base, and when Narud starts to mentally attack Kerrigan, you will still have those units. There are so many primal Zerg in those pods that you can easily take down the rightmost two towers before they expire, and then you have a ton of time to macro.
Reply Quote
Shoot the Messenger – My Cool Bay Explosions
Destroy all 3 Protoss docking bays.

I will add that the docking bay on the far left has cliff access so you can destroy it with a small group of hunter banelings or raptors - it's a straight shot.

Infested – Once, Twice, Three Times Malady
Destroy the gate before the Terrans gas the platform a third time.

It was very easy to get this with hunter banelings. You just take out the bunkers leading up the fortress with Kerrigan (the only real threat to the banelings), max out banelings and send them all at the fortress when there is about 1 minute left. About half of my banelings survived the trip.

Old Soldiers – Home Wreaker
Destroy the Planetary Defense before the first nuke strike.
Warfield’s base has 3 main parts - the Planetary Defense is in the third. You can either go left or right after the first area, I went left. You have three waves of Zerglings and Banelings to do as much damage to Warfield’s base as possible.
The first wave should get Kerrigan to Warfield’s second base. I’d rather get to Nova’s second base, but that’s for another topic.

Ahahaha nice one. For this one, I only destroyed the first base and the units in the left corridor. I did not attack the second base at all. I just waited until I had the two more sets of reinforcements, and spam-clicked the PF.

Domination – Shutout
Destroy Zygara’s base before collecting 100 eggs, and before 14 minutes.

This was the only achievement besides Premature Evacuation in which I had to build a proper army. I trapped Zagara in her base with solo Kerrigan while I built a hydra roach force right behind.

Hand of Darkness – No-Toss
Destroy all Protoss structures.

I started out with hydra/roach but what enabled me to get this was a strategy I read about online where you use infestors. My final army composition was mostly protoss - I had several colossi, a void ray, a carrier, and an archon. There are many high-powered protoss units around the map, ripe for the parasitizing. I also used a lot of impalers.
Edited by Torloch on 5/22/2013 3:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
death from above doesnt have an achievement associated with it in the list, but you can't get the final missions acheivement without doing the mastery for it. It is either a bug or there is a hidden mastery. I have looked online and seen this problem is consistent, except for one person claiming 100%, which makes me think they either got it by accident, or we have different game versions. Anyone have the same problem and/or advice?
Reply Quote
Death from Above
This mission doesn’t have a mastery achievement associated with it, but if it did it would be something obnoxiously hard, like to destroy the Psi-disrupter before the third battery. What a pain that would be!

Um, is that a joke or are you psychic? That IS the mastery achievement for this mission! I have no plan on how to do this... any ideas?
Edited by sokatsui on 8/21/2013 2:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
This topic has three different easy ways to get the achievement in Death From Above: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/9572528752
Reply Quote
Lab Rat – Mad Dash
Destroy 3 factories within 12 minutes.

Actually it's 10 minutes according to my achievements in the game. Maybe they changed it? But ah well, ten, twelve, not too big a difference. Zerg rush for the win!
Reply Quote
08/21/2013 02:42 PMPosted by sokatsui
Death from Above
This mission doesn’t have a mastery achievement associated with it, but if it did it would be something obnoxiously hard, like to destroy the Psi-disrupter before the third battery. What a pain that would be!

Um, is that a joke or are you psychic? That IS the mastery achievement for this mission! I have no plan on how to do this... any ideas?

Easy, just mass banelings while the Psi Destroyer is active for the second time regardless of Kerrigan's prattling and after getting well over 100 of them, destroy the semi-final power link and just send them in before the thing activates for the last time
Reply Quote
I found this one was easiest if you just mass roach hydra and get full upgrades. You need to be able to attack with your army and be macroing up at the same time. Get your expo saturated ASAP.
Reply Quote
Thank you
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]