StarCraft® II

Campaign is so BAD, I don't want to finish it

This HotS campaign story is so ridiculously awful that I don't even want to finish it. It's like a chore, and I feel obligated to finish it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the missions, the units, the features or mechanics. Those are great. It's just the really awful storyline and dialogue that is killing me.

I don't know what changes Blizzard has made to their story design team... but the honest truth is that they are way below the standard of Blizzard quality. It's odd, but this campaign's dialogue is on par with Diablo 3's, which was the most awful story Blizzard has ever created.

So something must have happened at Blizzard to allow 2 consecutive games with horrible storylines and dialogue. I'm a player who likes Blizzard games because they are fun, but I love them because of the amazing stories they tell. So I'm very dissapointed in HotS.

I cringe every time I click on a character and have to listen to some stupid, cheesy, totally stereotypical conversation between Kerrigan and a dumb character.

Rant done. I just had to post something. I doubt it will make a difference, but hopefully Blizzard will realize that their storyboard artists need to be fired.
Reply Quote
Well, unless they're gonna go the route of "WoL/HoTS? It was all a dream." Come to think of it......maybe they should.....
Reply Quote
well I think its hard to make an entire campaign based entirely on zerg because there is small opportunity for social interaction. They need increase the intensity in emotions, creativity story-development and character-development. Dealing with the dark voice (amon) and Zeratuls prophecy may be a chance to work on these flaws, After all Legacy of the Void is the game that builds the most anticipation.
Reply Quote
Zerg are non-social creatures. Primals talk more than swarm zerg.
Don't tell me there's a spoiler in this comment, there's a spoiler in my portrait.
It's hard to make social interaction in a non-social species. To suddenly make zerg social would actually make the story even worse.
Reply Quote
Rant done. I just had to post something. I doubt it will make a difference, but hopefully Blizzard will realize that their storyboard artists need to be fired.

Blizzard's storyboard artists are perfectly fine, some of their fans on the other hand ... defiantly need some firing if you know what I mean.
Reply Quote
You could just mute the dialogue, skip cutscenes and not talk to the characters on the Leviathan. That way, you don't have to suffer the story and still get to play the fun missions.
Reply Quote
Yes, because you know, everyone else has exactly the same opinion as you and how they feel about the game shouldn't be considered. YOU hated the story, therefore the people responsible for it should be fired. Nevermind that other people might, you know, feel differently.

I doubt it will make a difference, but hopefully the OP will realize that he or she is not, in fact, the entirety of the human species. I know that the logical fallacy here is a very common one, but that doesn't make it any less of a fallacy. It's too bad that you didn't enjoy the story, but your arrogance is laughable.
Edited by StrangeQuark on 3/26/2013 8:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
One, HoTS is not much different from WoL when it comes to dialogue, or SC1 and BW for that matter. Blizzard has always been known to be "cheesey", many many one liners. Just go back to SC1 and Diablo 2 and so forth... you'll know what I'm talking about.

Second, SC2 is all about taking the story slower, we really get more in the long run compared to SC1. HoTS main focus was to tie up alot of loose ends: we got a lot more information about Narud, Amon, primal zerg, ect.

Third, Blizzard's fan base in general have always cared more about game play and multiplayer online. Starcraft has always been a success since it revolutionized RTS games, pitting three races against each other that are all being continually balanced. Also included is one of the best game creators/map editors around for video game enthusiasts. Who cares about the story if you remember the main reason we all buy the game?

Fourth, the story has more and better cinematics compared to all the other SC stories.
Reply Quote
Yes, because you know, everyone else has exactly the same opinion as you and how they feel about the game shouldn't be considered. YOU hated the story, therefore the people responsible for it should be fired. Nevermind that other people might, you know, feel differently.

I doubt it will make a difference, but hopefully the OP will realize that he or she is not, in fact, the entirety of the human species. I know that the logical fallacy here is a very common one, but that doesn't make it any less of a fallacy. It's too bad that you didn't enjoy the story, but your arrogance is laughable.

I don't claim to speak for everyone... but the fact is that a lot of fans have been unhappy with Blizzard's story work. Diablo 3 was under heavy fire for having some of the stupidest storylines and dialogues in Blizzard history. HotS is obviously much more about the multiplayer elements, but still, I don't think it's too much to expect a good story out of Blizzard.

I mean really... the story doesn't go anywhere. It's just a linear storyline with stereotypical progression. It's almost like the last seasons of "Lost" and the writers have no clue where they are going so they just keep piling on new and bizarre things. And the kind of stuff they pull out of nowhere is just laughable.

I'm of the opinion that all the other starcraft campaigns had better story and dialogue than this one. But that is my opinion. I suppose I was being overly harsh due to my large dissapointment in this campaign.
Reply Quote
Show me your super fantastic story then that is as in depth as Starcraft... oh wait..
Reply Quote
As long as you're not talking about Abathur. Abathur is !@#$ing awesome.

Also, is it possible that you've just grown up? I mean, I thought the stories in Starcraft and Warcraft 3 were great, but I was also a lot younger than I am now. The 'quality' of story that I'm used to has improved. I'm sure if I was still 13, I'd think Starcraft 2 was the most amazing thing ever. Teenagers ARE the target audience, after all. With that in mind, I was more than happy with the campaign.

The biggest thing I think that's changed though are that previously the 'bad guys' won a lot. Warcraft 3 ended with Arthas on the Frozen Throne, Starcraft with Kerrigan established as 'queen %^-*! of the universe'. Now, the endings seem to be a bit more . . . optimistic.

But as others have said, if you're going to be THAT critical of the story then write a better one yourself. If you're actually that good, somebody will hire you. Yes, I admit that I think you probably won't, because you probably can't.
Reply Quote
Give me a break OP. Your taste is bad and you should feel bad about yourself.

Welcome to the loud minority though.

I am sorry to inform you that the reception for the story and the expansion have been resoundingly positive. Blizzard has zero incentives to move away from their current and correct path, to put some salt on your wounds.
Edited by DaveRoid on 3/26/2013 11:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
DaveRoid, knock it off. OP, the best advice I could possibly give would be to just stop playing if you're not enjoying it, and I won't even try to tell you that the story isn't bad, but it is flat-out incorrect to say that the dialogue is on par with Diablo III's. I've seen Mengsk accused of being a comic-book super-villain in WoL, but he isn't. Diablo in Diablo III is a comic book super-villain. Neither WoL or HotS comes close to the things he spouts in his dialogue. A lot of the dialogue for a lot of the other characters isn't that bad, not that great either, but not that bad. But Diablo just brings it all down.
Reply Quote
03/26/2013 07:15 PMPosted by AzureSpecter
This HotS campaign story is so ridiculously awful that I don't even want to finish it.

03/26/2013 09:10 PMPosted by AzureSpecter
the story doesn't go anywhere.

Hmm.
Reply Quote
You might as well finish the campaign. I thought the story was really bad, but I did like some parts and the gameplay was still enjoyable enough. And by "story" I don't mean the dialogue. I mean the story itself. But Blizzard has the same rehashed unimaginative story in all its games anyway so I guess I should not have expected more.
At the end of the day though, it is still a great game.
Reply Quote
Well, unless they're gonna go the route of "WoL/HoTS? It was all a dream." Come to think of it......maybe they should.....

There was a part during my gameplay of the campaign that I literally was hoping this was the case so that there might be a way out of (in my opinion) the train wreck of a story.
Reply Quote
As long as you're not talking about Abathur. Abathur is !@#$ing awesome.

Also, is it possible that you've just grown up? I mean, I thought the stories in Starcraft and Warcraft 3 were great, but I was also a lot younger than I am now. The 'quality' of story that I'm used to has improved. I'm sure if I was still 13, I'd think Starcraft 2 was the most amazing thing ever. Teenagers ARE the target audience, after all. With that in mind, I was more than happy with the campaign.

The biggest thing I think that's changed though are that previously the 'bad guys' won a lot. Warcraft 3 ended with Arthas on the Frozen Throne, Starcraft with Kerrigan established as 'queen %^-*! of the universe'. Now, the endings seem to be a bit more . . . optimistic.

But as others have said, if you're going to be THAT critical of the story then write a better one yourself. If you're actually that good, somebody will hire you. Yes, I admit that I think you probably won't, because you probably can't.

You make some good points here, and I do hope the whining about a bad story doesn't inspire Blizzard to go back to their less optimistic formula of storytelling. I like this new "upbeat ending" tack Blizzard has taken with Starcraft.

While I will agree HotS had flaws, it was always going to be really hard for players to relate to talking bugs. I thought they did well considering what they had to work with. For the record, I consider the story telling of WoL to be the single best story arc in all of Starcraft by far, to date.

Now, HotS did have some flaws. The voice acting of the Protoss NPCs you fought was more than a little over the top, and not really in a good way, but whatever. I was really worried about this installment due to its inherent difficulties and it still turned out pretty good.

And yes, Abathur was awesome. They actually managed to pull that off. It helps that I like the voice actor as I recognized him immediately. As soon as Abathur started talking I was like "....Grunt? You get a new job?" :D
Edited by ElDestructo on 3/27/2013 9:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I agree with you, but Blizzard has never been known for having amazing story or dialogue. Probably the only thing that has impressed me is the Terran and Zerg campaign of the original Starcraft (OMG MENGSK BETRAYED YOU ALL LOL OMG KERRIGAN IS EVIL NOW WUT?), and parts of the Warcraft 3 Campaign.

It seems to me though that they are recycling Warcraft 3's story line in Starcraft 2. Except instead of a main character going from good to evil, a main character goes from evil to good. But the whole Amon plotline is just the Burning Legion recycled, and I wouldn't be surprised if Starcraft 2 ends with "LOL THERE R MOAR EVUL XEL'NAGA COMIN' TO GET U ALL LOL". The love story between Raynor and Kerrigan is just fan service (they knew eachother for like..all of 3 days before she turned Zerg?), I can understand Raynor saving Kerrigan because Raynor knows Zeratul is right.

But I can overlook the awful story because the campaign missions were fun.
Reply Quote
Obvious troll is obvious.
Reply Quote
This HotS campaign story is so ridiculously awful that I don't even want to finish it. It's like a chore, and I feel obligated to finish it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the missions, the units, the features or mechanics. Those are great. It's just the really awful storyline and dialogue that is killing me.

I don't know what changes Blizzard has made to their story design team... but the honest truth is that they are way below the standard of Blizzard quality. It's odd, but this campaign's dialogue is on par with Diablo 3's, which was the most awful story Blizzard has ever created.

So something must have happened at Blizzard to allow 2 consecutive games with horrible storylines and dialogue. I'm a player who likes Blizzard games because they are fun, but I love them because of the amazing stories they tell. So I'm very dissapointed in HotS.

I cringe every time I click on a character and have to listen to some stupid, cheesy, totally stereotypical conversation between Kerrigan and a dumb character.

I actually agree at some points, it doesn't seem like it had the same level of "Blizzard polish" I've been used to in their other games (let's not count DIII).

It does get quite a bit better at parts, but I don't think you'll be happy with the ending, I know I wasn't, it felt forced and cheap to me, a total downer imo.

Idk how much I want to play the third expansion... and I love the protoss (obv).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]