StarCraft® II

Props to Blizz for the Believe In Me scene

Easily the most powerful cutscene in HotS.

The writers and voice actors really deserve a lot of credit for this one. It was especially meaningful for anyone who knew something about Kerrigan's background. Every person Kerrigan ever knew had only used her as a tool and had never bothered treating her as a person, except for Raynor.

The delivery of the voice actors was superb. Tricia Helfer condensed a lifetime of emotional loss and agony into two sentences: "You were the only one who ever believed in me. Do you still believe in me?" She delivered it perfectly and it hit like a freight train. Furthermore what was unsaid was as powerful as what was said. "Do you still believe in me?" If you don't, then pull that trigger because I don't want to live anymore.

I admit it. I cried a little during this one.

The writers, Tricia Helfer, and Robert Clotworthy all deserve awards for this scene. Unfortunately, it probably won't get the recognition it deserves since it's from a video game, but that's another discussion for another time.

Now, Blizz, just don't leave my two favorite characters in a lurch at the end of LotV. They've earned a bit of happiness together :)
Edited by ElDestructo on 3/28/2013 8:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
That cut scene was one of the best in the game acting and drama wise. I definitely liked it.

My main problem with it -- it does not really belong in the overall plot and (arguably) both Kerrigan and Raynor are acting out of character.
Reply Quote
While it was a bit contradictory to earlier games and flawed (Raynor, what's up with your gun in maximum security?), I found it the best cutscene in the entire campaign. Conscience comes close along with Hopes and Fears in my opinion.

Some people even joked that Zeratul gave it to Jim. Sounds viable.
Reply Quote
Raynor, what's up with your gun in maximum security?

If you look closely, in the battle before that cutscene, there is a locker. It contained Raynor's belongings. Kerrigan got the gun for him. As you can see, Raynor's holster was empty. They took it out of the (epic) shots of Kerrigan that were from Raynor's perspective because they thought it was too retracting from the epicness of the realization that Jim was having. This was all confirmed by some person from Blizzard that I can't remember the name of (sorry) in an interview.
Reply Quote
Not to be the guy who barges in and tells everyone to stop enjoying things, but while there's a thread, I'd just like to leave my feedback.

My issues aren't with the cinematic on its own, but the way it fits together with the rest of the story. In WoL, it was established that, essentially, Kerrigan can't die until Amon is taken care of. Maybe she can die defeating him, maybe she can die after setting the stage for his defeat, but not before then. Otherwise, the whole universe gets a bad end, and I'm pretty confident that that's not the ending Blizzard wants this story to have.

Because of this, any mortal danger Kerrigan is in just feels null. At least to me, but maybe I'm too cynical. When she put his gun to her head, I couldn't feel any tension, I didn't feel for a second that he would actually shoot her. Even when he pulls the trigger, and we can't see her, I thought "oh, he's shooting the wall or something." It just felt like nothing was at risk and I couldn't feel anything.

When the stakes are too high, to the degree that the story can't afford to lose what's at risk, then it's hard to feel that anything's actually at risk. What I could feel something for was seeing Jim lose all respect for her, because that's something that can be lost without destroying the universe, so it had a bigger impact on me.

But I don't want to be entirely negative here, and would like to comment on which cinematic was my favorite, personally. When Kerrigan kills Warfield. When she's standing there, looking at him, letting him squirm and curse all he wants, and she doesn't even say a word. She doesn't even react until he reminds her of that news broadcast about Jim. That felt, to me, like the moment she was letting go of her humanity again, and it felt like a strong moment.

So there's my feedback. Not trying to say Blizzard needs to change their writing staff to fit what I like or whatever, I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority here anyway. Just leaving my feedback on a game I enjoyed and want to see do even better.
Reply Quote
I enjoyed it, it was a very strong scene.

I did think "Conscious" was better though. It told a story through the scene as opposed to dialogue, where the invincible Kerrigan, who just overran a planet, is brought to see what she's becoming just by a few words. Plus it was a pretty good sendoff for Warfield, though I wish he stayed longer.
Reply Quote
I thought it was mind blowing. I had so many tears during that.
Reply Quote

I did think "Conscious" was better though. It told a story through the scene as opposed to dialogue, where the invincible Kerrigan, who just overran a planet, is brought to see what she's becoming just by a few words. Plus it was a pretty good sendoff for Warfield, though I wish he stayed longer.

Agreed, this one is by far my favorite. Believe in me was decent, but Conscience was just fantastic.

If only it hadn't been preceded by Warfield being portrayed as a complete idiot during "Fire in the Sky." There's no way any leader ever would be so stupid as to keep relying on the Gorgons after Kerrigan kept destroying them.
Edited by Coppermantis on 3/28/2013 11:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Not to be the guy who barges in and tells everyone to stop enjoying things, but while there's a thread, I'd just like to leave my feedback.

My issues aren't with the cinematic on its own, but the way it fits together with the rest of the story. In WoL, it was established that, essentially, Kerrigan can't die until Amon is taken care of. Maybe she can die defeating him, maybe she can die after setting the stage for his defeat, but not before then. Otherwise, the whole universe gets a bad end, and I'm pretty confident that that's not the ending Blizzard wants this story to have.

Because of this, any mortal danger Kerrigan is in just feels null. At least to me, but maybe I'm too cynical. When she put his gun to her head, I couldn't feel any tension, I didn't feel for a second that he would actually shoot her. Even when he pulls the trigger, and we can't see her, I thought "oh, he's shooting the wall or something." It just felt like nothing was at risk and I couldn't feel anything.

When the stakes are too high, to the degree that the story can't afford to lose what's at risk, then it's hard to feel that anything's actually at risk. What I could feel something for was seeing Jim lose all respect for her, because that's something that can be lost without destroying the universe, so it had a bigger impact on me.

But I don't want to be entirely negative here, and would like to comment on which cinematic was my favorite, personally. When Kerrigan kills Warfield. When she's standing there, looking at him, letting him squirm and curse all he wants, and she doesn't even say a word. She doesn't even react until he reminds her of that news broadcast about Jim. That felt, to me, like the moment she was letting go of her humanity again, and it felt like a strong moment.

So there's my feedback. Not trying to say Blizzard needs to change their writing staff to fit what I like or whatever, I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority here anyway. Just leaving my feedback on a game I enjoyed and want to see do even better.

That all assumes that the survival of the setting does in fact depend on Kerrigan's survival. Just because some of the characters in the setting think it does, doesn't mean it actually does. The point wasn't to set the audience on uncertain ground by threatening her life, the point was to show us something about Kerrigan and Jim.

Now, I do agree that any mortal danger she gets in would feel like it isn't a real threat, but that's only because Kerrigan has been hyped as the main character for HotS for so long. She absolutely could not have been allowed to die until her story was finished.

With that out of the way, I have an entirely different take on the meaning of the Warfield cut-scene. I don't think that was a moment of her letting go of her humanity, I think that was a moment of her holding onto it. Zerg have no loves other than the basic life process. Likewise they don't have any seething hatred either.

Kerrigan's desires to kill Warfield in that cut-scene was one of her more human moments, for sure. Maybe not a pretty moment but being human isn't always pleasant. Right before that she didn't seem to respond much to any stimuli, almost like she was on auto-pilot. The thought of Raynor seemed to almost snap her back to who she was, and I honestly believe it was those feelings for Raynor that caused her to spare the retreating soldiers.

Agreed, this one is by far my favorite. Believe in me was decent, but Conscience was just fantastic.

If only it hadn't been preceded by Warfield being portrayed as a complete idiot during "Fire in the Sky." There's no way any leader ever would be so stupid as to keep relying on the Gorgons after Kerrigan kept destroying them.

Stubborn old war leaders who can't learn to change up their tactics and losing battles for it isn't exactly out of the realm of realism. There was a while back where someone thought that they key to winning a certain war was bigger tanks that needed more gas when gas was in short supply. This failed, precisely because they didn't have the fuel, so naturally they built even bigger tanks that guzzled even more gas.
Edited by Joshua on 3/29/2013 5:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Stubborn old war leaders who can't learn to change up their tactics and losing battles for it isn't exactly out of the realm of realism. There was a while back where someone thought that they key to winning a certain war was bigger tanks that needed more gas when gas was in short supply. This failed, precisely because they didn't have the fuel, so naturally they built even bigger tanks that guzzled even more gas.

Don't forget the conversion from battleships to aircraft carriers. The use of Napoleon style tactics against machine guns and the USA's stubbornly holding onto slow firing high caliber rounds as opposed to lighter faster firing weapons. I believe that last one was in World War 1 when the army believed that smaller bullets reduced accuracy and wasted ammunition not accounting for that in street to street combat range isn't typically the issue.

In the Starcraft universe you could also note that Warfield's plan for invasion failed and Reynor had to save him. We don't know his exact plan but it seems likely, based on how Reynor tried to tell him he wasn't prepared for the Zerg, that he used tactics suited to combating other Terrans. That would be the line of thought he comes from and in many cases it worked for him. He was never quite able to adapt and really too stubborn.

I wonder how much responsibility for the death of those innocents he mentioned could be put on warfield himself. Karrigan gave him several warnings to leave. After the zerg overcame the bone trench and depending on your play style secured two of his three forward bases and took out the labs surely he should have at least considered his men's well being and surrendered.
Reply Quote

Don't forget the conversion from battleships to aircraft carriers. The use of Napoleon style tactics against machine guns and the USA's stubbornly holding onto slow firing high caliber rounds as opposed to lighter faster firing weapons. I believe that last one was in World War 1 when the army believed that smaller bullets reduced accuracy and wasted ammunition not accounting for that in street to street combat range isn't typically the issue.

In the Starcraft universe you could also note that Warfield's plan for invasion failed and Reynor had to save him. We don't know his exact plan but it seems likely, based on how Reynor tried to tell him he wasn't prepared for the Zerg, that he used tactics suited to combating other Terrans. That would be the line of thought he comes from and in many cases it worked for him. He was never quite able to adapt and really too stubborn.

I wonder how much responsibility for the death of those innocents he mentioned could be put on warfield himself. Karrigan gave him several warnings to leave. After the zerg overcame the bone trench and depending on your play style secured two of his three forward bases and took out the labs surely he should have at least considered his men's well being and surrendered.

Ho, battleships to aircraft carriers. General Billy Mitchell actually said air power was the future of warfare, because if used properly they could dominate even at sea, even against other battleships, and none of his colleagues believed him. Three years after he died, Pearl Harbor happened. Like all of the greats, he was treated like complete and total !@#$ when he was alive, and after he died and people realized how stupid they were being, he was of course hailed as a genius.

Yeah, if Warfield really wanted his men to live, it was as simple as packing up and going home. But I've honestly never liked Warfield. he was a fool and a glory hound since his debut in Wings of Liberty. "We've planned for all of that." "You can't plan for the zerg, general. They're not gonna fit into your nice little time-table." Then Warfield says something baseless and irrelevant about how he led five separate invasions against the swarm, while conveniently leaving out details of their success or failure, and then proceeds to get his butt kicked across the skies of Char.

Warfield strikes me as the type who would have continued to spend more money on battleships against the advice of Mitchell. Hrm, perhaps that is indeed a more apt analogy in this situation. Good catch.
Reply Quote

I think you just have intimacy issues. I can see it throughout your text. And the whole " my favorite part is when she's standing over a dying body and plays with his mind before she psionically crushes him."

Yeah, intimacy issues.
Reply Quote
This scene is the only scene in the entire campaign that moved me what so ever... This personally is UNDER appreciated yes I say their storyline/telling is degrading but the true goodness of what was once blizzard storytelling shows up every once and awhile
Reply Quote

I was thinking something similar during this cinematic, yet I had a slightly different take.

During the campaign, Kerrigan couldn't be killed permanently (this is reaffirmed in the voice acting if Kerrigan ever fell during the last mission against Warfield), so even if Jim did put a bullet through her head, it was unlikely to kill her outright. What it WOULD have done is symbolize Jim finally, truly, and utterly losing his faith in her and genuinely giving up on her. That could be projected from Jim's perspective, and I think it would have successfully "killed" Kerrigan on the inside. My heart was in my throat a little the first time during that scene because I didn't want THAT to happen. I didn't want Kerrigan to lose the only true thing that she had ever had.

From Sarah's perspective (and she DIDN'T know about the prophecy that required her to be alive), I can believe that she could "allow" Jim to kill her. I'd like to believe that she would have let him too. That said, even if she knew she would be revived, I think at the very least she was putting what was left of her humanity in Jim's hands and asking him, "Is this worth saving?"

So, I agree that I didn't feel any genuine threat to Kerrigan's life, but I did feel a MASSIVE threat to the soul of her character; the one thing that, on the inside, has kept me rooting for her ever since the original Star Craft (which admittedly, almost disappeared after the True Colors mission in BW).
Reply Quote
During the campaign, Kerrigan couldn't be killed permanently (this is reaffirmed in the voice acting if Kerrigan ever fell during the last mission against Warfield), so even if Jim did put a bullet through her head, it was unlikely to kill her outright. What it WOULD have done is symbolize Jim finally, truly, and utterly losing his faith in her and genuinely giving up on her. That could be projected from Jim's perspective, and I think it would have successfully "killed" Kerrigan on the inside. My heart was in my throat a little the first time during that scene because I didn't want THAT to happen. I didn't want Kerrigan to lose the only true thing that she had ever had.

Yeah but even then Kerrigan returned to the Leviathan a devastated mess afterwards. I think at that moment when she returned, she thought Raynor did give up on her, but was just unwilling to pull the trigger himself.

It wasn't until the last HotS mission when Raynor came back and fought alongside her that she felt relieved, knowing he still believed in her.
Reply Quote
"Believe In Me" stole the show for me...that and the ''My pleasure darling, always was.''

Blizzard was smart to bring them back together. You actually care about the future of each.
Reply Quote
"Believe In Me" stole the show for me...that and the ''My pleasure darling, always was.''

Blizzard was smart to bring them back together. You actually care about the future of each.

Careful, this bringing together isn't the whole picture yet. The trilogy's not over, remember?
Reply Quote
Yeah but even then Kerrigan returned to the Leviathan a devastated mess afterwards. I think at that moment when she returned, she thought Raynor did give up on her, but was just unwilling to pull the trigger himself.

That's a good point. Yet, even though I may be reaching, I can see him walking away like that as him saying, "Our trust, our respect, is no more. I don't know what you are."

If he had put a bullet through her head (even if non fatal), I could see that as, "You... Sarah... is truly dead. You are nothing more than a monster now."

That may be splitting hairs... but I think there is enough of a difference there for it to matter.

If he had shot her, I don't think she would have returned to the leviathan a mess. I think she would have gone cold, having lost the last link to redemption. Her being a mess meant her heart was still very much alive.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]