Props to Blizz for the Believe In Me scene

03/31/2013 12:43 AMPosted by DarthTimmy
Yeah but even then Kerrigan returned to the Leviathan a devastated mess afterwards. I think at that moment when she returned, she thought Raynor did give up on her, but was just unwilling to pull the trigger himself.

That's a good point. Yet, even though I may be reaching, I can see him walking away like that as him saying, "Our trust, our respect, is no more. I don't know what you are."

If he had put a bullet through her head (even if non fatal), I could see that as, "You... Sarah... is truly dead. You are nothing more than a monster now."

That may be splitting hairs... but I think there is enough of a difference there for it to matter.

If he had shot her, I don't think she would have returned to the leviathan a mess. I think she would have gone cold, having lost the last link to redemption. Her being a mess meant her heart was still very much alive.

Technically she DID believe she lost the link to redemption, but because Raynor didn't shoot her, she had to honor his belief there was more to her than a killer.
Reply Quote
Who said that Kerrigan couldn't die? We know she could..."In Utter Darkness" shows one possible future where Kerrigan is no more, without further elaborating on how she died. Perhaps this scene itself could've been the tipping point; a break in the space time continuum where Kerrigan either lives and possibly saves the day or Jim puts one between her eyes and that's all she wrote. Her respawning during the game is explained as she can burrow back to the nest when she gets "close" to dying in order to heal, so I'm reasonably sure a short range blast from Jim's hand cannon would've been her comeuppance.

Anyway, I initially didn't really think the rest of the game flowed with this scene until I went back and realized that if you click on her back aboard the Leviathon her few quotes are quite moving...

"There are no words..."

This broad is a hot mess.
Reply Quote
Also, as per my previous post, I don't think it would be unreasonable to think that Jim could actually pull the trigger. Assuming she can indeed die, if Jim felt she was beyond redemption then how could she possibly risk it all and become more in order to stop the Fallen One? Maybe Jim would've let her live despite knowing that she's not going to save the day, but I think it could be just as likely that in his hopelessness he would've said "F it" and did her in, and face the inevitable consequence later without having a deranged Kerrigan to stab in him in the back...again...and again...
Reply Quote
I think Jim could've pulled the trigger if he really believed she had gone back to her old ways. The fact that she placed her life in his hands told him that she hadn't, but it took him a while to come around to it completely in his own mind.

Contrary to what some think, I don't think their story is over by a long shot.
Reply Quote
Far and away the best cinematic in the game. I'm not a fan of the Jim/Sarah romance and I never will be, but I'll give credit where credit is due - this scene would not have worked half as well if it were not present.
Reply Quote
Yes. She is very much killable in both the game play and the lore sense if not supported by her swarm infrastructure. She can die in game play in the Jim missions or the Zerus missions for example. She almost dies to Duran if it wasn't for her minions recovering and healing her body.

She is not immune to being killed by any sense (especially when her guard is down, like with the shapeshifted Duran and Raynor) and she herself knows it and notes it in the campaign numerous times.

Everything you guys are saying is possible. The only reasons that I was thinking maybe she could have survived it were: 1) Zerg are about reconstitution, and I don't think she is animated as deep-tunneling back to the hive if killed in the campaign, unlike in WoL. If Kerrigan falls in HotS, Warfield literally thinks he killed the QoB, where in WoL he knows that she has deep-tunneled. 2) Duran wielded a blade that looked very much like Zeratul's; i.e. the only thing that could permanently kill a reincarnating cerebrate. The fact that Duran is born of the void and thus likely wields void energies (like a Dark Templar's) reinforces that theory.

Regardless, it is a moot theory on my part anyway. On another play-through during the loading screen it is plainly declared that Kerrigan cannot revive when on board the prison ship. So, if game-play bears any meaning on the lore, she WOULD have been killed if Raynor had put one in her dome.
Reply Quote
Anyway, I initially didn't really think the rest of the game flowed with this scene until I went back and realized that if you click on her back aboard the Leviathon her few quotes are quite moving...

"There are no words..."

This broad is a hot mess.

Well what did you expect? Kerrigan probably was afraid to look into Raynor's mind at that moment, because she was afraid what she'd find was rejection.

THAT is the only thing that's capable of breaking her.
Reply Quote
I think Jim could've pulled the trigger if he really believed she had gone back to her old ways. The fact that she placed her life in his hands told him that she hadn't, but it took him a while to come around to it completely in his own mind.

Contrary to what some think, I don't think their story is over by a long shot.

This is my point. At that moment in the scene, I think the only thing Raynor felt was that if Kerrigan had gone back to her old ways, she wouldn't have even given him the gun in the first place.

But it wasn't until The Reckoning, when she told Valerian to stay out of her way and she'll do what she could to avoid innocent civilians casualties, that Raynor finally saw the infestation was different this time.
Reply Quote
Yes. She is very much killable in both the game play and the lore sense if not supported by her swarm infrastructure. She can die in game play in the Jim missions or the Zerus missions for example. She almost dies to Duran if it wasn't for her minions recovering and healing her body.

She is not immune to being killed by any sense (especially when her guard is down, like with the shapeshifted Duran and Raynor) and she herself knows it and notes it in the campaign numerous times.

My point exactly. Even as the Korhal invasion was underway, Kerrigan told Za'gara that if she's killed, the Broodmother must take command of the swarm and leave Korhal immediately to deal with Amon.

Thus unlike in her first infestation, where Kerrigan was cocky and arrogant, this time she's well aware there's still limits to what she can do, and despite all the powers of Zerus, she's still far from invincible to terran weaponry.
Reply Quote
Easily the most powerful cutscene in HotS.

False. General Warfield's death scene was my favorite. (RIP Warfield ♥)
Edited by TornadoXIII on 4/11/2013 2:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I really enjoyed all the scenes with Kerrigan and Jim together the most. Both the voice acting, and all the non-verbal cues such as body language were great. A lot of that non-verbal stuff wasn't possible with the limited technology of the original game, and I think it really helps set the feeling of the scenes.
Reply Quote
03/28/2013 12:37 PMPosted by DeadlyGrace
Raynor, what's up with your gun in maximum security?

If you look closely, in the battle before that cutscene, there is a locker. It contained Raynor's belongings. Kerrigan got the gun for him. As you can see, Raynor's holster was empty. They took it out of the (epic) shots of Kerrigan that were from Raynor's perspective because they thought it was too retracting from the epicness of the realization that Jim was having. This was all confirmed by some person from Blizzard that I can't remember the name of (sorry) in an interview.

Huh. Well I didn't see that thread before this one. Still, seems like they just made this up on the spot. If they really wanted to, we could have grabbed Raynor's gun as well in the mission. Or had it with us the whole campaign for that matter. Man, I miss the trophies from WoL.
Reply Quote
I just realized something.

The Believe in Me cutscene shows us the fulfillment of part of Zeratul's prophecy. IIRC, Zeratul told Raynor that at some point he would "hold her life in his hands." Which he did in this very cutscene.
Reply Quote
I just realized something.

The Believe in Me cutscene shows us the fulfillment of part of Zeratul's prophecy. IIRC, Zeratul told Raynor that at some point he would "hold her life in his hands." Which he did in this very cutscene.

I don't see it that way. With all the powers of Zerus, you REALLY think if Raynor HAD pulled the trigger on her head it would have killed her?
Reply Quote
I liked most of HoTS, but I couldn't watch this scene without cringing.

'Jim let me hold my your ridiculous looking gun to my forehead and say some emotional nonsense about how you always believed in me'.

I think my problem is that, for me, it's unthinkable that raynor would just forgive her like that. He killed his best friend to get her back to normal, and then she just shows up as the queen of blades (who killed so many of raynor's allies and is the leader of the swarm that has killed billions of terrans) and asks for raynor to just let her be ALL IN FIVE MINUTES.

If I was raynor, the ONLY reason I wouldn't shoot her was because zeratul said she was the only one who could prevent the big bad from taking over everything.
Reply Quote
I think my problem is that, for me, it's unthinkable that raynor would just forgive her like that. He killed his best friend to get her back to normal, and then she just shows up as the queen of blades (who killed so many of raynor's allies and is the leader of the swarm that has killed billions of terrans) and asks for raynor to just let her be ALL IN FIVE MINUTES.

If I was raynor, the ONLY reason I wouldn't shoot her was because zeratul said she was the only one who could prevent the big bad from taking over everything.

The look in raynor's eyes doesnt look like he forgave her. I dont see him happy at all untill you get to the final mission.
Reply Quote

The look in raynor's eyes doesnt look like he forgave her. I dont see him happy at all untill you get to the final mission.

He didn't, but it makes me wonder: what was the reason for him not pulling the trigger?

Because I don't think it was because of what Zeratul told him in WoL, Raynor didn't give a damn about that.

I felt because deep down, he still loved her too much, so as one final favor to her, he wouldn't pull the trigger on her.
Reply Quote
Because I don't think it was because of what Zeratul told him in WoL, Raynor didn't give a damn about that.

What do you mean he didnt? He seemed pretty interested in it after he saw the prophecy missions.
Reply Quote
04/12/2013 05:30 AMPosted by Brathearon
What do you mean he didnt? He seemed pretty interested in it after he saw the prophecy missions.

Ah, but can it be said that the prophecies influenced his decisions in the end?

In the words of Matt Horner:

Honestly, if we had to face her again, I don't know what he'd do.

And that was before she retired from her most hated form as the original Queen of Blades, and (if memory serves) before Zeratul's prophecy missions.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]