StarCraft® II

Tanks still don't have counter TvT

I don't like how stale Terran still is with siege tanks.

The warhound was supposed to stop that but was OP overall and was taken out.

Is there really nothing Blizzard can do to fix this?

Just had a game where went Thor/Hellbat with 3/3 full pop and lost to about half the population of tanks and the tanks were 2/0...

If anyone knows a real way to play TvT without the tanks let me know
Reply Quote
battlecruisers/banshees/ravens can all counter siege tanks, you can also go bio and just go around the siege tanks, there are many ways to play against siege tanks. If i don't go mech or marine/tank myself then i open up bio into air after taking 3 bases, you just need to make sure to keep pressure on with your bio while getting your air ups and getting out some raven/viking/bc, just watch out if he goes for mass marine, then you'll need some siege tanks to keep those under control, but simply having 5 tanks can really punish mass marine.
Edited by Terok on 3/30/2013 5:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I love tank based positional play.
Reply Quote
Is there really nothing Blizzard can do to fix this?

Its not a problem and thats why its not fixed.
Reply Quote
Answers to Siege Tanks that were buffed in Hots:
Hunter Seeker Missile is now very effective against Siege.
Medivac Bombing can now be down at high speeds with Hellbats (which are light and have high life, making them amazing at bombing enemy siege tanks)
Battlecruiser Yamato Cannon costs less energy (Meaning that you can transition into Battlecruisers more easily than in WoL because your BCs can Yamato sooner while BCs are also stronger overall because they can launch 2 Yamatos from full energy)

Answers to Siege Tanks that have always existed:
Using drops to force the opponent out of position.
Banshees
MULE bombing (lategame)

Assuming you're up against a pure Mech opponent, pure bio (without any tanks) is viable. You just need to make sure to pick your engagements intelligently and spread out your units when possible.
Reply Quote
Mobility and spreading still counters tanks.
Reply Quote
Air units or mobility.

Don't ever expect to just walk into siege tanks and expect to win. If it was possible to do that the unit would serve no purpose.

It's an immobile unit that can't shoot air. Those are its weaknesses, use them.
Edited by Vindicare on 3/30/2013 9:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Let them have their moment. Tanks are really only still good in TvT. In TvZ and TvP, Tankless "mech" is far superior, IMO. The purists will argue that it isn't mech at all, but I'm pasting Zerg with Hellbat / Thor comps, with Banshee / Raven support.

I make about 6 Tanks in my TvZ, early, and rarely replace them. If I see he's going fast Muta, I don't bother with them at all, because if he manages to live, I'm going to have an upgrade advantage and enough Hellbats, Mines, Banshees, etc to deal with Roaches at that point.

In TvP mech (which I haven't done much), I get maybe 2 or 3 Tanks for early defense and then it's Thor / Hellbat + air / Mine support, again.

TvT, Tanks are good to have.
Reply Quote
the counter is called micro
Reply Quote
The Warhound never countered tanks, even at its most IMBA state in the beta. Banshee/Raven/Viking will defeat tank armies - albeit only with tank support to deal with Marines.
Reply Quote
BC's counter tanks
Reply Quote
Tanks should be like that in every matchup.That's how they were in Brood War.You have to out position them or transition into air could do the trick.
Reply Quote
Medivac Bombing can now be down at high speeds with Hellbats (which are light and have high life, making them amazing at bombing enemy siege tanks)
Battlecruiser Yamato Cannon costs less energy (Meaning that you can transition into Battlecruisers more easily than in WoL because your BCs can Yamato sooner while BCs are also stronger overall because they can launch 2 Yamatos from full energy)

Banshees
MULE bombing (lategame)

Assuming you're up against a pure Mech opponent, pure bio (without any tanks) is viable. You just need to make sure to pick your engagements intelligently and spread out your units when possible.

Hunter seeker missile doesn't even kill one tank.
Reply Quote
The counter to tanks are the tanks is their immobility. Fight where the tanks aren't. With speedivacs, that shouldn't be a problem.
Reply Quote

Banshees
MULE bombing (lategame)

Hunter seeker missile doesn't even kill one tank.

If there are any tanks that are next to each other, you can launch a seeker at each of them and the splash makes it fatal.
Reply Quote
Transition to Banshee-Viking or BCs. Banshees actually don't do horribly vs Thors, and often the Tank-ing player will neglect to get more than 2 thors. If you can get air dominance and surprise him with a clump of 'shees, you'll destroy his tank fleet quite easily.

After those first few, switch to BCs. They fare better if he starts to go mass Thor. If he invests in tons of Vikings, then go Viking-Banshee.

Mineral dump in Hellions to harass his outer bases and keep him contained. A side benefit is that Hellbats are not half bad vs Thors if it comes down to it.
Reply Quote
Tanks are part of what makes TvT quite possibly one of the most exciting match ups... when played properly
Reply Quote
the counter is called micro
Reply Quote
I feel there should be a better unit to break tank lines. It's not so much that Siege Tanks are overpowered in TvT, it's just that it makes gameplay very stale and boring. Players using Siege Tanks usually turtle, so whenever I attempt to go MMM, they just place Missile Turrets around their base making it impossible to drop.
Air does indeed counter Siege Tanks, but to get the gas to get enough Ravens/Vikings/Banshees to be effective requires late game. Thus making almost every Terran game a long turtle match.

I don't know what they should do, but I still think tanks are kind of dumb.

It takes 2 seeker missiles to destroy 1 tank, so I feel Ravens don't quite "counter" Siege Tanks. They should at least destroy them in one hit.
Edited by JoKeR on 3/31/2013 5:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]