StarCraft® II

StarCraft's 15th Anniversary is Almost Here!

Community Manager
Happy Friday, everyone!

We want to remind all of you that StarCraft's 15th anniversary is only two days away! On March 31, 1998, StarCraft warped millions of us through time and space to the 25th century, where we explored the unruly Koprulu Sector for the first time.

To celebrate 15 years of StarCraft, we have a couple birthday presents for you. First, we have an awesome desktop wallpaper created by Luke "MrJack" Mancini (bonus points to anyone who can guess the inspiration behind the piece). As if that wasn't enough, we're thrilled to reveal that anyone who plays one game of StarCraft II in any online mode between March 31 and April 17 will earn a Feat of Strength achievement, as well as portrait rewards which feature the original Terran, Protoss, and Zerg StarCraft box art. For specific information on how you can earn these portraits, we encourage you to read our recently posted blog.

Participate in the celebration by posting your favorite StarCraft memories here and sending @StarCraft a tweet using the #SC15 hashtag.
Edited by Aldrexus on 3/29/2013 4:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Oh cool date specific portraits ~

To be honest, I like the portraits, I dislike how their date specific but it's cool none the less ^^
Edited by Cookies on 3/29/2013 1:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Portraits are a great bonus. Great tribute to the original StarCraft!
Reply Quote
!!! Old school portraits :D!
Reply Quote
Won't that be cool!
Reply Quote
You cant fool me sir. I know a trollface when I see it. APRIL FOOLS
Reply Quote
Oh cool date specific portraits ~

To be honest, I like the portraits, I dislike how their date specific but it's cool none the less ^^

Yay cookies!

Won't that be cool!
Reply Quote
Sounds freakin' awesome! Count me in of course. =D
Reply Quote
So the link to the blog was done in a rather strange way.

"We're giving you a feat of strength and three portraits! You unlock the feat of strength from playing a game, go to the blog to find out how to unlock the portraits!"

Blog: "As soon as you've received the achievement, all three portraits will be permanently unlocked in your StarCraft II character profile."

Like was it really necessary to link to the blog to tell us that you earn the portraits the same way? I mean, I understand wanting to link together media, but why couldn't you just put 'read more of our thoughts on this blog'?
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft

Whats wrong with that? As I understand it, you keep the portraits permanently there's just a certain window you have to get them under. Kind of the same as the beta portraits, for an example.
Edited by TheSkunk on 3/29/2013 2:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Blam, awesome and congrats!!!
Reply Quote
03/29/2013 02:28 PMPosted by TheSkunk

Whats wrong with that? As I understand it, you keep the portraits permanently there's just a certain window you have to get them under. Kind of the same as the beta portraits, for an example.

I just don't like date specific things, I think their cool and all, but I dislike how somethings are locked for certain periods of time.

For small things like portraits I don't care that much, my main gripe are in things like MMO how the devs make completely awesome areas but only for Helloween. Which then led to me conditioning myself to just dislike date specific rewards and such.
Reply Quote
Sexy old school portraits.
Hopefully one of my comps gets fixed by that time... Both desktop and laptop are getting fixed at the same time and I won't have either for 2+ weeks since I won't be home next week :(
Edited by Zak on 3/29/2013 2:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
I guess I can kind of understand, Cookies, but its over a 17-day period and you don't really have to do anything to get it. It's pretty much just to assure you still play the game, or follow the scene.

If it was harder and only lasted, say, a 24-hour period I might have similar feelings.
Reply Quote
EZ :D gives me more motivation to get placed on ladder.
Reply Quote
I have hope that some day we can have starcrafts portraits!!!

In the meantime, I can't decide if I like the protoss or zerg oldschool portrait better ><
Reply Quote
Community Manager
So the link to the blog was done in a rather strange way.

"We're giving you a feat of strength and three portraits! You unlock the feat of strength from playing a game, go to the blog to find out how to unlock the portraits!"

Blog: "As soon as you've received the achievement, all three portraits will be permanently unlocked in your StarCraft II character profile."

Like was it really necessary to link to the blog to tell us that you earn the portraits the same way? I mean, I understand wanting to link together media, but why couldn't you just put 'read more of our thoughts on this blog'?

Great question! There were a few specific details in the blog that we wanted to make you aware of, but I was worried that their inclusion in the forum post may have some of you screaming TLDR. ;)

In particular:

. . . it is important to note that Campaign, Offline Custom Games, replays, and observing your friends' games don't count toward reward progress, so make sure to play in one of the previously listed online game modes. Furthermore, the Feat of Strength will be awarded only after your game is over, so if you leave that 4v4 ladder match early, the achievement will not be given to you until everyone else has left the game as well.
Reply Quote
This is awesome and the timeline is reasonable for players that are too busy to play on specific days.
Edited by Raver on 3/29/2013 3:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Is there a reason I got it early?
http://puu.sh/2qlnz
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Is there a reason I got it early?
http://puu.sh/2qlnz

We may have pushed the buttons a little early so that you all have a few extra days to get your achievements. ;)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]