StarCraft® II

Beat a Diamond...get put into Silver?

Let me start out by saying...I'm not that great. However I have been practicing a lot and decided to give ranked 1v1s a go for the first time in a long time. I would put my own skill in the Gold-Platinum range. That said, I did my 5 placement matches really wanting to get gold or platinum, and did pretty well. Lost 3 out of 5: two to platinum players, and one to a diamond. The two I won were against a gold and diamond player. APM was decently strong all games (approx 210+) and at the end of it all? I get put into silver...

This isn't necessarily a QQ thread, just looking for an explanation as to why this is. Thanks.
Reply Quote
I won 3 outta 5 in my placements, losing to a diamond player twice. Got placed into silver as well. Played about 10 games as silver, got into Gold, played one as gold and got into platinum. Been hovering in mid plat ever since. You will probably get placed into gold before long.
Reply Quote
I won 1 out of 5 and got put into Gold. I think when you actually get placed the system is a bit weird. Just play as you would, you'll get to where you should be :)
Reply Quote
Oh c'mon OBVIOUSLY 2/5 wins isn't gonna put you very high.

Some people are winning 5/5 and getting placed in silver.

Perhaps that diamond player was a former diamond or something?

Anyway don't worry, ranking up seems to occur extremely quickly if you're skilled enough so just go play 15 games and you'll prob end up in gold/plat.
Reply Quote
2/5 wins won't get you anywhere in placement matches regardless if you beat a Diamond. That can be counted as a fluke. You don't go 2/5 if you can consistently beat Diamonds but lose to Platinum players.

When HotS first came out, I won 5/5 and got placed in Platinum. Just keep playing. If you are Gold or Platinum, you will have no problem getting in those leagues.
Reply Quote
MVP - StarCraft
Let me start out by saying...I'm not that great. However I have been practicing a lot and decided to give ranked 1v1s a go for the first time in a long time. I would put my own skill in the Gold-Platinum range. That said, I did my 5 placement matches really wanting to get gold or platinum, and did pretty well. Lost 3 out of 5: two to platinum players, and one to a diamond. The two I won were against a gold and diamond player. APM was decently strong all games (approx 210+) and at the end of it all? I get put into silver...

This isn't necessarily a QQ thread, just looking for an explanation as to why this is. Thanks.

Placement Match #1 was against Rado, and he was playing his fifth Placement match. Therefore he was effectively a Placement player and we can't read too much into it. He's in Silver now, not that that is relevant to where he was at the time of this match.

Placement #2 was against Meo. Unclear whether Meo was playing Ranked or Unranked (my guess is Ranked) but he's in Silver right now. You mentioned that he was Gold, and I see that his highest career finish is Gold. Were you mistakenly interpreting Gold as his actual rank at the time of the match, or has he been demoted since?

Placement #3 was against Skruey. He was playing Unranked, so we can't really tell where he is.

Placement #4 was against Daniel. He was in his second Placement match, again a Placement player.

Placement #5 was against Artesian. He was playing Ranked and is in Bronze. Again, were you looking at his highest career finish which is Diamond, or his actual league of Bronze?

I suspect you may be misinterpreting the profile screens. If someone is in Bronze now but has a career high finish of Diamond, it doesn't necessarily mean that he is a Diamond-quality player right now. Maybe he gave his account to someone else, maybe he's trying a new race, maybe he intentionally lost all his Placement matches to get down to Bronze (he did actually do this, by the way, as all his Placements were less than 10 seconds in length), or any combination of these. The important thing is that the matchmaker's evaluation of the skill level of a player is not based on their potential but on who they have beaten and who they have lost to.

In any event, you weren't facing Diamonds or Platinums and it's doubtful you were even playing Golds (hard to tell as it's always possible that one of those players could have been demoted in the 24 hours since the game you played against them). I'm not seeing an error in matchmaking, certainly.
Edited by ExcaliburZ on 3/31/2013 11:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Again, ExcaliburZ steals the show. Very useful information, as always.
Reply Quote
03/30/2013 08:44 PMPosted by inSane
I won 1 out of 5 and got put into Gold. I think when you actually get placed the system is a bit weird.

i also got gold in 4v4 after winning an abysmal 1/5... as it was all new MMR i was expecting bronze lol. still i think the system is fairly smart... it placed me in gold 3v3 after 3/5 wins and silver 1v1 after 4/5 wins... which doesn't sound right but is actually where i should be for everything and pretty consistent with my WoL history.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]