StarCraft® II

Socializing young adolescents

Hello everyone!

I am writing a post to spread an awareness of the importance of proper socialization of young adolescents. I will have to admit this is some kind of action that I need to do for a class and would be honored if you continued to read.

Considering our technological advances, we have grown into a society with computers, smartphones, tablet computers, etc. that makes life entertaining and convenient. The wonders that technology brings us is simply amazing!

However, with these innovations, we have taught our young children to lose sight of the importance of proper communication. Most people that I see on the streets walk with their heads down while staring at their portable devices, and they even disregard their surroundings. Heck, I even see children with their parent/guardian's phones while riding their strollers/car seats. I cannot fathom at what these children will grow up to be. If they they continue to get glued to the little screens of these gadgets, most children will not have the ability to properly speak with other people when they grow up. They need to have experience with speaking with other people in order to develop an understanding of how face-to-face communication works.

For those who are going to be parents or are thinking about being parents, think about how you are going to raise your child. Should you give them the privilege of owning their own smartphone/computer? I believe that it's alright if you want to share your toys with them but do not just hand them the device and let them be. Try not to just give them your phone to quiet them down, as it may lead to a bad habit. Make sure you devote your time to them and tend to their needs. Growing up as the only child is not a desirable situation for many, so try to have two kids (or maybe more if you want *giggidy*) and have them play with each other. Another way is perhaps having your kids attend some kind of club/activity. They will have to be with other people in a sociable environment.

Well hopefully someone got something out of all of this. I thank you guys for reading and hopefully you too will try to raise a proper child or help someone close to you with it as well.
Reply Quote
they need to have experience with speaking with other people in order to develop an understanding of how face-to-face communication works.

I completely agree. They need to develop an understanding of how face-to-3-D-holographic-video-chat-interface communication works. Texting won't be enough forever. We need to advance our methods of communication, make them more complex, efficient, and reliable. And I'm sure we'll do just that, or at least to some degree.

I actually wrote an essay over the course of several hours on an English final supporting on-line home schooling (supported directly by public school systems), explaining many different aspects different about school and home and how you could possibly remove those differences. I'm generally terrible at English classes, but I got an A on the final :)
FYI, I'm not bad at English classes because I can't do it. It's because I can never force myself to write about they're awful essay subjects long enough to do a project. Plus, once I stop for a while, I tend to forget (almost purposely, but in a subliminal way) that I have to do the project.
Edited by Engineer on 4/21/2013 6:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Glad to hear that you passed that English final!

I can understand the gripes and woes on writing papers, since they require that I sit in front of a computer for hours on end just to get something decent down.

The technological advances we have gain is truly marvelous, but I do hope society will be able to fix the drawbacks that it has. Thanks for replying and understanding!
Reply Quote
I can understand the gripes and woes on writing papers, since they require that I sit in front of a computer for hours on end just to get something decent down.

For me, I have difficulty just getting myself to think clearly about the subjects, it's like my brain rejects them.
Reply Quote
By portable devices do you mean hand held games or mobile devices? I think mobile devices have lead to an increase in communication. Many times children are already told to be quiet when with adults, and they dont really pay attention to what adults are talking about when they are being quiet.
Reply Quote
What helps them is something that's cool. For video games, a lot of people need enhanced communication skills in order to help socialize children. Such people can't be so preachy; they simply must be educational. After all, education conquers everything. A violent person wouldn't be violent if he is educated. That's not something you have to tell children being educated.

However, slap-boxing can be fun. It's simply how you look at it. Because people are OVERWHELMINGLY STINGY, kids don't learn enough... ... 'nor do adults.
Reply Quote
There's an interesting study which has been done on elephants, which have group dynamics and cognitive ability on the same order as humans (obviously much less sophisticated, but elephants have a sense of self-awareness which very few animals have, and are highly intelligent and social animals).

Researchers studied the behaviour of young male elephants in social groups where older male elephants were still a part of the pack, and in social groups where the older males had been killed by ivory hunters.

They discovered that the young males in groups without the older males behaved much, much more aggressively and antisocially due to lacking the positive role models provided by the older males in the pack.
Reply Quote
They discovered that the young males in groups without the older males behaved much, much more aggressively and antisocially due to lacking the positive role models provided by the older males in the pack.

So, what does this mean regarding the OP? It wasn't really about which individuals people communicate with, it was more about how they communicate or even if they communicate with any person at all.
Reply Quote
im finishing my finals and i agree socialization is important, TV taught me that, it also tells me that i must buy mentos . . . sweet delicious mentos
sidenote when i grow up i want to be like the guy from fight club Tyler Durden. Mentos salesman
Edited by Necromaster on 5/1/2013 9:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/01/2013 08:09 PMPosted by Engineer

So, what does this mean regarding the OP? It wasn't really about which individuals people communicate with, it was more about how they communicate or even if they communicate with any person at all.

It's empirical demonstration of the necessity of proper socialization.

In the case of the elephants study, it's specifically referring to the removal of proper role-models, which was an aspect of the OP's comments.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]