Two obstacles block a happy ending.

Now this final thing is pretty much just my thoughts. I can't help but dislike that people are wanting her to give up so much power and the opportunity to do so much just so she can look human. How much good could the zerg do as a constructive force with their adaptability? Would you ask a woman to give up a successful career just so she can be a house wife?

Not that, if she won't give up the power from Zerus and all that, it's not required. It's merely for her to leave the swarm to be with Raynor. But, it can also be with the condition if a new threat rises, she could go back and command the swarm at any time.
Reply Quote
04/04/2013 02:45 PMPosted by ragnarok
You have a point about her need to control the swarm not being indefinite. Yet how long is it going to take for her to insure that the swarm is at least moderately safe? At least safe enough that if you were to crash land near their hive they wouldn't come out and murder you. I don't believe it'd be enough just to teach Zagara. That would be like making a nuclear reactor with only one pressure gauge. The swarm is way too dangerous to rely entirely on one person to keep it in check when you don't have to. Especially when that one person is capable of change as just as a person can change for the better they can change for the worse.

She's not relying ONLY on Za'gara. Kerrigan told Abathur to give ALL the broodmothers free will and to think for themselves.

I remember her talking to Abathur about increasing all the brood mother's thinking ability and him arguing against it only for her to tell him she wants the swarm as dangerous as possible. Do we have any confirmation that she gave the actual order to make the changes? I don't remember her ever saying, "Do it." For the moment I was under the impression she was only giving it strong consideration.

04/04/2013 02:46 PMPosted by ragnarok
Now this final thing is pretty much just my thoughts. I can't help but dislike that people are wanting her to give up so much power and the opportunity to do so much just so she can look human. How much good could the zerg do as a constructive force with their adaptability? Would you ask a woman to give up a successful career just so she can be a house wife?

Not that, if she won't give up the power from Zerus and all that, it's not required. It's merely for her to leave the swarm to be with Raynor. But, it can also be with the condition if a new threat rises, she could go back and command the swarm at any time.

Such an ending would remove all my objections. I do question what being with Reynor means though. From the way he talked to Matt I'm not sure if he has any real plans for the future. Is he going to disband the raiders and trust the new emperor not to be a crazy or is he going to form something of a watch dog organization? Well plus he'd have to do something to pay the bills.
Reply Quote
@ Darktimmy

The need for context would seem to exist regardless of what body Kerrigan has. I may be mistaken but I get the impression you're saying that she needs to be weaker so that he can be more important. That strikes me as a poor reason to change her back to human. Like asking one member of the couple not t make so much money so the other can feel like they contribute more. As for the side note. Well I mentioned orc and human because it's one of the less strange ones. I've also encountered things such as a human and and troll relationship. Even wrote a story about one of those for fun.

Kerrigan seems to be striving to keep the number of innocents killed even in her quest for revenge down. Well after some prompting. So while she's making the swarm a more powerful fighting force it seems she is trying to make it a less dangerous one. You have a good point about Zagara serving as more of an emergency fall back in the event of her death. She would need more time to implement another system. Time she may not have while hunting for a crazy Xel'naga.

If Jim doesn't need protection why did Kerrigan have to rescue him? Rayner is bound to have upset a lot of people even when helping topple a corrupt government. Those who benefited from the old system might be very upset with him. As for Kerrigan. They are an awful lot of protoss. Even if the group forgives her that doesn't mean they all have and some may be willing to try for revenge. That holds true for the humans as well.

I don't believe you're ever entirely safe after toppling a government.
Edited by Inprea on 4/4/2013 5:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote

The power she wields has been nothing but a constant source of grief and misery ever since it manifested and caused her mother's death. I can very easily see her relinquishing that power if given the chance. Though, of course, now it seems that her power is necessary to defeat Amon so it wouldn't make sense to discard it before he is dealt with.

Seems like a plausible move by Amon to strip Kerrigan of her psionic power (and the link to the Swarm) should he be able to do so.

Constant? Her power is what allowed to her to fight alongside of and help Jim. What's the odds of her ever meeting him without that power and would she have even survived the conflict with the zerg without it? Her power is what allowed her to rescue Jim. Would Mengsk have even kept Jim alive if he didn't have to worry about Kerrigan? Could she have hoped to fight through the prison ship to rescue him? That power let her take her revenge and remove a tyrant from power.

It is also that power that gives her the ability to stand against Amon and while Kerrigan may not be the one to defeat Amon without her his victory is assured. Even if she survived the zerg invasion would she and her family survived what came after? None of them would survive Amon.

I would even go as far to say it was a lack of power that cost her the most. When she was a child she had potential but she didn't know how to control it and power is nothing without control.

.....I must say, I'm impressed. Liked all of your posts so far, but this one, well... *Slowclap.*
Reply Quote
04/04/2013 11:43 AMPosted by Lwyn
You didn't address the issue of whether or not Kerrigan and her family would have even survived the first Zerg encounters or what came after. You look at Kerrigan's past and yes it was horrible however considering what was happening there is no guarantee that her life without those powers would have been any better. For all we know had she not developed those psionic abilities she would have ended up infested or perhaps seen in her parents infested and been killed by them.

We know that her life went to hell. We know that it was mostly because of her off-the-charts psychic powers. We know that it left her mentally scarred. We cannot know what would happen if she hadn't her powers but we do know what happened if she had. She knows what happened. Would it not sound tempting to have another go without the powers, knowing how the other option went? (Figuratively, not suggesting timetravel or any such nonsense)

I don't see how she can go back with the enemies she's made, the things she's seen and what she's done. We may not be able to know what would happen if she hadn't been born with her psionics but we do know what happened to her whenever she allowed another to be in control or responsible for her safety. Given all the people she harmed as the Queen of Blades, even in the removal of Mengsk, would she even be allowed to have a normal life?

The problem with weakening your position is that's when some vengeful cowards can become very brave.
Reply Quote
[quote]
.....I must say, I'm impressed. Liked all of your posts so far, but this one, well... *Slowclap.*

Thanks your post tend to be rather entertaining to read as well. I'm just trying to keep in mind what my literature professor told me. Even an opinion should be backed by actual events and evidence.
Reply Quote
Such an ending would remove all my objections. I do question what being with Reynor means though. From the way he talked to Matt I'm not sure if he has any real plans for the future. Is he going to disband the raiders and trust the new emperor not to be a crazy or is he going to form something of a watch dog organization? Well plus he'd have to do something to pay the bills.

That I don't know, it seemed like Raynor's entire rebellion was only about ridding Mengsk, not what to do after.

I'm not sure if Raynor would go to be with the swarm to be with Kerrigan, but maybe it can be like this.

Maybe in LotV, they can find some Xel'Naga device to remove the infestation, but at the same time, has the power to give it right back to her. That way, Kerrigan can keep the device for herself while she's living her human life with Raynor. That way, should the need arise again, she can use the device to reinfest herself to take command of the swarm against other threats.
Reply Quote
04/04/2013 05:07 PMPosted by ragnarok

That I don't know, it seemed like Raynor's entire rebellion was only about ridding Mengsk, not what to do after.

I'm not sure if Raynor would go to be with the swarm to be with Kerrigan, but maybe it can be like this.

Maybe in LotV, they can find some Xel'Naga device to remove the infestation, but at the same time, has the power to give it right back to her. That way, Kerrigan can keep the device for herself while she's living her human life with Raynor. That way, should the need arise again, she can use the device to reinfest herself to take command of the swarm against other threats.

Wouldn't it be simpler if she just changed? Change seems to be a major theme with the zerg in heart of the swarm. Rather then a Zel'naga artifact why not just develop a camouflage ability that lets her disguise herself as a human? Just think of how easily she regrew her wing after it was cut off in wings of liberty for example. It seems to me that she could develop the ability to shed her shell taking on a far more human appearance and regrow it whenever they need should present itself.

Using such a method there is no need for some ancient artifact, it fits with the theme of the zerg undergoing constant change and it makes sense from an energy conservation stand point. How much biological energy is she using to sustain that armored rump of hers? Bigger and stronger isn't always better whenever energy conversation is a priority after all.
Reply Quote
04/04/2013 05:22 PMPosted by Inprea

Wouldn't it be simpler if she just changed? Change seems to be a major theme with the zerg in heart of the swarm. Rather then a Zel'naga artifact why not just develop a camouflage ability that lets her disguise herself as a human? Just think of how easily she regrew her wing after it was cut off in wings of liberty for example. It seems to me that she could develop the ability to shed her shell taking on a far more human appearance and regrow it whenever they need should present itself.

Using such a method there is no need for some ancient artifact, it fits with the theme of the zerg undergoing constant change and it makes sense from an energy conservation stand point. How much biological energy is she using to sustain that armored rump of hers? Bigger and stronger isn't always better whenever energy conversation is a priority after all.

That could work too, but the Q is could she maintain the human form indefinitely if she chose to.

Besides, the fact still remains, I'm not ready to believe Kerrigan would remain with the swarm forever. Sure, if some greater threat rose, she could go back to lead the swarm to neutralize it, but if there isn't any, she wants to walk away from it all.
Reply Quote
04/04/2013 03:51 PMPosted by Inprea
I may be mistaken but I get the impression you're saying that she needs to be weaker so that he can be more important. That strikes me as a poor reason to change her back to human. Like asking one member of the couple not t make so much money so the other can feel like they contribute more.

That IS an extremely poor reason and I am sad that you thought I meant that. That is not what I meant. My point has nothing to do with power scales or comparisons. I love that Sarah is infinitely more powerful than Jim. To me it removes any confusion as to the profoundness of their relationship, and in a way it reinforces the power of who Jim is.

When I talk about context it does not just involve the body that Kerrigan has compared to the one Raynor has. I said before that I wasn't bothered by the fact that she is zerg and I meant it. One of the relevant examples of context is setting: How will they live? How will they spend time together? How will they ENJOY their time together? What will they do with themselves? For occupation, is Jim gonna be off helping Valerian rebuild the Dominion while Sarah is off developing the Swarm? On their time off are they gonna meet up at a bar and kick back some beers, or are they gonna kick it in a hive cluster and do... whatever it is that zerg do in their time off? That last one was a tad sarcastic, but my point is that without joint effort, the ability to at least get their hands dirty with one another, or some other common ground, how can they relate and share a connection?

04/04/2013 03:51 PMPosted by Inprea
If Jim doesn't need protection why did Kerrigan have to rescue him?

As I mentioned before, Mengsk was the cause of that, and he is dead now. Their list of personal enemies is running out. Jim's is virtually empty.
Reply Quote
As I mentioned before, Mengsk was the cause of that, and he is dead now. Their list of personal enemies is running out. Jim's is virtually empty

And this is why he needs Kerrigan again, to give his life meaning, as he lost everyone else close to him.
Reply Quote
I want some opinions here.

I have a very good idea on how the story might be written to address both the OP's points. I am loathe to post them, however, on the idea that if what I'm thinking is what Blizzard has in mind they might change it if they see it circulating the forums.

Does anyone think that's a real concern and I should just keep it to myself, or is that a false concern on my part?
Reply Quote

I have a very good idea on how the story might be written to address both the OP's points. I am loathe to post them, however, on the idea that if what I'm thinking is what Blizzard has in mind they might change it if they see it circulating the forums.

Does anyone think that's a real concern and I should just keep it to myself, or is that a false concern on my part?

Oh just post them here. Remember, we all saw the leaked HotS ending back in Dec 2010, and the real HotS ending was barely any different, so it's likely Blizzard already wrote the LotV ending anyway, and won't change it.
Reply Quote
That IS an extremely poor reason and I am sad that you thought I meant that. That is not what I meant. My point has nothing to do with power scales or comparisons. I love that Sarah is infinitely more powerful than Jim. To me it removes any confusion as to the profoundness of their relationship, and in a way it reinforces the power of who Jim is.

When I talk about context it does not just involve the body that Kerrigan has compared to the one Raynor has. I said before that I wasn't bothered by the fact that she is zerg and I meant it. One of the relevant examples of context is setting: How will they live? How will they spend time together? How will they ENJOY their time together? What will they do with themselves? For occupation, is Jim gonna be off helping Valerian rebuild the Dominion while Sarah is off developing the Swarm? On their time off are they gonna meet up at a bar and kick back some beers, or are they gonna kick it in a hive cluster and do... whatever it is that zerg do in their time off? That last one was a tad sarcastic, but my point is that without joint effort, the ability to at least get their hands dirty with one another, or some other common ground, how can they relate and share a connection?

My mistake. Whenever you said that Jim would be closer to a pet then significant other it seemed to me you were implying the power gap was causing a divide. I do agree those are important questions with several solutions. Now depending on how Blizzard wants to handle the swarm and assuming Jim and Kerrigan live then the next thing is how do they handle the zergs development? One possible notion I can think of is Kerrigan could be quite busy holding the zerg back while Jim helps to pound out a peace agreement. As someone who's respect by the protoss and many terans he seems to be in a good position for that roll.

Kerrigan's word at the moment is law amongst the zerg so that's the easy part. The other two races might be an issue. I believe it has been said old hatreds die hard. The questions I find really fun though are the ones about their daily lives. Can you imagine if Sarah tried to limit Jim's drinking? Honestly I believe Jim would have to take the initiative. Now I can't help but think of what Jim said about the vultures. He seemed fond of them. Perhaps Jim could race Kerrigan he gets to use a vulture and if she's still the PqoB she goes on foot.

As I mentioned before, Mengsk was the cause of that, and he is dead now. Their list of personal enemies is running out. Jim's is virtually empty.

Mengsk is one person you don't stay emperor without a system. What about those who supported Mengsk and quite possibly lost big do to his fall? Now you have a mess of ghost conditioned to be loyal to Mengsk and he's dead thanks to Jim and Kerrigan. Then there are those who lost loved ones while Kerrigan was the QoB. They are some people who will never forgive and would just be waiting for an opportunity to take revenge.
Reply Quote
One possible notion I can think of is Kerrigan could be quite busy holding the zerg back while Jim helps to pound out a peace agreement. As someone who's respect by the protoss and many terans he seems to be in a good position for that roll.

I can see that happening. Kerrigan could explain to Za'gara and the others that as the old QoB, she didn't understand the need for a LASTING alliance that could benefit everyone, she won't make the same mistake this time.

Za'gara is still a bit too hot headed, believing even with Amon back, the swarm could prevail, and it's not that simple. Kerrigan needs to convince the others that it doesn't matter how powerful the swarm is, it doesn't matter that they're without number or not, the fact remains there's still limits to what they can do.

That is why an alliance with the terrans is vital to ensure the survival of the swarm, and since she already has a relationship with Raynor, that'll be the starting point.
Reply Quote

I am fine with that if that sort of thing is even possible. The whole reason I was arguing is that I believe connection to be paramount. You have to be able to live in each other's worlds for there to be connection. Power is important for preserving connection, but to me it is secondary. I never had a problem with her power, just where it interferes with them as a couple.
Reply Quote

I am fine with that if that sort of thing is even possible. The whole reason I was arguing is that I believe connection to be paramount. You have to be able to live in each other's worlds for there to be connection. Power is important for preserving connection, but to me it is secondary. I never had a problem with her power, just where it interferes with them as a couple.

Yeah I believe it'd be better if Raynor went and associated himself with the Zerg for a little while, maybe get the rest of the Zerg to see him differently.

This was actually done with the Raiders. Remember, when Valerian offered Raynor the alliance for the Char invasion, the other Raiders felt Kerrigan wasn't worth saving because there was nothing in there but a monster.

It was only over the course of HotS that they finally began to admit Raynor was right about her, and there was more to her than just a killer.

In a similar way, the other Zerg opposed Kerrigan's actions to rescue Raynor from the Moros because it didn't benefit the swarm. The first step for Kerrigan for the swarm is to get them to see that Raynor is not just some liability problem.
Edited by ragnarok on 4/4/2013 7:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote

I don't think Blizzard would change their story just to spite fans who may have guessed their ending. I think its highly unlikely that any of us will really guess what they have in mind anyway. Reason being we don't know what functions they have put in place and what they are trying to work with (for example, just how Amon's powers work, what the intended function and origin of the Xel Naga artifact is, etc.). If they HAPPEN to be scrolling through the forums and HAPPEN to find inspiration in a good suggestion, all the better.
Reply Quote

I don't think Blizzard would change their story just to spite fans who may have guessed their ending. I think its highly unlikely that any of us will really guess what they have in mind anyway. Reason being we don't know what functions they have put in place and what they are trying to work with (for example, just how Amon's powers work, what the intended function and origin of the Xel Naga artifact is, etc.). If they HAPPEN to be scrolling through the forums and HAPPEN to find inspiration in a good suggestion, all the better.

Yeah but I just don't see it. For example, we've never seen just what powers the Xel'Naga have. Or for that matter, if Amon's powers are unique and different from the other Xel'Naga.
Reply Quote
Thanks your post tend to be rather entertaining to read as well. I'm just trying to keep in mind what my literature professor told me. Even an opinion should be backed by actual events and evidence.

That's practically verbatim what mine said as well. He's pretty fond of saying, "There may not necessarily be right or wrong answers, but any answer can be more or less supported than any other given answer."

Mengsk is one person you don't stay emperor without a system. What about those who supported Mengsk and quite possibly lost big do to his fall? Now you have a mess of ghost conditioned to be loyal to Mengsk and he's dead thanks to Jim and Kerrigan. Then there are those who lost loved ones while Kerrigan was the QoB. They are some people who will never forgive and would just be waiting for an opportunity to take revenge.

This brings up an interesting point. Even in the real world, there are what I would label "bad people" who will hurt someone they don't know to gain some kind of personal advantage. Like a mugger, for example. These people exist, and in the Starcraft universe, sometimes they're very freaking scary. Having that kind of strength, means you have that kind of strength to protect you and yours. Just because there's no immediate threat, doesn't mean you should lay aside your power.

Really, I don't see how this is much different than martial artists who train their entire lives to fight and kill, and then hope they never have to use what they know. Or someone who goes and buys a pistol for home defense, and keeps it under lock and key until it's needed. The only real difference is that Kerrigan's personal strength is considerably greater than that of a normal fighter, and Raynor is packing much more advanced tech than what is available to us in the real world.
Edited by Joshua on 4/5/2013 3:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]