StarCraft® II

The Overmind wanted Hybrids?

Playing through SC1, when I noticed that the overmind kept obsessing over how the zerg and the protoss are two halves of a greater whole, and the their races must become one in order to form a new, "eternal swarm." (The only reason he attacked aiur, and the protoss in general)

Protoss can't be infested, so I really dont see what else he could be talking about... the overmind was DIRECTLY created by Amon, remember. But this doesn't make sense; once WoL rolled around, it apparently reveals the opposite.

This bother anyone else?
Reply Quote
it's a major retcon yes.
Reply Quote
Playing through SC1, when I noticed that the overmind kept obsessing over how the zerg and the protoss are two halves of a greater whole, and the their races must become one in order to form a new, "eternal swarm." (The only reason he attacked aiur, and the protoss in general)

Protoss can't be infested, so I really dont see what else he could be talking about... the overmind was DIRECTLY created by Amon, remember. But this doesn't make sense; once WoL rolled around, it apparently reveals the opposite.

This bother anyone else?

Did you ever read the book The Dark Templar Saga Part 3 Twilight? It was explained the real purpose of the Zerg and Protoss in there...
Reply Quote

This bother anyone else?

Its not about infesting the protoss, it is about assimilating them into the swarm. That means they will basically be able to mass produce the hybrids by zerg "technology". The current "terran" method constantly needs new protoss and new zerg.
Reply Quote

This bother anyone else?

Its not about infesting the protoss, it is about assimilating them into the swarm. That means they will basically be able to mass produce the hybrids by zerg "technology". The current "terran" method constantly needs new protoss and new zerg.

It's not even that, for the two species' true purpose...
Reply Quote
it's a major retcon yes.

It may not be, I mean, the Overmind may have been directly influenced by Amon, but they did not stop him from creating the Queen of Blades, using all the willpower he had to resist Amon, and create the Queen of Blades. But then, there is the problem, in WoL it is revealed that the Overmind did not want to be controlled by Amon, and resisted until he was finally controlled. But, in HotS, Amon created the Overmind? Seriously, a huge rectcon like that, in the expansion. Wow. Blizzard really has gone down the chute.
Reply Quote
It is a huge retcon. The literature clearly states that the xel'naga created the Overmind because they wanted to avoid the same tribal warfare that they observed with the Protoss. Both races were supposed to eventually assimilate to create the new xel'naga race. So yes, the Overmind wanted hybrids. That was why he was created by the xel'naga, so to speak. Amon then interfered with the Overmind and gave it a new directive - don't assimilate with the Protoss, just destroy them.

Yet in HoTS, we hear that Amon created the Overmind? That completely violates the previously given lore.
Edited by Torloch on 4/5/2013 1:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The Overmind was controlled by Amon so there is no point in arguing what the Overmind wanted.
Reply Quote
Well maybe the retcon can be resolved in this way:

The xel'naga created the Overmind, but Amon interfered with the process. So the Overmind has a divided personality - a will given by the good xel'naga (a will to assimilate with the Protoss) and a will given by Amon (a will to destroy the Protoss) which suppresses the first will.

So in this view, Amon and the xel'naga both created the Overmind and HoTS doesn't contradict the original story.

Pretty confusing stuff.
Edited by Torloch on 4/5/2013 1:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
^ Amon is a fallen xelnaga (kind of like satan lol). And it is said he influenced the primal zerg AFTER their creation on zerus. Kind of like Adam and eve in the garden of eden..

wow I might have hit on something by accident here.

Not satan, you mean lucifer. Remember, lucifer is technically a fallen angel.
Reply Quote
Lucifer is another name for satan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer

Ok I guess I missed that. Either way it doesn't matter, UNLESS when Amon died, the Overmind was also only INFLUENCED by him.

If that's true, maybe THAT was what caused the Overmind to enact its plan in infesting Kerrigan, because with Amon gone, he no longer had FULL control anymore.
Reply Quote

Ok I guess I missed that. Either way it doesn't matter, UNLESS when Amon died, the Overmind was also only INFLUENCED by him.

If that's true, maybe THAT was what caused the Overmind to enact its plan in infesting Kerrigan, because with Amon gone, he no longer had FULL control anymore.

This was probably the case.
Reply Quote

This was probably the case.

Either way we'll find out in LotV, unless they make a novel to bridge HotS and LotV.
Reply Quote

The name Lucifer has origins independent of the Abrahamic religions. It was the 3rd century church's idea to demonize the Roman pantheon goddess, Venus [the morning and evening star] just like they later used Pan as the image of satan.
Reply Quote

The name Lucifer has origins independent of the Abrahamic religions. It was the 3rd century church's idea to demonize the Roman pantheon goddess, Venus [the morning and evening star] just like they later used Pan as the image of satan.

Then are they different or not?
Reply Quote

Then are they different or not?

As fascinating as this is, I don't see how it is relevant.
Reply Quote
Well I'm not the one who brought it up in the first place (look at post 11)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]