StarCraft® II

For those who found "The Reckoning" too easy

I am working on a custom map. It will be out within a week. It goes by the name "The Reckoning - True Brutal". It will be what we all wanted with "The Reckoning". In fact, I couldn't even test how powerful the second attack wave was without nerfing Mengsk's mercs to the same stats as a multiplayer unit on brutal because the first wave was so powerful.

So fear not! YOU WILL HAVE YOUR ULTIMATE HARD MODE!

"But TheGame, How will you do this?"

I went into the editor, went to the train (Mengsk Merc) and Build (factory). I then made it so when 1 unit is made, it now makes 2 units instead. The only change in the factory was Warhounds, as the Warhound is the only non-merc unit that mengsk builds on Korhal
And then I halved the supply costs for all of Mengsk's units.

So obviously, the units had to be toned down slightly for testing, but I wanna know if you guys wanna face the full force of Mengsks mercs when it is published, or just multiplayer-standard units with campaign upgrades.

"But why will it take so long?"
Well, I have go to University, so I don't have as much free time as others. In addition, while the Terran side of things is already done, I am implementing an on-the-fly evolution system, where you choose what kind of evolutions you want your units to have pretty much straight away (well there is a slight delay in some cases...) and this is taking a while to put in. Currently, only Zerglings have their campaign capabilities.

The vote currently stands at:

100% (1-0) for Mengsk Mercs to stay the same
0% (0-1) for bases to remain the same
Edited by TheGame on 4/10/2013 10:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So here are the 2 votes:

1. Should I tone the Merc Units down to multiplayer stats to make up for the significantly increased spawn rate?

2. Should I increase the starting drones and mineral nodes at each base for less base-building and more carnage?

Answer with something like the following:

1. Yes, because they spawn significantly more often
2. Yes, because base building is boring.

OR

1. No, I want the ultimate challenge
2. No, because defending the main while facing significantly more powerful armies is fun!
Reply Quote
1. No, I want the ultimate challenge
2. Yes, because base building is boring.

I think it would also be more fun if it were at least 2 player.
Reply Quote
Yeah I agree that it needs to be 2 players. Take Raynor's forces out and create a base with Minerals and Gas where he was and give all bases much more minerals and gas in their respective Mines not more sources to mine from. This way it can be mutliplayer. @ Zerg bases controlled by different players taking on Mengsk.
Reply Quote
Just an update, it took a while but I finally got the zergling evolution/mutations to work - When you start the level, you click on the spawning pool and choose your evolution and mutation (e.g. Adrenal Overload and Raptors). Once you choose 1, the other options in that specific category are disabled.

I will update this every time I get a units evolutions/mutations to work. However, I haven't been able to get the units already on the field to update with the advanced evolution (e.g. Raptor, Swarmling) yet, so it may not be publised as soon as I get kerrigans abilities/tech choices finished.
Reply Quote
Roaches have been completed. Also, the modified enemy units to be at multiplayer for SC2 or BW (depending on the game it is in) has been conquered within 1 hour for the mission, so I think I will have to give the full power to Mengsk's units anyway

Also, Kerrigan at this time only has Crushing Grip/Kinetic Blast. Her abilities will be the final priority
Reply Quote
Banelings are now done.
Reply Quote
Hydras are completed and I'm off to bed (I live in Australia and have to leave early tomorrow). Updates coming Soon™
Reply Quote
The only thing that really made it too easy: A mere 5 Grooved Spines/Impalers parked at any given base took care of basically any group that came in. The Odin was laughable. Sure the bunker and all Raynor's units get smashed, but it falls fast enough to where nothing else dies. Needs to have detection with waves later in the level.
Edited by Angstrom on 4/11/2013 9:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Perhaps he should make the odin fire it's nuke upon acquiring a target, that would make things interesting.
Reply Quote
You should make a boss battle at Mengsk's Palace Gate. Kinda weird that we had 1 terran boss during the 2nd mission, a boss gauntlet at the final Zerus mission and all that.

No Protoss Bosses in HotS D:

Although, I guess bosses would kind of ruin the moment. Hm.
Edited by UltraNoob on 4/11/2013 2:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The only thing that really made it too easy: A mere 5 Grooved Spines/Impalers parked at any given base took care of basically any group that came in. The Odin was laughable. Sure the bunker and all Raynor's units get smashed, but it falls fast enough to where nothing else dies. Needs to have detection with waves later in the level.

Well the attack groups are now twice as big... but good point. Adding detection to all of Mengsk's units. (I haven't found the trigger for what is in attack waves yet)
Edited by TheGame on 4/11/2013 5:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The Mutalisk is now complete. I also noticed that with all the Detection the dominion is running, the default burrow upgrade for the swarm host is near useless. So time for a new poll!

WHAT SHOULD REPLACE THE BURROW UPGRADE FOR THE SWARM HOST

A: Allow swarm hosts to burrow move, allowing them to reposition easier
B: Make Locusts get +1 range to their attacks, allowing more locusts to fire at once
C: Nothing, Swarm hosts should remain the same

This poll will be finished this time tomorrow, and Ultralisks will be worked on in the meantime. As will Kerrigan
Reply Quote
Also, detection has been added to the dominion attack waves now.
Reply Quote
(I haven't found the trigger for what is in attack waves yet)

Also, detection has been added to the dominion attack waves now.

Does that mean you have found the trigger for what is in the attack waves? Adding detection to every dominion unit cuts down on what you can do strategically =(
Reply Quote
Does that mean you have found the trigger for what is in the attack waves? Adding detection to every dominion unit cuts down on what you can do strategically =(

Unfortunately I couldn't find how to add science vessels or ravens to every attack wave. BUT FEAR NOT! Only Goliaths, Thors, Medivacs, Banshees, Battlecruisers and the Odin got detection, allowing you to snipe these first then use cloaked shenanigans to finish them.

Also, vipers abduct to get them in range of your hydra/impaler blob.
Reply Quote
Guys I need a response for this:

I also noticed that with all the Detection the dominion is running, the default burrow upgrade for the swarm host is near useless. So time for a new poll!

WHAT SHOULD REPLACE THE BURROW UPGRADE FOR THE SWARM HOST

A: Allow swarm hosts to burrow move, allowing them to reposition easier. Burrow is now free automatically
B: Make Locusts get +1 range to their attacks, allowing more locusts to fire at once. Burrow is now free automatically
C: Nothing, Swarm hosts should remain the same
Reply Quote
+1 range. They already have a burrow move option.

Slight off-topic, does anyone know of a custom map like this for the last WoL mission? Specifically one that removes Kerrigan, but buffs the rest of the units?
Reply Quote
+1 range. They already have a burrow move option.

Slight off-topic, does anyone know of a custom map like this for the last WoL mission? Specifically one that removes Kerrigan, but buffs the rest of the units?

Well I was doing this for a once off because everyone was like "HotS too easy!"

Also, a range upgrade is basically useless on the carrion strain, just like Burrow move is basically useless on the creeper strain.

So I'm thinking another alternative:
Increased Metabolism: Locusts attack X% faster. For now, it will be 50% which brings the attack rate up to MP locusts attack rate (though the damage is still lower)

This upgrade would work with both Carrion and Creeper swarm hosts, and is different enough from the other 2 options (attack up, Longer life to locusts) to be considered unique
Reply Quote
I have completed swarm hosts. For now, they are using Increased Metabolism.

Also, I was contemplating adding scourge due to an obsession with Wraiths that Mengsk has, but after testing Burrow AA swarm hosts I dont think I will have to.
Edited by TheGame on 4/13/2013 11:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]