StarCraft® II

Newest SC2 player to date

Could possibly be me.
Bought the game last Wednesday.
I have a missus and 2 kids (1.5yrs and 3.5years old) so my play time is limited or have 1 on my lap smashing buttons...

A bit of history
- sega master system -> mega drive -> playstation
- played some wc2 then gave wc3 a thrashing, including frozen throne
- age of mythology
- played WOW for like 8 years
- diablo 3 since release
- SC2

I have some RTS experience and hoping this will help me learn quick.

I chose Terran, no particular reason but it was a toss up between them and Protoss.
Been playing against ai on medium and having some success.
Watched a few videos on youTube, and just trying to work it all out.

I must say I am excited and love the strategies involved.

Any advice on when I should tackle PVP rather than ai? Like when I have ai 'hard' on farm?
Any other advice is always welcome for this Newb!

<3 Slabocans
Reply Quote
Should do 1v1 now. There's an option to do games ranked or un-ranked, but since your new, it might be better to do ranked, get thrown into bronze with all the other dudes and learn from there. Watching your own replays can help identify where you could of went better and seeing their tactics. Also watch Huskystarcraft - Bronze League Hero's on youtube and Day9 Newbie Tuesdays
Reply Quote
Great advice, particularly

Watching your own replays can help identify where you could of went better and seeing their tactics

I have began watching some videos at work and will definitely check out your recommendations.
Reply Quote
Any other advice is always welcome for this Newb!

join the noobschool group! (if you're on SEA)
Reply Quote
No amount of vs AI will prepare you for the wide variety of builds you'll be facing from human opponents, but what it does give you is the chance to practice some basic builds and strategies without the stress of worrying about whether you're about to die at any second.

My advice is to find somewhere online to learn some basic strategies and then just practice them against the computer or a friend til you feel confident enough to jump on ladder.

Good places to start looking for resources: -teamliquid.net (there are plenty of strategy sections and also plenty of streaming pro players who you can take inspiration from).
-sc2sea.com - the main hub for clans, players, tournaments etc in the SEA region. even for lower levels there are plenty of fun tournaments to sign up in and here you can perhaps find a clan to join where you will make friends/find practice partners etc.

and ofc youtube channels, day9 is not a bad guy to start out with (he tends to drag things out a lot and can be annoying to listen to for semi-competent players, but if you're starting out from scratch he does bring up a lot of helpful concepts you might not have thought of)
Reply Quote
04/09/2013 10:42 AMPosted by MistaCizm
Huskystarcraft - Bronze League Hero's

Hillarious... Now I have a bit of a better understanding of the game I love these videos.

get thrown into bronze with all the other dudes and learn from there

This helps a lot.

No amount of vs AI will prepare you for the wide variety of builds you'll be facing from human opponents

So true, does give much more map alertness.

Good places to start looking for resources: -teamliquid.net (there are plenty of strategy sections and also plenty of streaming pro players who you can take inspiration from).
-sc2sea.com - the main hub for clans, players, tournaments etc in the SEA region. even for lower levels there are plenty of fun tournaments to sign up in and here you can perhaps find a clan to join where you will make friends/find practice partners etc

Thanks, I will check it out.
Hopefully I can swindle Friday off work and get some games in and try to push silver before the end of season.

Thanks for all the advice. Great community.
Reply Quote
Welcome to SC2! It's great to see new faces around :)

If you're new, the best way to improve would just be to play more, practice makes perfect. Replay analysis will help but it a lot more efficient at higher levels, even at the professional level.
Above all make sure you enjoy the game and have fun! Because in the end, that's what its for :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]