StarCraft® II

Upgrading advice, barely at minimum specs

Hello, basically i'm running an AMD x2 4800, an MS-7253 motherboard, 2 gb ram, and an ATI radeon HD 4550. Also i'm running windows xp sp3. I started encountering Paged Pool Memory errors, and it seems that upgrading RAM is the way to go, but my motherboard maxes out at the 2 gb i already have. Should i upgrade my motherboard? If so, i just want something that will play starcraft at medium~high settings, nothing too super expensive. And if i replace the motherboard, how much of the rest of the computer will i need to upgrade to remain compatible? Thanks for any advice you've got.
Reply Quote
I suggest upgrading to a modern Motherboard, so you're going to need new Memory without a doubt, this is due to most, if not all, modern motherboards run DDR3 memory and, by the looks of your processor you have DDR2. You will also want a new processor, I don't know much about AMD, so an equivalent of an Intel i5, should last you for a minute, that would be something along the lines of 3.4GHz(Quad Core). For RAM you're going to want 4GB or more to stay competitive. With all of this, you COULD use your old Graphics card, it wouldn't be wise a GTX 660 may seem pricey, but it will last for a bit. AND FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING HOLY, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GET A NEW OPERATING SYSTEM! Windows 7 should suit you just fine, I'm unsure on your power supply and hard drive, so I can't comment on that, but those specs should take you to your desired medium/high.
Cheers
Reply Quote
Sounds like a plan, found some good parts pretty cheap, but it'll be a while before i get paid. Looking at the box, it seems i meet or exceed the recommended specs, why is it still a problem even on medium and lowered settings? Could my OS be the root cause? I've got windows 7 in a box somewhere or other, but i figured if my problem was RAM then the newer OS would use more of it. Thoughts?
Reply Quote
Your graphics card is the main culprit. You only have a 4550. So I would try to upgrade that first, to a 7750 or 7770.

I have a similar setup (cpu, 2gb ram, winXP) but with a AMD 5750 1gb graphics card, i was able to play on medium settings for good frame rates at 1680x1050 resolution.

What would your budget be for a video card? What resolution do you play?
Edited by coppeebobah on 4/16/2013 2:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I usually play 1024X768, my budget is flexible, but i'd like to stay around 50 or so if possible.
Reply Quote
haha shopping around makes me think my price range is unrealistic
Reply Quote
I usually play 1024X768, my budget is flexible, but i'd like to stay around 50 or so if possible.

Whoa 1024x768? Is this Starcraft 1 or 2? kidding...
I'm guessing that's what you need to use to play with the 4550 video card. Happen to know the native resolution of your monitor?

Well for $50, your best off looking for a used video card, like a 5750 or 5770.

For a bit more get a used GTX 460 (im guessing $70-$75 used).

Also what your power supply wattage? Important to know as to how powerful of a video card it can handle.

Check out this link for other video cards, but i think the two above would be the best bet for your price range. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5541/amd-radeon-hd-7750-radeon-hd-7770-ghz-edition-review/18
Reply Quote
I've got a raidmax rx-420k, sticker says 420 watts but i've heard that the official specs can be misleading
Reply Quote
I've got a raidmax rx-420k, sticker says 420 watts but i've heard that the official specs can be misleading

hmm, thats not a very good power supply... did you just get the Paged Pool Memory errors recently? or its always been the case
Reply Quote
Well, it happened when i first played, then i upgraded my video card drivers and i played at medium-high for pretty much an entire day just fine, then the next day the paged pool memory low message reappeared. It usually happens after i've played one mission or one skirmish
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]