StarCraft® II

Editor Won't Load on Mac

I downloaded the latest patch today and after installing the patch, my Galaxy Editor won't load!

When launching it from the desktop (or from in game), it simply gives the "beach ball" where it is supposed to load dependencies. The editor never pops up and you have to Force Quit to close the application.

This was working fine before I had used the Blizzard launcher for the latest patch.

To add to this, I decided to uninstall the game completely to see if a fresh re-install would work. I re-downloaded the game and while the game was loading onto my system (while the Blizzard Launcher was saying it was in the Optimizing phase), the editor worked fine!

However, after the game was completely downloaded and after starting the game again, the editor ceased to work!

I've copied the latest EditorLog file documenting the crash here:

====================================================================================================
SC2Editor (B25293)

Executable /Applications/StarCraft II/StarCraft II Editor.app
<Parameters>
LocalTime 2013-04-05 00:47:16.871
<ComputerUser> (deleted)
<ComputerName> MacBook Pro
<Inspector.ProjectId> 3
<Inspector.IssueType> Exception
<Inspector.BuildNumber> B25293 (SwarmLaunch)
<Inspector.Branch> branches/SwarmLaunch
<Inspector.Platform> Mac
<Inspector.Module> Editor
<Inspector.Priority> 1 - Critical
<Inspector.Assignments> .Mac Team
<Inspector.Summary> EXC_BAD_ACCESS (KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x00000000)
<ErrorType> EXC_BAD_ACCESS
<Application> SC2Editor
====================================================================================================
<Inspector.Assertion:>

EXC_BAD_ACCESS
KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x00000000

Thread ID:3079

0 0x00000000
1 0x00391CE2 "com.blizzard.starcraft2.editor" AssertAndCrash + 16834
2 0x0039191E "com.blizzard.starcraft2.editor" AssertAndCrash + 15870
3 0x003A6556 "com.blizzard.starcraft2.editor" AssertAndCrash + 100918
4 0x003A60DE "com.blizzard.starcraft2.editor" AssertAndCrash + 99774
5 0x0037A330 "com.blizzard.starcraft2.editor" GetBattlenetAllocator + 738160
6 0x003A7033 "com.blizzard.starcraft2.editor" AssertAndCrash + 103699
7 0x003A5448 "com.blizzard.starcraft2.editor" AssertAndCrash + 96552
8 0x01FBEAD3 "com.blizzard.starcraft2.editor" AssertAndCrash + 29560755
9 0x0193C282 "com.blizzard.starcraft2.editor" AssertAndCrash + 22734690
10 0x01934040 "com.blizzard.starcraft2.editor" AssertAndCrash + 22701344
11 0x01297329 "com.blizzard.starcraft2.editor" AssertAndCrash + 15767561
12 0x01297417 "com.blizzard.starcraft2.editor" AssertAndCrash + 15767799
13 0x910DF152 "com.apple.Foundation" __57-[NSNotificationCenter addObserver:selector:name:object:]_block_invoke_0 + 49
14 0x96BFD861 "com.apple.CoreFoundation" ___CFXNotificationPost_block_invoke_0 + 257
15 0x96B48E9A "com.apple.CoreFoundation" _CFXNotificationPost + 2794
16 0x910C7C88 "com.apple.Foundation" -[NSNotificationCenter postNotificationName:object:userInfo:] + 92
17 0x9703B0FE "com.apple.AppKit" -[NSApplication _postDidFinishNotification] + 367
18 0x9703ADB8 "com.apple.AppKit" -[NSApplication _sendFinishLaunchingNotification] + 249
19 0x97037D0F "com.apple.AppKit" -[NSApplication(NSAppleEventHandling) _handleAEOpenEvent:] + 751
20 0x97037824 "com.apple.AppKit" -[NSApplication(NSAppleEventHandling) _handleCoreEvent:withReplyEvent:] + 378
21 0x95177628 "libobjc.A.dylib" -[NSObject performSelector:withObject:withObject:] + 77
22 0x910E273A "com.apple.Foundation" __76-[NSAppleEventManager setEventHandler:andSelector:forEventClass:andEventID:]_block_invoke_0 + 121
23 0x910E2291 "com.apple.Foundation" -[NSAppleEventManager dispatchRawAppleEvent:withRawReply:handlerRefCon:] + 430
24 0x910E208E "com.apple.Foundation" _NSAppleEventManagerGenericHandler + 173
25 0x964A9A35 "com.apple.AE" aeDispatchAppleEvent(AEDesc const*, AEDesc*, unsigned long, unsigned char*) + 331
26 0x9647EFBE "com.apple.AE" dispatchEventAndSendReply(AEDesc const*, AEDesc*) + 44
27 0x9647EE7D "com.apple.AE" aeProcessAppleEvent + 318
28 0x901D2C58 "com.apple.HIToolbox" AEProcessAppleEvent + 100
29 0x97033D4D "com.apple.AppKit" _DPSNextEvent + 1655
30 0x970331DC "com.apple.AppKit" -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 119
31 0x9702963C "com.apple.AppKit" -[
Reply Quote
Wanted to add some weird findings:

Afte re-installing SC2 (again), the Editor works as long as you do not open Starcraft 2 through the launcher.

You can test documents in the Editor and it will load the game. But as soon as you exit from SC2 after running SC2 through the launcher, for whatever reason, the editor no longer loads as it did before.

And for clarification, the app freezes when you start launching it - instead of a window popping up showing dependencies being loaded, it just hangs and doesn't respond.
Reply Quote
Okay just did a ton of debugging... hopefully this is useful for Blizzard as well.

I first checked using Safe Boot.... still didn't load, so I didn't believe it was based on any conflicts in files.

So I used the Users & Groups to enable Guest login. I switched over to the guest login and... voila. The map editor loads again!

Strange right? So I imagined it would have to be something related to my local user.

Well, the difference of course is that there are no Blizzard folders/files under ~/Library/ for the guest user - as soon as you run the Editor or SC2 for the first time, files are created under ~/Library/Application Support and ~/Library/Preferences

So I went ahead and moved to trash the Blizzard folder under ~/Library/Application Support... and sure enough, Editor fired back up again!

The only two files in there (all the other folders are empty) were the Variables and EditorVariables txt files. Could it be an issue between the Variables files?

I did recall that previously, I'd change settings in SC2 with the SC2 editor on in the background so I'm not sure if there was some issue with that but after opening SC2 regularly from the launcher, changing settings, and THEN opening SC2 editor. Well, as it turns out, as soon as I logged in to SC2 and changed settings... first, a Accounts folder is created under the Starcraft II folder under Application Support/Blizzard.

Second, after going in and changing settings to graphics only, the Editor doesn't open again!

It seems like there might be some issue with changing settings and Editor no longer being able to run. In fact, I noticed that Variables and EditorVariables have different last modified dates after changing settings in game. As soon as I login in SC2, Editor fails to load again. I simply delete the Variables.txt and Editor works again.

Finally, after changing graphics settings in SC2 one more time while logged in, the editor doesn't load up again! So it seems like a particular graphics settings changing Variables.txt is causing issues with Editor.

Anyways, I hope this helps out Blizzard and anyone else that encounters this.
Reply Quote
I too have this exact same problem. When i click to open the editor it does not open as if the program is not responding. The only option i have is to force quit because nothing comes up. :/
Reply Quote
I'm getting this issue as well. I'm gonna try deleting the files you mentioned.
Reply Quote
I tried using a guest account but it still didn't open.
Reply Quote
Same.
I can't make any edits or publish updates for Marine Arena...
Reply Quote
I was just having the same issue (thank goodness for this thread and the investigative prowess of Nuknfuts). I did a little bit of additional testing myself, and discovered that it's specifically the variables.txt file that causes the editor to crash.

If you're having this issue, simply navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/Blizzard/StarCraft II and delete the variables.txt file. Your editor should load up again with no issues. An easy way to navigate to the appropriate folder is to copy the folder location I've bolded and press cmd+shift+g in the finder to open the "Go to the folder:" dialogue box. Paste and go.

EDIT: Testing some more, simply logging into SC2 and having the variables.txt file be recreated doesn't stop the editor from loading. Like Nuknfuts said, it might be some sort of non-default graphics setting that gets set in the file.

EDIT 2: I changed my graphics settings from default to the universal "low". Editor still loads fine. This makes sense since I play on low all the time and didn't have the issue before. Not really sure what caused it.
Edited by Caustic on 4/15/2013 5:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks to Nuknfuts for finding the issue, and to Caustic for making it easier to fix.
I had this issue, and removing the Variables.txt let the editor launch.
Reply Quote
I figured out the problem is the variable "winkeydisabled=1". Just remove that line from the Variables.txt file and the problem should be fixed.
That line was created probably after playing the game on a Windows machine.
M$ trying to sabotage Apple, again :)
Reply Quote
I figured out the problem is the variable "winkeydisabled=1". Just remove that line from the Variables.txt file and the problem should be fixed.

This worked for me, thanks a bunch!

I know this is a dead thread but unless I'm a minority and the rest of you don't need this fix, I think this problem/fix should be known.
Edited by Kynth on 6/11/2013 8:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
"~/Library/Application Support/Blizzard/StarCraft II" is this a hidden directory? and therefore the variables.txt a hidden text file?
Reply Quote
Hi, I can't find the variables.txt in my folder either!
Reply Quote
The Library folder is Hidden, so use the method described by Caustic to get to the folder.
Then Delete the winkeydisabled=1 line.

Great job to Nuknfuts, Caustic, and Vicio!!! Thanks, from all of us.
Reply Quote

Yup. This fixed it for me.

Thank you
Reply Quote
sammmmeeee herree my dude
but i cant find the file yall are talking about
Reply Quote
i surched "~/Library/Application Support/Blizzard/StarCraft II" in my library and nothing came up
Reply Quote
Will this issue be fixed in the next patch is what i am wondering????
Reply Quote
Wanted to add some weird findings:

Afte re-installing SC2 (again), the Editor works as long as you do not open Starcraft 2 through the launcher.

You can test documents in the Editor and it will load the game. But as soon as you exit from SC2 after running SC2 through the launcher, for whatever reason, the editor no longer loads as it did before.

And for clarification, the app freezes when you start launching it - instead of a window popping up showing dependencies being loaded, it just hangs and doesn't respond.

could you help me get mine to work somehow i cannot find thies files your talking about
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]