StarCraft® II

Arcade Restrictions.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD REMOVE THE ARCADE DEPENDENCY RESTRICTIONS.

okay do you guys have any clue on how small the arcade community is right now, due the the top ten list, broken ideas, and other such tom foolery? its very very tiny... prob less then 100 players at any given time on the arcade.

THen you add in the Restrictions, Pretty much I have a dependency on the list that I cant even use, because if I do i will shut off my game to over half of the already small community.

Its the arcade, not the matchmaking. Let the arcade be 100% unrestricted. this is a stupid design choice I understand its the initial logical choice, but whoever thought about this didnt think about it deep enough.

SO now mappers such as myself who bought the game to use these assets, cant even use them, because the already Flawed arcade(remove that sutpid top 10 already whoever is making these choices should think more on them) has killed the majority of our playerbase, and the ones remaining have to play the ones on their expansion level.

Okay so heres the idea, if you want the arcade to thrive, and become HUGE , bigger then it ever was on warcraft 3, heres what you do.

1. Remove all dependency requirements from the arcade, EXCEPT the mappers.

2. Put the entire arcade on free 2 play

3. Wait 1 year and if the community has grown as expected, place a map marketplace in, BUT ONLY AFTER THE PREVIOUS 2 ARE COMPLETED DO NOT DO IT BEFORE.... THAT WILL FINISH OFF THE COMMUNITY. CHARGING MICROTRANSACTIONS INSIDE OF A GAME THAT USERS PAID FOR IS A BAD BUISNESS PRACTICE... AND WILL FOREVER TARNISH THE NAME OF BLIZZARD.

4. IF YOU HAVE WOL THEN YOU AUTO OWN ALL MARKETPLACE MAPS THAT ONLY USE WOL IF YOU HAVE HOTS THEN YOU AUTO OWN ALL MP MAPS THAT USE HOTS
SAME FOR LOTV.... this makes the games still worth buying.
Edited by IShadowWolf on 4/20/2013 4:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm going to enjoy this...

So you finally decided to actually publish a map?

I like it that not 2 months ago you were busy trolling those of us who were warning about this very thing. But some of us had to keep being Blizzard fan boys.

Well, if you defended Blizzard, you got what you had coming. Don't take it too hard though, its a lesson we all learned the hard way.

Welcome to the club!
You are now a mapper who has learned that they never fixed the system and now will never fix it. You bought the game, they got their money.

Now let me describe for you in quick detail what is going to happen: You are going to make a giant stink, possibly get banned a few times, and in the end give up because the company as a whole just doesn't give a ****. They never wanted this aspect of the game.

Now when I say "they" I don't mean the actual developers (you know: programmers, graphics artists, etc etc). I'm talking about the "higher-ups". We will never know with absolute certainty but considering the amount of resources they've devoted to melee against the amount they've devoted to custom mods its pretty easy to see what their priorities are.

And now you know one other detail many of us have been pointing out. Battle.net is still not fixed, and they haven't done enough.

Now lets put that in perspective. Consider how much effort and time they spend on the melee scene. If they even pulled 10% of that away from melee and spent it on the modding scene we would see activity increase by a factor of 4 or more.

I think its nice that some of the developers are here. But it was more like putting the community on life support. Its only going to do so much and only for so long before it just dies.

This is probably the most accurate graph pertaining to how active mod development has been:
http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=sc2mapster

As you can see, the temporary spike is over and its going back down again. And that spike was still only 1/3 to 1/2 of the theoretical sustainable level (if Blizzard had had their priorities straight).
Edited by PyroCopter on 4/20/2013 1:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Actually this doesnt apply to me much, I just dont like how one thing was handled, I was defending because they were activly helping everyone and rapidly improving it, but they stopped shortly after HoTS which sucks...

but oh well.

and actually I was more or less taking fockewulf down a peg, that loser was giving false details to keep people like onetwosc away.

I just wanted to post this to also post the suggestion to fix the arcade, the final thing that COULD fix it.
Edited by IShadowWolf on 4/20/2013 4:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Actually this doesnt apply to me much, I just dont like how one thing was handled, I was defending because they were activly helping everyone and rapidly improving it, but they stopped shortly after HoTS which sucks...

but oh well.

and actually I was more or less taking fockewulf down a peg, that loser was giving false details to keep people like onetwosc away.

I just wanted to post this to also post the suggestion to fix the arcade, the final thing that COULD fix it.

Fair enough, to a decent degree. I don't think he was keeping OneTwoSC away. He went inactive everywhere not just here.

But you also know that you let fockewolf get the last word right? That they would disappear as soon as they got their money?
Reply Quote

but oh well.

Fair enough, to a decent degree. I don't think he was keeping OneTwoSC away. He went inactive everywhere not just here.

But you also know that you let fockewolf get the last word right? That they would disappear as soon as they got their money?
Meh, that's fine, Fockewulf was just a crybaby though -_- and telling lies is no way to ever back up your argument, Everyone knew they would leave after the game came out, that was a no brainier.
Reply Quote
Meh, that's fine, Fockewulf was just a crybaby though -_- and telling lies is no way to ever back up your argument, Everyone knew they would leave after the game came out, that was a no brainier.

Once again fair to a degree.

On the other hand, lies or not he did call a bunch of what actually happened.

I mean that has pretty much been nothing new on the front page for nearly 3 months.

One or 2 features has been about it.
Reply Quote
I partially agree, but you can't say adding HoTS will kill your map unless you try. It really depends on how much your map will benefit from the new assets. You may lose players and may gain new players as well.

SC Expanded benefist a 100% from the new assets, and the maps are more popular than ever before. One got to page 2 for almost a full day.

The logical idea is to make players think it's worth buying HoTS. Its Blizzard's goal and its logical. Your suggestions don't seem to mae that happen. Arcade players will not buy HoTS if they can play all maps for free. Maybe allow them to play featured HoTS maps or whatever, but making all maps free isn't the way to go.
Reply Quote
The core complaint is that they don't know until they click on it.

If they had that same white lock in the open lobbies browser as well as the game browser.
Reply Quote
The core complaint is that they don't know until they click on it.

If they had that same white lock in the open lobbies browser as well as the game browser.

There shouldnt be a white lock.
Reply Quote
You shouldn't be forced to see games which you can't play. At the very least there should be a filtering mechanism.
Reply Quote
Eh, well pretty much the entire studio has been put on the Titan project.

IE World of StarCraft.

The few programmers that are left are working on LotV and then they are done with this game.

I think Blizzard is moving away from RTS games. I don't think they realize just how much of WoW's initial success was dependent on WarCraft 3's success.

Fond memories and StarCraft 2 really don't go together for me. There was none of the Castle Fight, Azeroth Wars, DotA, Battleships, Goblin Exploration Squad... so many fun maps.

StarCraft 2 was never allowed to have this variety.
Reply Quote
Now when I say "they" I don't mean the actual developers (you know: programmers, graphics artists, etc etc). I'm talking about the "higher-ups". We will never know with absolute certainty but considering the amount of resources they've devoted to melee against the amount they've devoted to custom mods its pretty easy to see what their priorities are.

I don't agree with this. I may be naive since I am going to business school, but have not actually held a higher up job, but one of the simplest ways to reduce your own costs while adding value to the players is to move the work onto the player base themselves. Lots of people love the arcade for its map, and perhaps some even bought the game just for that reason. Blizzard doesn't need to put much time or resources into it, because the player base does so much of the work. Look at SC2 mapster and its huge variety of player made tutorials. If I were a higher up at blizzard, I would think it was a great idea, because while the initial development of the complex map editor was a lot of work, we then wouldn't have to do much work later to create the great replay-ability that the arcade features.
Reply Quote
Well this was a rather disturbing thread to read...

I've been wanting to make a SC2 map intent on putting it in the arcade, but I have no idea how to use the editor, so I came to the forum to ask about it, but this is quite a disturbing read... if I understand it correctly, if I use HOTS content, anyone on wings of liberty will be unable to play my map... and some other issues / barriers that I don't fully understand. Hmm.
Reply Quote

I've been wanting to make a SC2 map intent on putting it in the arcade, but I have no idea how to use the editor, so I came to the forum to ask about it, but this is quite a disturbing read... if I understand it correctly, if I use HOTS content, anyone on wings of liberty will be unable to play my map... and some other issues / barriers that I don't fully understand. Hmm.

yup. Pretty much.

If you would still like to learn, I can provide help over skype, using text and screen share, Just add Faintwolf, and that goes to everyone else who needs help on anything :)
Edited by IShadowWolf on 5/8/2013 6:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote

All it took was a faulty user interface and neglect (yes I know that's not all that happened by far, but if I were to pick 2 core elements it would be these) for 3 years and we are where we are today.

Namely, dead.
Reply Quote

All it took was a faulty user interface and neglect (yes I know that's not all that happened by far, but if I were to pick 2 core elements it would be these) for 3 years and we are where we are today.

Namely, dead.

not dead, but beyond reparations of where it would be if they would have started it off better.
Reply Quote
Dead in these circumstances implies a theoretical lower limit in which there is a bare trickle of activity but no more.

Compared with WarCraft 3 at this stage in the game's lifetime, or StarCraft 1 (where the modding scene would normally be at it's height) it is instead riding the theoretical lower limit.

And after 2-3 years it is very unlikely to grow now.

Furthermore Blizzard's graphics engine is so far out of date I don't think flashy graphics will save them any more.

I mean take a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CARYTDKrO9Y

Here are some screens:
http://www.freemmostation.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/war-thunder-22.jpg
http://warthunder.ru/upload/image/media/screenshots/wt_navy_screen_8.jpg

You compare the best of Blizzard to indie startup ventures like this and you can see that they are rapidly falling behind.

Even better, War Thunder is throwing all the normal rules and proportions out the window because this game stress hardware less than StarCraft 2's graphics engine does.
Reply Quote
Map marketplace is a terrible idea

Anyone with a brain uses only WoL units

nuff said
Reply Quote
Map marketplace is a terrible idea

Anyone with a brain uses only WoL units

nuff said

It might be a terrible idea, but how it is done can make a big difference and it might bring back some sorely needed mappers.
Reply Quote
Furthermore Blizzard's graphics engine is so far out of date I don't think flashy graphics will save them any more.

I mean take a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CARYTDKrO9Y

Here are some screens:
http://www.freemmostation.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/war-thunder-22.jpg
http://warthunder.ru/upload/image/media/screenshots/wt_navy_screen_8.jpg

You compare the best of Blizzard to indie startup ventures like this and you can see that they are rapidly falling behind.

Even better, War Thunder is throwing all the normal rules and proportions out the window because this game stress hardware less than StarCraft 2's graphics engine does.

Excellent job comparing the graphics / graphics engine of a RTS to a TPS. This may sound a little mean, but please don't think that making a map from the SC2 editor means you know anything about game production/development. I know this assumption doesn't apply to everyone, but should be justified for people who make ignorant posts like these.

Please don't take it personally. Was just frustrated by the amount of ignorance in this post.
Edited by Lucifer on 6/13/2013 10:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]