StarCraft® II

Fastest way to beat wol on brutal?

Is it better to beat it on casual to get the mission archive and then beat it on brutal with upgrades? Or just start a new playthrough?

If I start a new playthrough, what upgrades are critical?
Reply Quote
What's your goal? Finish all 29 of them? Well there's no "faster" way to beating all of them other than... beating all of them.
Reply Quote
Well, I think starting a new playthrough is more fun since you get to pick upgrades all over again, and you'd get a feel of which stuff you need more.

I recommend rushing to finish these missions first:

Smash and Grab [Unlocks Marauder]
The Dig [Unlocks Siege Tank]

Watch out for Welcome to the Jungle and Engine of Destruction. I personally found those particularly annoying on Brutal.

For Welcome to the Jungle, there's a playthrough video on Youtube showing you how to beat it REALLY FAST with just Marines and Medics. I think I Googled "Welcome to the Jungle speed run" to find that video.

I recommend you only go to Valhalla once you've completed every other available mission as you'll need the tech for it.

Here are my recommended must-get research:
Tech Reactor [Really helps conserve base space]
Automated Refinery [Particularly useful in Supernova]
Cellular Reactor [If you like using Battlecruisers, Ghosts/Spectres]
Micro Filtering [Since it's better to learn to plan your Supply Depots ahead anyway]
Zerg Tier 5 Research [Either of these will be a life saver on the Char missions. I personally prefer the Hive Mind Emulator, but many others prefer the Psi Disruptor]

Here are my recommended must-get upgrades:
Orbital Command [Make sure after completing The Dig that you don't spend any credits on other research. Go straight to the Zeratul missions and keep checking until this is unlocked.]
Supermedics [I forgot what it's called... The one with three plus signs?...]
Marine Upgrades [Get them both!]
Siege Tank Upgrades [See above.]
SCV Upgrades [Maybe not so much the fast build... But it's nice nonetheless]

Priority Mercenaries [though you should get as many as you can!]:
Jackson's Revenge
Siege Breakers
Reply Quote

Cellular Reactor [If you like using Battlecruisers, Ghosts/Spectres]

Micro Filtering [Since it's better to learn to plan your Supply Depots ahead anyway]

Zerg Tier 5 Research [Either of these will be a life saver on the Char missions. I personally prefer the Hive Mind Emulator, but many others prefer the Psi Disruptor]

1) You picked Science Vessel (heals mechanical units), I presume?

2) Does having extra gas help that much?

3) Did you do the final mission vs air?
Reply Quote
1. I always pick Science Vessels, since I've never gotten used to the Raven. Maybe others can use it better than I do, though.
2. You need gas to build the higher tech units, and I usually spam Hive Mind Emulators on the last mission because...
3. I always do All in vs. Air. Broodlord spam vs. Kerrigan is hilarious, even on Brutal. :B
Reply Quote
If your looking for a good way of steam rolling your way through the the game in record time,
I suggest...

-Rush to get ghosts (or Specters) from Tosh's storyline,
+Combine this with the Energy Free cloak form Swann,
-Orbital Command upgrade from Swann
-Max out the Protoss research tree.
+Choose drop pod research

Essentially you can drop the ghosts anywhere, cloak them, and nuke your way through the campaign in short order. Though this won't win all the missions, and It's not the most fun way of doing the Campaign. It is the most widely used in Speed Runs.

Also make sure to grab the Ultra Capacitors (attack Speed) over the Vanadium Plating (Life) research. As the Capacitors grant a percentage based speed buff, that essentially turn Siege tanks into machine guns. It's quick silly and will be quite handy in the final mission.
Reply Quote
If your looking for a good way of steam rolling your way through the the game in record time,
I suggest...

-Rush to get ghosts (or Specters) from Tosh's storyline,
+Combine this with the Energy Free cloak form Swann,
-Orbital Command upgrade from Swann
-Max out the Protoss research tree.
+Choose drop pod research

Essentially you can drop the ghosts anywhere, cloak them, and nuke your way through the campaign in short order. Though this won't win all the missions, and It's not the most fun way of doing the Campaign. It is the most widely used in Speed Runs.

That's a very interesting idea, actually. I was wondering why would you ever want to choose drop pods over tech reactor. Also scanner sweep + nuke, <facepalm> should have thought of this one.

Also make sure to grab the Ultra Capacitors (attack Speed) over the Vanadium Plating (Life) research. As the Capacitors grant a percentage based speed buff, that essentially turn Siege tanks into machine guns. It's quick silly and will be quite handy in the final mission.

You did final mission vs ground, I presume?
Reply Quote
You did final mission vs ground, I presume?

That is correct. For speed runs I would do the sky platform mission and take out their flyers, Mostly because you can nuke rush all the objectives (using my previously mentioned strategy). Basically you can finish the mission in about the same time it takes for you to build the necessary Ghost Academies + Nukes. Seeing as you can't do that in the Nydus mission, it seems like an easy decision to me. That just leaves the final mission, and since the mission has a predetermined time. It doesn't matter how you complete it, just so long as you don't die. Truly a speed runners nightmare. Thankfully I found even on Brutal you can just Mass tanks behind a wall of building (PF's, Bunkers and/or Perdition Turret) and win without ever having to kill a Nydus worm. I think the most I've seen is something in the range of 10,000 Zerg kills. It was amazing!
Edited by Downfall on 4/10/2013 2:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
There is more than enough stuff to do in all-in that it isn't really a huge deal with entertainment, same goes for the dig and the great train robbery. Though it is true that the timed missions are far and away the most frustrating.

The big problem is Zero hour as it's extremely easy, long and difficult to do commentary towards.

Also, if you want the fastest time for WoL completion on brutal or IL's go check out the Speed Demos Archive thread for Starcraft 2. Im Planning to begin routing for the HOTS SS brutal campaign for any% after IL mission strategies are mostly complete.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]