Feel that you got older?No, its not nostalgia

As many here, i´ve thought: " Maybe SC2 story is not worse than SC1" , " maybe i just got older" .

But then, i had some spare time and decided to watch the plot of SC1 and BW on youtube.

And the anwser is NO! We dont like SC1 and BW story more because we got older. We like it more because it was indeed BETTER!

The plot-driven style, the twists and turns, the voice acting, the great characters Overmind and Tassadar.

If you have any doubt, go ahead and watch it again.

Than tell me if im wrong.
Edited by TaurusBully on 4/9/2013 5:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I think you're wrong. Children are notoriously easier to impress and more naive than adults.

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry himself lamented that fact in his masterpiece The Little Prince. :/
Reply Quote
As many here, i´ve thought: " Maybe SC2 story is not worse than SC1" , " maybe i just got older" .

But then, i had some spare time and decided to watch the plot of SC1 and BW on youtube.

And the anwser is NO! We dont like SC1 and BW story more because we got older. We like it more because it was indeed BETTER!

The plot-driven style, the twists and turns, the voice acting, the great characters Overmind and Tassadar.

Nostalgia runs deep into adulthood. Because you grew up with it, the storyline for SC1 seems a lot more amazing than it actually is.

I didn't even pick up a blizzard game until 4 years ago. Before that it was Age of Empires if I wanted a strategy game.
Reply Quote
It could be that nostalgia is running deep.

So ill make the same challange to anyone who has not yet played SC1 and BW.
Reply Quote
Even if you don't grow up with a game, you can still be influenced by good memories of it.

Take the original Mass Effect for instance. I didn't grow up with it; in fact, at first I didn't even pay much attention to it until several years later and I needed a lot of convincing before finally giving it a serious shot. Yet it turned out to be one of the most memorable gaming experiences I had in years.

Sometimes, I feel like playing it again, because I remember my first time with it, the sense of discovery, the characters, the music, the lore, the cinematic presentation, my first female Shepard who looked like a young Carole Bouquet, the ability to (occasionnally) avoid resorting to violence, the intuitive dialog tree, the heartwrenching suspense on Virmire and in Bring Down The Sky, the compelling final act...

But then, I'm reminded of the horrible combat, the awful AI, the useless squadmates, the tedious inventory management, the generally boring side-quests, the repetitive environments, the redundant dialog options, the irritating boss battles, the game-breaking bugs, Saren, Pinnacle Station...
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 4/9/2013 5:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
JohnnyZeWolf.

I had the same experience with ME, expect that i´ve only recently bought on Steam ME 2 and ME 3 at the same time. Played them both on a sequence. I liked the ME2 story a lot more, but do admit that the combat system on 3 was better.

I also think mechanics in SC2 are better, but we are talking about story-telling here.
Reply Quote
To me, SC2 does not need to have a great storyline.. that's not the point. And yeah, I would tend to agree that the original starcraft storyline is better. But back then when I was a 12 year old kid, i didn't give two *beep* about that storyline, all I wanted to do is watch the cutscenes and play paintball or some bounds online.

The way they build the single player this time had little place for the original "briefings" we usually had before each missions in starcraft. But there again, i used to just skip those and go right into the gameplay.

There are many types of gamers. Some rather have very good gameplay mechanics and others will forgive some gameplay flaws if the story is compelling and just overall good.

Bottom line, if you want to be told a great story, go buy Bioshock infinite lol
Reply Quote
JohnnyZeWolf.

I had the same experience with ME, expect that i´ve only recently bought on Steam ME 2 and ME 3 at the same time. Played them both on a sequence. I liked the ME2 story a lot more, but do admit that the combat system on 3 was better.

I also think mechanics in SC2 are better, but we are talking about story-telling here.

Some of my gripes regarding ME1 are related to storytelling.

But it's true bad gameplay can ruin a "good" story... whereas good gameplay can salvage a "bad" story.

Bottom line, if you want to be told a great story, go buy Bioshock infinite lol

"A story with artistic pretenses" would be more accurate in that case. No offense to the late (and great) Roger Ebert, but I wish the whole "Video games are/are not art" debate could have died with him.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 4/9/2013 7:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
"Cerebrate, you must protect the Chrysalis!" counts as great story, but Kerrigan's moment with Warfield where he begs her to save his troops...that's cheesy?

I honestly don't get the fandom here.
Reply Quote
but Kerrigan's moment with Warfield where he begs her to save his troops...that's cheesy?

yes

OP : I agree
Reply Quote

Can do. You're wrong.

Now we can argue about which plot is better till the end of time and it won't have any effect because people are going to like what they like. It's called opinions and/or subjectivity. Now can we please put this to rest?

Also its Then not Than.
Reply Quote

Can do. You're wrong.

You can look at logical facts of why which plot is better: For instance, you can't argue that Starcraft has a lot more developed individual characters than Starcraft 2 does.

That is not a logical fact, that is an opinion. Once again I'm not going to argue about whenever SC>SC2, but you can't call what you believe to be true as actual facts. You can support your opinion sure, but it doesn't make it fact.

Opinion is on whether this fact matters or not to you.

Opinion: A view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Tassadar's (or say, Zeratul or Kerrigan or Raynor etc etc) character is present and very different in both games. The differences are very comparable, you can't refute that but you can decide which version you like more.

People can refute anything they want. Look at any news article's comment section and see for yourself. It's uncanny.

I could go deeper but let's just leave it at that. For the record I like Kerrigan in HotS more than I ever did, and Raynor is a complete badass (and that's simply never changed, but I haven't been able to experience it since Starcraft's first campaign). Yet, I without a doubt like the first stories more because they were more detailed, and intriguing, and introduced a lot more characters and forces into the game.

Starcraft 2 on the other hand is building up to a more epic story and did a lot with the zerg I like, but you can't argue that there are a lot less unique forces at work. For instance, how often have we run across protoss that aren't directly affiliated with Zeratul or the Tal'darim? Hardly at all...

The research colony? They're a thing (or were). Or as a microcosm of that you have Lirassas You also got Selendis. But they're besides the point. Someone could argue that the lack of protoss is a good thing. It'd be a weird argument but it'd prove that everyone is going to like the same thing.

[quote]They both have their strengths and weaknesses. Comparing the two is kind of meaningless, I like them both for different reasons (even if I do overall enjoy the original story more, I enjoy the actual gameplay in 2 better).

So basically, it comes down to one's own...opinion?

Edit: I should add as a disclaimer that I'm not trying to come off as a jerk here, just saying that this thread is silly because in the end it comes down to opinions.
Edited by Trivelo on 4/9/2013 10:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I've never been able to understand people saying stuff like this is nostalgia. It is utter rubbish. It used to always come up in WoW discussions

WoW vanilla WAS far better than anything they did after that. The old Alterac Valley WAS the single best piece of game content ever made. I would still be playing just for that if they hadn't ruined it. It's always statements of fact, there are no rose-tinted goggles.

As for SC, I never even played SC1 until after I got WoL ... how the hell can it be nostalgia for me to say SC1 had the better told story? I think a very important part of game storytelling is holding stuff back, letting players fill in the gaps (as such, the Marathon trilogy had basically the best story ever), and having only short mission briefings to go on, that was easy; having massive cinematics and setups where banal "conversations" take place does not help storytelling one bit. And if we keep it to the briefings in SC2, there's basically nothing there.

Neither does highly optional chronology - oh, a distress call from a planet, let's just sit on that for a while. Char vs. Kaldir? Well apparently the terrans have -exactly- the same setup whether I go there right away or after what must have been a -very- long trip to Zerus. Equally, we hear about Jim and it sounds like a seriously time-urgent thing to go deal with ... but we can choose to happily go off on some other random tangent.... There's something big to be said about the rails we used to be kept on for these sorts of games. Nostalgia plays no part whatsoever, thanks.
Reply Quote
. Tassadar's (or say, Zeratul or Kerrigan or Raynor etc etc) character is present and very different in both games. The differences are very comparable, you can't refute that but you can decide which version you like more.

Thats because it was a terran campaign. How well were protoss and zerg characters developed in rebel yell? How well was infested kerrigan (or any zerg character) developed in the protoss campaign when you are fighting the zerg almost all the way to the Overmind? What about arcturus and duke after the terran campaign?

As for raynor, i dont see how you find raynor more developed in SC1. He seemed pretty bland back then.

Yet, I without a doubt like the first stories more because they were more detailed, and intriguing, and introduced a lot more characters and forces into the game.

Well, this statement seems like you liked it because it was new. There is no way SC2 could introduce as many "new" forces, because SC introduced all of the forces at work in the first place.

Starcraft 2 on the other hand is building up to a more epic story and did a lot with the zerg I like, but you can't argue that there are a lot less unique forces at work. For instance, how often have we run across protoss that aren't directly affiliated with Zeratul or the Tal'darim? Hardly at all...

hm? I'm not sure how you found SC1's forces more unique. How often did you run into protoss that werent associated with the conclave or dark templar? Zerg are almost always on their own team in both games, and the terran forces havent changed much.
Edited by Brathearon on 4/9/2013 4:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I remember being really disappointed when I learned Matt Horner was not, in fact, the Colonial Magistrate (aka The Player Character) from SC1.
Reply Quote

I remember SC1 and played it just before SC2 came out to refresh myself on it. Bottom line is that the WoL campaign simply had better writing. Yeah, it was cheesy in places, but not as cheesy as SC1 was. It was also a hell of a lot more fun, both as a game and as a story. Sorry, that's just the truth of the matter.

You're wrong.
Edited by ElDestructo on 4/9/2013 4:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]