StarCraft® II

what will happen to arcturus now? (spoilers)

I tried to keep the title away from spoilers, however the title should read, "will arcturus become a martyr?"

I wonder if he considered his death a real possibility. That is, he planned to die in a glorious way so that his memory would not be tainted by the evil he did, and that people would still make life miserable for all of his enemies in arcturus's honor.
Edited by Brathearon on 4/17/2013 5:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Nah that's not really like him. He was one of those selfish types where everything he did was just to put, and keep himself in power. I don't think he gives a damn what happens after he dies.
Reply Quote
Well perhaps not, but he does seem to be the type to take revenge. At this point, Raynor would probably stay an exile. Perhaps people will hate valerian as well.
Reply Quote
I suspect it will play out a lot like the end of WWII where the Allies show the German people of the real face of their government. Pardon my reference.

Similarly, Raynor and Valerian may show the real face of the Dominion. The process will most likely be slow as all the corrupt officials and dark science experiments are hunted down and eliminated. But hopefully the public will most likely come to an understanding. I also think the people on the fringe worlds would support Raynor and Valerian's actions on Korhal. I do recall the Dominion left a ton of colonists to die back in WoL.
Edited by UltraNoob on 4/4/2013 2:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
As usual, people will believe whatever the TV tells them. It would be prudent for Valerian to put some sort of positive spin on the whole thing, if only to avoid discrediting the throne further. Here is what I would say if I was preparing the news release:

The late Emperor Arcturus died bravely. He chose to stay and face the Queen of Blades as it was the only way to put an end to the war (of course, he planned to do that by killing her, but people don't need to know that). While he made mistakes in the past (politically correct way of saying that he was a megalomaniac sadist) he died so that you could be free and live in peace (technically true).

In related news, in an effort to heal the war wounds, Emperor Valerian signed a bill that grants amnesty to many political prisoners and rebels including notorious James Raynor (it would look awkward if general public learns what really happened) and his crew.
Reply Quote
Hm, i wonder if kerrigan would care if arcturus is portrayed in a good light to the terran population. Valerian could even say that arcturus killed the queen of blades.
Reply Quote
Hm, i wonder if kerrigan would care if arcturus is portrayed in a good light to the terran population. Valerian could even say that arcturus killed the queen of blades.

But Valerian isn't anything like his father.
Reply Quote
04/04/2013 06:04 PMPosted by ragnarok

Well, he cant really say something like "my father was actually a really bad person, dont worry i am completely different, i even worked with the rebel james raynor (who isnt bad trust me!) and the queen of blades to take arcturus down so you all could live happy!"

I'm exaggerating but youg et the point =). I dont see how valerian can be truthful if he wants to lead. Perhaps he wont become his father's successor?
Reply Quote
04/04/2013 06:23 PMPosted by Brathearon

Well, he cant really say something like "my father was actually a really bad person, dont worry i am completely different, i even worked with the rebel james raynor (who isnt bad trust me!) and the queen of blades to take arcturus down so you all could live happy!"

I'm exaggerating but youg et the point =). I dont see how valerian can be truthful if he wants to lead. Perhaps he wont become his father's successor?

Maybe. But even if he's not, he has to at least take TEMPORARY command of the Dominion in the immediate aftermath of HotS.
Reply Quote

Maybe. But even if he's not, he has to at least take TEMPORARY command of the Dominion in the immediate aftermath of HotS.

I think the point that OP was trying to make was that Valerian simply can't afford to tell complete truth. A politician can only be as truthful as the average citizen's level of comprehension. If he simply tells people that everything they were taught to believe was a lie (which is the case) it will do nothing but destabilize an already unstable situation. Last thing Dominion needs is a civil war.

He simply can't afford to tell the general public that he worked with Raynor and (by proxy) Kerrigan. He should grant an amnesty to all the rebels and dissidents (including Raynor) and sign a formal peace treaty with Kerrigan but nothing beyond that.
Reply Quote

I think the point that OP was trying to make was that Valerian simply can't afford to tell complete truth. A politician can only be as truthful as the average citizen's level of comprehension. If he simply tells people that everything they were taught to believe was a lie (which is the case) it will do nothing but destabilize an already unstable situation. Last thing Dominion needs is a civil war.

He simply can't afford to tell the general public that he worked with Raynor and (by proxy) Kerrigan. He should grant an amnesty to all the rebels and dissidents (including Raynor) and sign a formal peace treaty with Kerrigan but nothing beyond that.

Possibly, I'm more curious if the Dominion army would obey him now that Mengsk's gone,
Reply Quote
It could serve Valerian well to put a good deal of blame on his father. The people already learned how Mengsk brought the zerg down on Tarsonis. People should also keep in mind that despite Mengsk's efforts to discredit Jim Raynor he's still seen as a hero.

Valarian can easily play himself up as the great peacemaker. Using part of the truth but not the whole.

Here's how I imagine an interview with Kate could go.

Kate: "Given that the Queen of Blades returned did that make the operation on Char a complete failure.

Valerian: "Nonsense Kate, before the assault on Char there was no reasonings, no negotiation with the zerg they existed only to be consumed."

Kate: "But they still invaded Korhal!"

Valerian: "My father left Sarah Kerrigan to die when he brought the Zerg down on Tarsonis. This act led to the creation of the Queen of Blades. They came for revenge, revenge for being betrayed, revenge for being used

Kate: "How did you manage to hold off the swarm while evacuating the civilians."

Valerian: "I asked her to land outside the city and to avoid the population centers in order to reduce civilian casualties."

Kate: "You asked her just like that and she said ok?"

Valarian: "As said the operation on Char made her open to reason, the price of peace with the Swarm was my father."

Really blaming the previous administration is par for the course and so rarely would it be this accurate.

Possibly, I'm more curious if the Dominion army would obey him now that Mengsk's gone,
The prince managed to usurp half the Dominion fleet for the original engagement of Char and general Warfield.
Reply Quote
It could serve Valerian well to put a good deal of blame on his father. The people already learned how Mengsk brought the zerg down on Tarsonis. People should also keep in mind that despite Mengsk's efforts to discredit Jim Raynor he's still seen as a hero.

Valarian can easily play himself up as the great peacemaker. Using part of the truth but not the whole.

Here's how I imagine an interview with Kate could go.

Kate: "Given that the Queen of Blades returned did that make the operation on Char a complete failure.

Valerian: "Nonsense Kate, before the assault on Char there was no reasonings, no negotiation with the zerg they existed only to be consumed."

Kate: "But they still invaded Korhal!"

Valerian: "My father left Sarah Kerrigan to die when he brought the Zerg down on Tarsonis. This act led to the creation of the Queen of Blades. They came for revenge, revenge for being betrayed, revenge for being used

Kate: "How did you manage to hold off the swarm while evacuating the civilians."

Valerian: "I asked her to land outside the city and to avoid the population centers in order to reduce civilian casualties."

Valarian: "As said the operation on Char made her open to reason, the price of peace with the Swarm was my father."

Really blaming the previous administration is par for the course and so rarely would it be this accurate.

The prince managed to usurp half the Dominion fleet for the original engagement of Char and general Warfield.

Nice idea, but you seem to forget, how do you know the Dominion people won't just assume Valerian is just like his father?
Reply Quote
04/07/2013 12:11 AMPosted by DaveDroid
Nice idea, but you seem to forget, how do you know the Dominion people won't just assume Valerian is just like his father?

They will have little choice in the matter as the UNN expozay showed in wings. Though they are lucky that Valerain is so far an outstanding dude (Flashback info here).

Maybe, still they're going to be suspicious, and probably want him off the throne when the opportunity presents itself, just in case he IS like his father.
Reply Quote

When they hear this, they will probably think of Arcturus's use of the psi emitters and make a connection. Valerian using the zerg to overthrow his father so that he can take over, just like arcturus used the zerg to overthrow the confederacy and take over.
Reply Quote

When they hear this, they will probably think of Arcturus's use of the psi emitters and make a connection. Valerian using the zerg to overthrow his father so that he can take over, just like arcturus used the zerg to overthrow the confederacy and take over.

And that'll mean they'll just assume Valerian is his father's carbon copy.

Still Bratheraon, you think from this, it may prove Valerian will turn out evil after all?
Reply Quote

And that'll mean they'll just assume Valerian is his father's carbon copy.

Still Bratheraon, you think from this, it may prove Valerian will turn out evil after all?

I think he just wanted to get rid of his father, which he had his own reasons for hating. He knows what happens when you make certain people angry and made them friends. So he will take actions to avoid making him their, and other people's, target.

I dont think that makes him necessarily good, but i dont think that makes him necessarily evil either.
Reply Quote

That's quite a bit of a stretch. Valerian had no control whatsoever over Kerrigan's decision to attack Korhal and take out Arcturus. To paraphrase Kerrigan, Arcturus "made every part of this happen". Valerian managed to convince Kerrigan to try and minimize civilian casualties but he did not do anything beyond that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]