what will happen to arcturus now? (spoilers)

And that'll mean they'll just assume Valerian is his father's carbon copy.

Still Bratheraon, you think from this, it may prove Valerian will turn out evil after all?

I think he just wanted to get rid of his father, which he had his own reasons for hating. He knows what happens when you make certain people angry and made them friends. So he will take actions to avoid making him their, and other people's, target.

I dont think that makes him necessarily good, but i dont think that makes him necessarily evil either.

Yeah for me I think he feels his father was dragging humanity down the hole to extinction by his sheer ignorance.

But then again, you have to remember: as news reached the Confederacy of the Zerg and Protoss, Mengsk had told his Sons of Korhal soldiers that the Confederacy's ignorance was driving humanity to extinction, which means they have to go.

I'm sure you can see where the dots connect here...
Reply Quote

When they hear this, they will probably think of Arcturus's use of the psi emitters and make a connection. Valerian using the zerg to overthrow his father so that he can take over, just like arcturus used the zerg to overthrow the confederacy and take over.

That's quite a bit of a stretch. Valerian had no control whatsoever over Kerrigan's decision to attack Korhal and take out Arcturus. To paraphrase Kerrigan, Arcturus "made every part of this happen". Valerian managed to convince Kerrigan to try and minimize civilian casualties but he did not do anything beyond that.

That is true, however that isnt how i imagine the people seeing it.
Edited by Brathearon on 4/8/2013 1:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote

That's quite a bit of a stretch. Valerian had no control whatsoever over Kerrigan's decision to attack Korhal and take out Arcturus. To paraphrase Kerrigan, Arcturus "made every part of this happen". Valerian managed to convince Kerrigan to try and minimize civilian casualties but he did not do anything beyond that.

That's what propaganda is for. Might as well use to tell people the truth (ironically) for once. Of course it would be prudent to omit certain details and, in general, present it in a form that average people would understand.

Just tell them Arcturus brought that upon himself. Also, tell them that Kerrigan agreed to try and minimize civilian casualties in return for a quick peace treaty and an amnesty to her "allies" -- all the rebels and dissidents including "notorious" James Raynor.
Reply Quote

That's what propaganda is for. Might as well use to tell people the truth (ironically) for once. Of course it would be prudent to omit certain details and, in general, present it in a form that average people would understand.

Just tell them Arcturus brought that upon himself. Also, tell them that Kerrigan agreed to try and minimize civilian casualties in return for a quick peace treaty and an amnesty to her "allies" -- all the rebels and dissidents including "notorious" James Raynor.

The problem is the "truth" is just a POV.

That's why so many Dominion people believed Mengsk's claims of Raynor being the worst traitor in human history.
Reply Quote
Valerian plays into peoples fears and leads the assault against the Queen of Blades and end the Zerg threat once and for all.

People seem to have forgotten Valerian is owner and backer of the Mobius Foundation. He was Narud's boss. Kerrigan just handed the Dominion over to Amon.
Reply Quote
Valerian plays into peoples fears and leads the assault against the Queen of Blades and end the Zerg threat once and for all.

People seem to have forgotten Valerian is owner and backer of the Mobius Foundation. He was Narud's boss. Kerrigan just handed the Dominion over to Amon.

Kerrigan was also Narud's (back then Duran) boss in Brood War. Does it mean that she actually works for Amon?

More likely Valerian was duped by Narud just as Raynor was.
Reply Quote
I don't buy that. Valerian's been too smooth an operator in WoL and HotS. Simply put, we don't know anything about him, beyond the fact he's Mengsk's offspring.

Then there's his connections with Mobius as well as the Umojan Protectorate - known Xeno Sympathizers (And where were the Umojans going when the Dominion attacked?).

Then he infiltrates the Hyperion, seems to get along like a house on fire with Matt, and convinces Kerrigan to buy him enough time to evacuate the civilian population...meaning he's got legitimacy in the eyes of the Dominion people following his father's death and fall from grace.

Heck, he was experimenting with Kerrigan to see how much control she could exert upon the Zerg and didn't even bat an eye when she turned up re-infested.

Really, Valerian is not all that much different then his father. They both used the Zerg in order to topple the old regime to put themselves into positions of power.

All I'm saying is Narud was overseeing Hybrid Production, and Valerian was bankrolling Narud and Mobius, to say nothing of acquiring the artifact. The man's got his fingers on every major instance of the story thus far and I don't buy for a second he's as pure as he makes himself out to be.

You don't survive in Mengsk's Dominion by being a bleeding heart. Valerian's going to turn and likely take Matt and the crew of the Hyperion with him. Just you wait and see.
Edited by Rust on 4/8/2013 8:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote

You obviously didn't read Flashpoint.

Nope. Never picked up any of the StarCraft books. I own several from the Diablo and WoW Brand, and while there are a few good stories (Diablo's Kingdom of Shadow and WoW's Lord of the Clans are both entertaining reads), the quality significantly degrades as time goes on (Sin War and Night of the Dragons, the last two novels read, respectively). I've never given the StarCraft brand a chance to be honest. Then again, I've just been dipping my toes into The Black Library, so StarCraft novels wouldn't be too far thematically from that.

Unless Chris Metzen wants to do a total retcon of the character that wont be happening anytime soon. The dude is a Jon Snow in space.

Huh. Then I stand corrected. It'd be nice if he was focused on a bit more in game, then. He's a pretty big "unknown" just going by the game, not even showing up until the last third of WoL.

Did you also not read the ice and fire books and judged it by only the TV show in the other thread? That would be a big mistake on your part. Regardless.

I'd honestly just as soon keep that argument contained to the thread in question, since there really is no reason for you and I to engage in a duel across the entire forum in regards to our differing opinions. In regards to your question however, I read the first three novels of the series at the time of their initial release, and never bothered to watch the show even though I adore Sean Bean as an actor and thought his casting as Ned Stark was brilliant. By Storm of Swords I was thoroughly disinterested in the story. Simply put, I'd more or less run out of characters to root for.

Read the book Flashpoint if you want to know detailed info about his character. It is a pretty good book up to half way+ before in descents into an all out spaceship war Wikipedia which some people dig regardless.

Shame to hear that. Will probably give plot summaries a glance then. I'm not overly fond of stories that fall apart halfway through (The most recent of that being David Weber's Out of the Dark, which is a typical alien invasion/resistance storyline that is resolved by having Vampires save the world. Said vampires don't even surface - aren't even HINTED AT - until the final chapter of the book. Only book I've purchased that I ever returned.)
Reply Quote

He's not Narud's boss. He didn't know what Narud REALLY was.
Reply Quote
Nope. Never picked up any of the StarCraft books. I own several from the Diablo and WoW Brand, and while there are a few good stories (Diablo's Kingdom of Shadow and WoW's Lord of the Clans are both entertaining reads), the quality significantly degrades as time goes on (Sin War and Night of the Dragons, the last two novels read, respectively). I've never given the StarCraft brand a chance to be honest. Then again, I've just been dipping my toes into The Black Library, so StarCraft novels wouldn't be too far thematically from that.

Then I suggest you read Flashpoint. It'll show Valerian is a lot different than his father.
Reply Quote

That's why so many Dominion people believed Mengsk's claims of Raynor being the worst traitor in human history.

It's more of a solution than a problem.

Valerian will simply have to decide what to tell the people (via propaganda) about the events (including his father's actions) -- who cares if it is "true" or not. People are afraid of things they don't understand. So, they will need some kind of plausible explanation -- preferably the one that won't result in mass hysteria.

If it takes omitting some details and some embellishing, than so be it.
Reply Quote

Valerian will simply have to decide what to tell the people (via propaganda) about the events (including his father's actions) -- who cares if it is "true" or not. People are afraid of things they don't understand. So, they will need some kind of plausible explanation -- preferably the one that won't result in mass hysteria.

True, but that'll get the people to realize Mengsk wasn't a great leader as they thought, which would only increase their concerns if Valerian will turn out the same way.
Reply Quote

True, but that'll get the people to realize Mengsk wasn't a great leader as they thought, which would only increase their concerns if Valerian will turn out the same way.

So, what is Valerian supposed to do then?
Reply Quote

So, what is Valerian supposed to do then?

I'd say the people would follow him FOR THE MOMENT, but they'll still want a NON-Mengsk leader, just to be safe.
Reply Quote
arcturus already made the mistake of martyring Raynor (by announcing his execution without actually killing him). I think he will be given a hero's welcome by much of the dominion public when it turns out he's not dead.
Reply Quote
arcturus already made the mistake of martyring Raynor (by announcing his execution without actually killing him). I think he will be given a hero's welcome by much of the dominion public when it turns out he's not dead.

You really think Mengsk's death will make him martyr?
Reply Quote
04/09/2013 11:58 PMPosted by ragnarok

That's up to Valerian and propaganda so probably not. I think the whole point of this thread is: what is the best way for Valerian to spin doctor the events to the general public.
Reply Quote
04/12/2013 01:06 PMPosted by Alex

That's up to Valerian and propaganda so probably not. I think the whole point of this thread is: what is the best way for Valerian to spin doctor the events to the general public.

Yeah this is why I hope there's also a novel on Valerian for what he's doing after HotS.

I think we've waited long enough, it's time we know if he's good or evil.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]