StarCraft® II

question about Mensk and Valerian (spoilers)

Valerian seems to be working with Jim's Raiders in HoTs but isn't he secretly working for his father Mensk? Am I mistaken? The reason why I think this is that Valerian owned the science team that had Tycus look for the artifacts. The only reason why Tycus was chosen was because he could get close to Jim. The reason Tycus needed to be close to Jim was to get close to Kerrigan and assassinate her. Well, that failed and Valerian seemed to have plenty of opportunities since to complete the missions... What am I missing? Is Valerian really a good guy now or is there some other hidden agenda?
Edited by SirCharlesII on 4/8/2013 10:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Do you mean Valerian, because Arcturus is the father?
Reply Quote
Yes, I meant Valerian lol. I'll change this.
Reply Quote
Valerian and his father were never working together -- but Arcturus had spies peeking into everything Valerian was doing.
Reply Quote
There is no mention that Valerian knows anything about Tycus. And he and his father are in open conflict in Flashpoint and HotS. Arcturus sent Tycus to Jim seeking chances to eliminate QoB. The collection of the first several pieces of the artifact was just for money. Valerian chose Jim to continue to collect artifacts because he was the only one who knew QoB well, thus he was likely to prevent artifacts from being taken by QoB.
Reply Quote
04/08/2013 10:49 AMPosted by Kerriberry
There is no mention that Valerian knows anything about Tycus.

Tycus say's that the Mobias foundations got him out of Jail. I find it unlikely that Valerian didn't know about it given they could have hired any other merc. The whole deal with Tycus being stuck in his suit sounds more beneficial to Mensk than Valerian.
Reply Quote
There is no mention that Valerian knows anything about Tycus.

Tycus say's that the Mobias foundations got him out of Jail. I find it unlikely that Valerian didn't know about it given they could have hired any other merc. The whole deal with Tycus being stuck in his suit sounds more beneficial to Mensk than Valerian.

Tycus also said he took down a dozen of guards on the ship to New Foreson, he did not need to tell the truth as a spy. Valerian said he wanted to transform a mass murderer into human again as a proof of being a better dominator than his father. He was not planning to kill QoB, neither was Narud at that time.
Edited by Kerriberry on 4/8/2013 12:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Valerian and his father were never working together -- but Arcturus had spies peeking into everything Valerian was doing.

This. If you read the Dark Templar Saga books, you'd know that Mengsk never fully trusted Valerian because he knew his son would keep secrets from him.

Mengsk wanted power, and if Valerian refused to tell him, his spies will tell him instead.
Reply Quote
You need to read "I, Mengsk" for the answer to this question.
Edited by Residentx on 4/12/2013 7:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You need to read "I, Mengsk" for the answer to this question.

But Valerian wasn't the main character of that book until the 3rd part.
Reply Quote
Fortunately for canon, Valerian wasn't doing anything his father couldn't accept.

Would of been awkward if the emperor recalled Warfield and his troops...
Reply Quote
Fortunately for canon, Valerian wasn't doing anything his father couldn't accept.

Would of been awkward if the emperor recalled Warfield and his troops...

That was probably another reason why Kerrigan had to fight Warfield on Char.
Reply Quote
Ragnorak,

In "I, Mengsk" The relationship between father and son was defined. Arcturus only wanted to crush the Confederacy for killing his father, Angus. He was unimpressed with his son. He felt his girlfriend was raising him poorly on Umoja. Valerian was interested in aliens...he wasn't interested in following in his father's footsteps. He wanted to prove himself in other ways. Remember the section where Mengsk secretly met his son on a moon and found some Xel'Naga relics? Mengsk always felt Terrans were superior and underestimated the aliens. He son's curiosity awoke Mengsk to the need to look closer at his alien enemies.
Edited by Residentx on 4/17/2013 1:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Ragnorak,

In "I, Mengsk" The relationship between father and son was defined. Arcturus only wanted to crush the Confederacy for killing his father, Angus. He was unimpressed with his son. He felt his girlfriend was raising him poorly on Umoja. Valerian was interested in aliens...he wasn't interested in following in his father's footsteps. He wanted to prove himself in other ways. Remember the section where Mengsk secretly met his son on a moon and found some Xel'Naga relics? Mengsk always felt Terrans were superior and underestimated the aliens. He son's curiosity awoke Mengsk to the need to look closer at his alien enemies.

I never read the whole I, Mengsk book. The only part I read was the 3rd part with Valerian in it.
Reply Quote
I wasn't sure what you meant. I thought you were talking about the Templar books but then I remembered the I, Mengsk was broken into three sections:

1. Angus
2. Arcturus
3. Valerian

Mengsk is dead now but this book supplies lots of details. It's worth reading completely.
Edited by Residentx on 4/17/2013 3:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I wasn't sure what you meant. I thought you were talking about the Templar books but then I remembered the I, Mengsk was broken into three sections:

1. Angus
2. Arcturus
3. Valerian

Mengsk is dead now but this book supplies lots of details. It's worth reading completely.

As far as I know, Mengsk is still the main character of that book, Valerian is not...
Reply Quote
I'Mengsk => Is about the Mengsk Family
Reply Quote

Yeah but it's still not much on Valerian...
Reply Quote
04/19/2013 06:16 PMPosted by ragnarok

This is the summary for the book:

Sixty-thousand light-years from Earth, the corrupt Terran Confederacy holds the Koprulu sector tightly in its tyrannical grip, controlling every aspect of its citizens' lives. One man dares to stand up to this faceless empire and vows to bring it to its knees: Arcturus Mengsk -- genius propagandist, tactician, and freedom fighter. A monstrous act of bloody violence sows the seeds of rebellion in Arcturus, but he is not the first Mengsk to rail against such oppression. Before Arcturus grew to manhood, his father, Angus Mengsk, also defied the Confederacy and sought to end its brutal reign. The destiny of the Mengsk family has long been tied to that of the Confederacy and the Koprulu sector, but as a new empire rises from the ashes of the past and alien invaders threaten the very existence of humanity, what will the future hold for the next generation...'
Reply Quote
04/19/2013 06:21 PMPosted by Residentx

This is the summary for the book:

Sixty-thousand light-years from Earth, the corrupt Terran Confederacy holds the Koprulu sector tightly in its tyrannical grip, controlling every aspect of its citizens' lives. One man dares to stand up to this faceless empire and vows to bring it to its knees: Arcturus Mengsk -- genius propagandist, tactician, and freedom fighter. A monstrous act of bloody violence sows the seeds of rebellion in Arcturus, but he is not the first Mengsk to rail against such oppression. Before Arcturus grew to manhood, his father, Angus Mengsk, also defied the Confederacy and sought to end its brutal reign. The destiny of the Mengsk family has long been tied to that of the Confederacy and the Koprulu sector, but as a new empire rises from the ashes of the past and alien invaders threaten the very existence of humanity, what will the future hold for the next generation...'

Yeah but some of my friends said Arcturus is the main character of that book, not Valerian...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]