StarCraft® II

question about Mensk and Valerian (spoilers)

He is...but the story covers the family's struggles.
Reply Quote

I'm surprised on the Angus part, we know little on him beyond that novel.
Reply Quote

I was just thinking about this.

"Not much about Valerian..." With Arcturus gone, who will run the Terrans? Who will fill the Terran power vacuum? Nova...no, headcase w/implanted restraints. Raynor...not a big fan of large organizations. It will have to be the "Proud Prince Valerian." He's the only viable "administrator." Let's see what happens.
Edited by Residentx on 4/19/2013 8:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/19/2013 08:04 PMPosted by Residentx

I was just thinking about this.

"Not much about Valerian..." With Arcturus gone, who will run the Terrans? Who will fill the Terran power vacuum? Nova...no, headcase w/implanted restraints. Raynor...not a big fan of large organizations. It will have to be the "Proud Prince Valerian." He's the only viable "administrator." Let's see what happens.

Possibly. I can already a lot of problems Valerian would face.
Reply Quote
Valerian will die in the Void...
Edited by Residentx on 4/20/2013 9:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Valerian will die in the Void...

But then who'd be leading the Dominion?
Reply Quote
Consider how it is that the Xel'Naga artifact ended up in Arcturus' possession. Valerian isn't the good guy he's pretending to be. He's learned from his old man how to get potential enemies to do his work for him, and then make his move once larger competition is out of the way.

That's why he gets worked up when telling Mira Han to mind her place, after she calls him princess.
Reply Quote
He's learned from his old man how to get potential enemies to do his work for him, and then make his move once larger competition is out of the way.

And you think now that he's emperor, he'll go all power crazy?
Reply Quote
04/20/2013 10:28 PMPosted by ragnarok
He's learned from his old man how to get potential enemies to do his work for him, and then make his move once larger competition is out of the way.

Go power crazy? No, I think he started from there. He's really just Arthas Mengsk with flying battlecruisers at his disposal. The big three franchises of Blizzard are leaking into each other more and more. Rust was correct to throw the Archimonde reference around, because that's basically the storyline, along with Diablo. In fact the ancient one on Zerus is really just Bilial, since you fight him the same way.
Reply Quote
04/20/2013 10:53 PMPosted by Goyathla

Go power crazy? No, I think he started from there. He's really just Arthas Mengsk with flying battlecruisers at his disposal. The big three franchises of Blizzard are leaking into each other more and more. Rust was correct to throw the Archimonde reference around, because that's basically the storyline, along with Diablo. In fact the ancient one on Zerus is really just Bilial, since you fight him the same way.

This is why I never looked into the Diablo and WoW franchises. Either way, I just don't think he'd turn evil. If he did, then in accordance to the I, Mengsk book, he learned nothing.
Reply Quote
Valerian becoming a villain = story overload. In a trilogy, there is only room for one good villain per installment, and sometimes fewer than that. Turning Valerian into a villain would mess up the story in many, many ways. For example, we just spent half of the last campaign liberating the Dominion. Players would be angry to see all of their work being undone. Blizzard would never do that to us.

So the only way Valerian is a villain is if Valerian is secretly Amon. But we know that's not true.
Edited by Torloch on 4/20/2013 11:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Valerian becoming a villain = story overload. In a trilogy, there is only room for one good villain per installment, and sometimes fewer than that. Turning Valerian into a villain would mess up the story in many, many ways. For example, we just spent half of the last campaign liberating the Dominion. Players would be angry to see all of their work being undone. Blizzard would never do that to us.

The only way Valerian is a villain is if Valerian is secretly Amon. But we know that's not true.

I just can't see him that way. We first heard of Valerian all the way back in The Dark Templar Saga Part 1: Firstborn.

That book was released to the public on May 22, 2007. That means by now, almost 6 years have passed since we've first heard of Valerian.

I cannot see that for 6 years, the best Blizzard can do for him is turn him into his father's knock off.
Reply Quote
In a well-written trilogy, there are many different villains, but you only focus on one villain per installment. Kerrigan was the villain of WoL, Mengsk was the villain of HoTS, and Amon will be the villain of LotV.

There can be minor villains who come and go like Orlan or Narud, of course, but Valerian is emperor. If he turned into a villain, it would be very difficult to keep the story focused on Amon.
Reply Quote
There can be minor villains who come and go like Orlan or Narud, of course, but Valerian is emperor. If he turned into a villain, it would be very difficult to keep the story focused on Amon.

Actually it's not really that hard.

Look at SC1 and BW. During the Protoss campaign, how much interactions did THEY have with Mengsk and the Dominion?
Reply Quote
Ragnarok, I'm not sure what you're arguing here.

I haven't played Brood War but form what I've read, no, the protoss do not interact with the Dominion during the protoss campaign. So how does that contradict my point that there should only be one main villain fighting you in each campaign?
Edited by Torloch on 4/20/2013 11:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Ragnarok, I'm not sure what you're arguing here.

I haven't played Brood War but form what I've read, no, the protoss do not interact with the Dominion during the protoss campaign. So how does that contradict my point that there should only be one main villain fighting you in each campaign?

Well, the problem here is that Valerian isn't as ignorant. He wants to know about the Xel'Naga and all that, that's his passion for archeology.

But it's still never fully explained as to WHY he wants to know about it. I just hope this isn't some sort of power lust or anything.
Reply Quote
I just think that he wants to prove his worthiness as ruler by defeating the Queen of Blades. That's why he wants the artifacts.

In any case, Legacy of the Void is meant to be the final chapter of the story, so every story arc has to be resolved and come to a final conclusion within a certain number of missions. So why would Blizzard reopen a storyline that the player just closed? It seems redundant and silly.
Reply Quote
In any case, Legacy of the Void is meant to be the final chapter of the story, so every story arc has to be resolved and come to a final conclusion within a certain number of missions. So why would Blizzard reopen a storyline that the player just closed? It seems redundant and silly.

Yeah, I guess. I only hope Valerian can contribute to LotV. The Protoss aren't too happy with him, if you read the book The Dark Templar Saga Part 3: Twilight...
Reply Quote
Valerian doesnt have to be a villain for people to think and treat him like one though. One suspicious move and even Raynor would be in his business.
Edited by Brathearon on 4/21/2013 7:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Valerian doesnt have to be a villain for people to think and treat him like one though. One suspicious move and even Raynor would be in his business.

Well that's obvious. For virtually the whole Flashpoint book, Raynor had been constantly suspicious of Valerian would be like his father...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]