StarCraft® II

Should Kerrigan die or keep living as the

Indefinite leader of the swarm in Legacy of the Void? In all honesty, I really doubt the writers would give a happy ending to kerrigan (making her human again just to be with Jim, and even though it's a "happy ending" I hate the idea) so would you guys want her to get killed while fighting Amon or live and be the leader of the swarm permanently? Personally, she's one of the few reasons I started playing the game in the first place, I read her background story and was really compelled by it, so I don't really want her to die
Reply Quote
IDK if she lives with swarm and part ways with raynor even that would be bad end at least for me. Those 2 characters got such big backstory and they struggled for years to be together so if they part ways or die it would be sad / bad end anyway :p

not sure how to explain but they seems pretty much to be living only because of each other they have no other goal now that mengsk is dead and amon is last thing that keep them apart if both of them survive and still don't end together I would call BS.
Edited by Riel on 4/6/2013 11:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Indefinite leader of the swarm in Legacy of the Void? In all honesty, I really doubt the writers would give a happy ending to kerrigan (making her human again just to be with Jim, and even though it's a "happy ending" I hate the idea) so would you guys want her to get killed while fighting Amon or live and be the leader of the swarm permanently? Personally, she's one of the few reasons I started playing the game in the first place, I read her background story and was really compelled by it, so I don't really want her to die

I hope for her survival, but it's not necessary for her to keep leading the swarm. As it was stated in the Korhal invasion, she DID imply for Za'gara to take over someday.
Reply Quote
04/06/2013 10:26 PMPosted by LON
Indefinite leader of the swarm in Legacy of the Void?

If Blizzard is planning on SC3, I expect that they are going to pass the torch from Kerrigan one way or another. Kerrigan has had command on the Swarm since Brood War, and she has been obviously making Zagara more of a comparable leader to herself.

Personally, she's one of the few reasons I started playing the game in the first place, I read her background story and was really compelled by it, so I don't really want her to die

Kerrigan took over as the underlying reason I wanted to get through the original Starcraft and Broodwar. She is the first tragic "good" character that Blizzard let us get to know BEFORE the tragedy happened. Because of that, I think it is going to be iconic as to what ultimately happens to her, live or die. If the message Blizz ultimately leaves us with is that it is impossible for a long term tragic character to regain any semblance of peace or rest aside from death, well, I don't think I'm gonna have the stomach to bother to "hope" for any of the other tragic characters that they introduce (and without that faint glimmer of hope, a tragic character is just not compelling). Honestly, it is gonna be cliche no matter which direction that they go with it. Might as well give us a reason to give a damn in the future by letting it end well for once.

Virtually every other tragic "good guy turned bad" character that Blizz has introduced has been met with a sad end. I don't keep up with Warcraft anymore, but I think that Sylvanas is the last one standing. Arthas and Kael'thas died villains, and Leah from Diablo 3 didn't end well (she hardly counts because of how bad D3 story was, but she was their attempt at copying the arch-type).

so if they part ways ............ it would be sad / bad end anyway :p

If Blizz did that, I wouldn't be sad. I would be angry.
Edited by DarthTimmy on 4/7/2013 12:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Also it would be too obvious going by what the HOTS dialogue keeps implying.

Which part of the dialogue are you referring to?
Reply Quote
04/07/2013 12:29 AMPosted by DarthTimmy
Indefinite leader of the swarm in Legacy of the Void?

If Blizzard is planning on SC3, I expect that they are going to pass the torch from Kerrigan one way or another. Kerrigan has had command on the Swarm since Brood War, and she has been obviously making Zagara more of a comparable leader to herself.

Personally, she's one of the few reasons I started playing the game in the first place, I read her background story and was really compelled by it, so I don't really want her to die

Kerrigan took over as the underlying reason I wanted to get through the original Starcraft and Broodwar. She is the first tragic "good" character that Blizzard let us get to know BEFORE the tragedy happened. Because of that, I think it is going to be iconic as to what ultimately happens to her, live or die. If the message Blizz ultimately leaves us with is that it is impossible for a long term tragic character to regain any semblance of peace or rest aside from death, well, I don't think I'm gonna have the stomach to bother to "hope" for any of the other tragic characters that they introduce (and without that faint glimmer of hope, a tragic character is just not compelling). Honestly, it is gonna be cliche no matter which direction that they go with it. Might as well give us a reason to give a damn in the future by letting it end well for once.

Virtually every other tragic "good guy turned bad" character that Blizz has introduced has been met with a sad end. I don't keep up with Warcraft anymore, but I think that Sylvanas is the last one standing. Arthas and Kael'thas died villains, and Leah from Diablo 3 didn't end well (she hardly counts because of how bad D3 story was, but she was their attempt at copying the arch-type).

so if they part ways ............ it would be sad / bad end anyway :p

If Blizz did that, I wouldn't be sad. I would be angry.

These reasons are why I still have a hard time to accept what will happen to her. I only hope they'll make an exception to all this. She and Raynor have both gone through enough hell, they need to end up together.
Reply Quote
Also it would be too obvious going by what the HOTS dialogue keeps implying.

I think he is referring to Kerrigan's constant referral to how she will "pay for her choices" when you click on her between missions. Also her conversation with Zeratul saying that "we all have to pay for our choices someday." That and how she doesn't expect to live through the fight against Amon, but would still rather "die on her feet" as Stukov put it.
Reply Quote
04/07/2013 12:40 AMPosted by DarthTimmy

I think he is referring to Kerrigan's constant referral to how she will "pay for her choices" when you click on her between missions. Also her conversation with Zeratul saying that "we all have to pay for our choices someday." That and how she doesn't expect to live through the fight against Amon, but would still rather "die on her feet" as Stukov put it.

Yeah I know that, but the Korhal invasion also implied she'll hand the swarm over the Za'gara in time.

Still, I guess the main Q is would she walk away from the swarm, or will she die fighting Amon, and that's why Za'gara will take over?
Reply Quote
Starcraft's all about perpetual combat. There's no way Kerrigan will ever get peace. That said, the happiest ending we might get would be, "Sarah Kerrigan and James Raynor will fight forever, but they will not be slaves, or dupes, or atoning for their own mistakes. They'll fight for what they believe in, and will not be separated again."

Also, I'm still convinced Blizzard are going to give Kerrigan shapeshifting powers at some point, all the ingredients are there. So best of both worlds, she can look human and lose all the sharp corners at will, but still be ready to bare her claws and go on a Sunday rush at a moment's notice when the sequel rolls around.

Of course, if they really wanted to give everyone a punch in the kidneys they'll have Amon kill Jimmy boy. Three species love that guy. (If there was ever a time for Blizz to rightly ignore a fan idea, that's it right there.)
Reply Quote
She can stay Queen, maybe even in Zerg form...maybe they figure out a way for her to be in command as human queen and thus Zerg and Humans can coexist peacefully and her and Jim can be together.

Plot twist: maybe she stays Zerg and gets with Jim creating a Human/Zerg breed, not to be confused with Infested.
Reply Quote
Well as far as what I'd like to see. I would prefer if Kerrigan remained the Queen of Blades but also renewed her relationship with Jim. Especially if she managed to acquire some protoss essence. I believe Jim could serve as an anchor to her humanity and serve as a voice of reason as she tries to turn the swarm into a constructive force rather then a destructive one. I also believe this would fit with the notion of paying for her choices.

I don't consider punishment the best way for someone to pay for their actions. As well nothing is paid for in that situation. If someone stole from me I would far prefer to have my money or belongings back rather then them going to jail. You don't pay for killing people by giving your own life. You pay for stolen lives by protecting and nurturing others and doing what you can for the victims. Well that's my belief but my sense of justice is built around compensation more then punishment. Punishment is what you do to give someone an incentive to make compensation.

Yet this is where conflict could arise if she decided to make all the brood mothers more like Zagara. Some could decide that this new path is a mistake and either try to leave the swarm or turn against Kerrigan. Plus I'd really like to see Kerrigan on board the Hyperion or at some kind of summit as the Queen of Blades. It'd just be funny to see Jim scowling at her for messing with people a bit.

Perhaps Egon is hiding out in lab 1 looking at the captive Zerg. Kerrigan comes up behind him and gives that cute hiss of hers at which time we get to see just how quickly he can run. After all if you have the body of a monster you might as well have fun with it.
Reply Quote

If she dies or stays permanently separated from Raynor, I won't care how the story ends because I won't play the game at all. I'm holding out for a happy ending.

Starcraft's all about perpetual combat. There's no way Kerrigan will ever get peace. That said, the happiest ending we might get would be, "Sarah Kerrigan and James Raynor will fight forever, but they will not be slaves, or dupes, or atoning for their own mistakes. They'll fight for what they believe in, and will not be separated again."

Meh, maybe. I do see your point, though I think they might decide to take a little time off after beating down a cosmic horror, you know. I don't see them as people who desire to fight forever, but they aren't exactly the sort who retire, either. If the happy ending occurs, I can say Raynor going on to be a military officer in the new Dominion military under Valerian. I could see Kerrigan taking over as the instructor at the Ghost academy, making it something worthwhile instead of something hideous like it is now.

04/07/2013 07:51 AMPosted by Bluetooth
Also, I'm still convinced Blizzard are going to give Kerrigan shapeshifting powers at some point, all the ingredients are there. So best of both worlds, she can look human and lose all the sharp corners at will, but still be ready to bare her claws and go on a Sunday rush at a moment's notice when the sequel rolls around.

That could be made to work if handled well.

Of course, if they really wanted to give everyone a punch in the kidneys they'll have Amon kill Jimmy boy. Three species love that guy. (If there was ever a time for Blizz to rightly ignore a fan idea, that's it right there.)

Yes, Blizz should ignore the idea of killing off Raynor. Same as above, if they want to go this route, I won't be spending my money on it.
Reply Quote
04/07/2013 12:40 AMPosted by DarthTimmy

That's all true. On the other hand, I remember when I read the Lord of the Rings books, everyone knew that Frodo and Sam would fail, die horribly, and the world would end. Tolkien foreshadowed that end at every turn.

Just because it's foreshadowed doesn't mean it's written in stone. LotV isn't out yet. We will see.
Reply Quote
She needs to live and be saved so a little Jim Bob and Kerry Sue can be born in the future.

If she doesn't, I'm hoping for a deep ending where Kerrigan is heavily wounded and Jim is haunted by his own words and has to put her out of her misery.

Not too keen on an infested Raynor...

Above all, I hope the Protoss have some place left in the story! Their ending cinematics never had dialogue but they were purely epic. I kind of get the feeling this is a tradition that is no longer appreciated :(
Edited by Gehirn on 4/7/2013 10:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I really feel that She will succeed in defeating Amon and just, probably in some painful way, relinquish her control over the Swarm to Zagara. Either she will live and just be a shadow of her former self (as in she gets wasted so hard by the fight with Amon that she even loses her innate psionic abilities all together, even as a human) or she dies in the same manner as Arthas; death brings her peace and salvation and it is brought to light for all to see that she truely did change for the better and was holding the Zerg back and blah blah blah.

I really hope it's the happier ending simply because Blizzard has ruined any chance of their being a more, edgy, grimdark styled ending where Kerrigan basically goes the way of a Pyrrhic victory. She's already shown in HotS that she's "changed" and that the Zerg are not as bad as people think they are. With that revelation blown out of the water already, there is little chance of her going FULL Arthas and having to DIE to prove she really changed. Which I'm happy for. I don't want to see more plot repetitions any more than i have too. Metzen is already bad enough with that.

If you wanted a truly destroyed ending, we could go full replication for the Warcraft plot line and just have her die after she basically forces her self to become Amon incarnate in a physical manifestation in order for her allies to kill her - so that in turn it kills Amon. Then in order to make sure Amon's spirit is jailed perminately, Jim sobs over her dead body while Zeratul steals her brain powers some how and along with those, Amon's spirit/essence in order to go all Bolvar Fordragon of Warcraft and Tal' Rasha of Diablo and contain the Dark Voice within himself and putting himself in perma-stasis via his fellow Protoss's help. Oh yeah. Truly destroy it. YES.
Reply Quote
Well as far as what I'd like to see. I would prefer if Kerrigan remained the Queen of Blades but also renewed her relationship with Jim. Especially if she managed to acquire some protoss essence. I believe Jim could serve as an anchor to her humanity and serve as a voice of reason as she tries to turn the swarm into a constructive force rather then a destructive one. I also believe this would fit with the notion of paying for her choices.

Possibly. Maybe they could just have the BIGGER burdens lifted from their shoulders like Armageddon, and only have to deal with the terran tyranny and all that.
Reply Quote
04/07/2013 11:04 AMPosted by Einharjar
I really hope it's the happier ending simply because Blizzard has ruined any chance of their being a more, edgy, grimdark styled ending where Kerrigan basically goes the way of a Pyrrhic victory. She's already shown in HotS that she's "changed" and that the Zerg are not as bad as people think they are. With that revelation blown out of the water already, there is little chance of her going FULL Arthas and having to DIE to prove she really changed. Which I'm happy for. I don't want to see more plot repetitions any more than i have too. Metzen is already bad enough with that.

Yeah for me I just hope she and Raynor can finally be together once Amon is taken care of. Kerrigan can give up control of the swarm to Za'gara, and would only go back if another greater threat comes up.
Reply Quote

If she acquires some protoss or hybrid essence, it is quite likely that she develops shape shifting powers similar to those of Duran. Then... things are going to get interesting for Jim. ;) Regardless, she could use some moral support as she works to undo the damage that Amon and it's minions did.

I don't consider punishment the best way for someone to pay for their actions. As well nothing is paid for in that situation. If someone stole from me I would far prefer to have my money or belongings back rather then them going to jail. You don't pay for killing people by giving your own life. You pay for stolen lives by protecting and nurturing others and doing what you can for the victims. Well that's my belief but my sense of justice is built around compensation more then punishment. Punishment is what you do to give someone an incentive to make compensation.

^^This. If someone has to be destroyed (like Arcturus or Narud) that should be done because the world would be a better place without them and not out of revenge.

Yet this is where conflict could arise if she decided to make all the brood mothers more like Zagara. Some could decide that this new path is a mistake and either try to leave the swarm or turn against Kerrigan.

I can't imagine any of the queens becoming anywhere as powerful as Kerrigan in foreseeable future (especially if she consumes hybrid essence). However, I think she wants brood mothers to compete with each other (like Primal Zerg) for the position currently held by Zagara (a CEO, essentially). It will provide an outlet for aggression and will benefit the Swarm by encouraging evolution.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]