Should Kerrigan die or keep living as the

I can't imagine any of the queens becoming anywhere as powerful as Kerrigan in foreseeable future (especially if she consumes hybrid essence). However, I think she wants brood mothers to compete with each other (like Primal Zerg) for the position currently held by Zagara (a CEO, essentially). It will provide an outlet for aggression and will benefit the Swarm by encouraging evolution.

I don't think she's trying to get them to compete in that sense.

If she did that, then assuming she leaves the swarm, Za'gara takes over. She's the strongest broodmother, so all the other broodmothers immediately obey whatever she says, and that would make the whole swarm command structure exactly the same.
Reply Quote
04/08/2013 11:55 AMPosted by ragnarok
I can't imagine any of the queens becoming anywhere as powerful as Kerrigan in foreseeable future (especially if she consumes hybrid essence). However, I think she wants brood mothers to compete with each other (like Primal Zerg) for the position currently held by Zagara (a CEO, essentially). It will provide an outlet for aggression and will benefit the Swarm by encouraging evolution.

If she did that, then assuming she leaves the swarm, Za'gara takes over. She's the strongest broodmother, so all the other broodmothers immediately obey whatever she says, and that would make the whole swarm command structure exactly the same.

Kerrigan, in fact instructed, Abathur to make the future brood mothers "as dangerous as possible". With that in mind, it is only logical to assume that the current Brood Mothers will also be "upgraded". Overall, it looks like Zagara was a pilot project for a better brood mother rather than direct replacement for Kerrigan.

I would imagine (continuing the corporate analogy) that Kerrigan would still be the "owner" of the Swarm and thus have absolute control over it's strategic objectives. However, the implementation of the aforementioned strategy would be delegated to the chief executive officer (currently Zagara) and other executives (brood mothers).
Reply Quote
04/08/2013 01:17 PMPosted by Alex

Kerrigan, in fact instructed, Abathur to make the future brood mothers "as dangerous as possible". With that in mind, it is only logical to assume that the current Brood Mothers will also be "upgraded". Overall, it looks like Zagara was a pilot project for a better brood mother rather than direct replacement for Kerrigan.

I would imagine (continuing the corporate analogy) that Kerrigan would still be the "owner" of the Swarm and thus have absolute control over it's strategic objectives. However, the implementation of the aforementioned strategy would be delegated to the chief executive officer (currently Zagara) and other executives (brood mothers).

Right, in the broad sense. If that's the case, what do you think Za'gara would gain once Kerrigan walks away from the swarm?
Reply Quote

Right, in the broad sense. If that's the case, what do you think Za'gara would gain once Kerrigan walks away from the swarm?

Almost everything. And I did not mean it as in walking away but more like: why should a demigoddess spend her time on tasks that her followers can sort out on their own? If they don't agree with each other, let them fight over it. If there is a wide spread problem, then she can intervene. Otherwise, Kerrigan's time would be much better invested into, for example, learning more about Xel'naga's grand plan than micromanaging the Swarm.
Reply Quote
Otherwise, Kerrigan's time would be much better invested into, for example, learning more about Xel'naga's grand plan than micromanaging the Swarm.

This is what I'm guessing might be the case if Blizzard releases a novel to bridge HotS and LotV. She needs more info on the Xel'Naga to have any chance of beating Amon.
Reply Quote
If Kerrigan became human again, that would be awful storytelling.

Why? Her Zerg part and Zeratuls genetical modified Protoss part could be "extracted" somehow to create a pure Xel'naga, which is able to fight Amon.
(Second possiblity would be a fusion)

This new Xel'naga could be the leader or god of Zerg and Protoss, what could lead to peace between both races.
Edited by Bfler on 4/9/2013 8:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If Kerrigan became human again, that would be awful storytelling.

Why? Her Zerg part and Zeratuls genetical modified Protoss part could be "extracted" somehow to create a pure Xel'naga, which is able to fight Amon.

It depends on how you look at it. From my understanding when Kerrigan became the primal Queen of Blades she was altered on a genetic level even more heavily then when she was the Queen of blades. Now this is different from doing something like adding on features. Her genetic code was literally rewritten and those human components were probably replaced.

Now in case anyone asks. Why were they replaced? Well think of what Abather says about her new genetic code. Complex but clean. This suggest to me that there are no regressive traits in her new genetic structure. This is supported by Abather complaining about humans having too many regressive traits in their genetic code. it's sloppy in his eyes. So for Abather to call her code complex but clean it suggest all such residual traits were removed.

This would indicate that if you ripped out all the "zerg" traits in her genetic code there wouldn't be enough human for her to survive. Plus keep in mind when the artifact was used against her before it didn't turn her back into a human. She still had some zerg in her genetic code. I assume those remaining bits of zerg were either too resilient for the artifact to purge or they were the human traits that had been removed completely from her genetic code so there would have been nothing to fill in for them if the zerg had been removed.
Edited by Inprea on 4/9/2013 8:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Jim dies (nearly) and Kerrigan infests him to keep him around. Now he's just a husk that reminds her of the past driving her mad. She's heart broken and leaves the swarm to Zagara who just wants to destroy protoss and humans.

SC3 - Zagara is leading the swarm and must be stopped. Humans and protoss need kerrigan's help but she resists wanting to be with her husk of a lover. Maybe she even fights back for a time.
Edited by SirCharlesII on 4/9/2013 9:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Her Zerg part and Zeratuls genetical modified Protoss part could be "extracted" somehow to create a pure Xel'naga, which is able to fight Amon.
(Second possiblity would be a fusion)

This new Xel'naga could be the leader or god of Zerg and Protoss, what could lead to peace between both races.

I am more inclined to think that Tassadar and the Overmind have already done this so there is no need for Kerrigan and Zeratul to combine. After all, Tassadar hinted that he was still alive and described how he had full access to the memories of the Overmind. If there is a "good" hybrid on the way, I would expect it to come from Aiur.

Also, I do not think that there is a need for there to be a perpetual leader of the Swarm. The hive mind is a corruption - it will end when the xel'naga cycle ends. There will be no Swarm leader because there will be no Swarm. The zerg will either become primal again or disappear somehow.

Just my predictions.
Reply Quote

It depends on how you look at it. From my understanding when Kerrigan became the primal Queen of Blades she was altered on a genetic level even more heavily then when she was the Queen of blades. Now this is different from doing something like adding on features. Her genetic code was literally rewritten and those human components were probably replaced.

I think, to recreate the genetic code you only need an hair, skin scale or a bodily fluid, e.g. a blood sample from before the transformation.
But because this is a game and you need something spectacular,a machine which works like the crucible with the green beam in ME3 could transform her and Zeratul.
Edited by Bfler on 4/9/2013 9:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I am more inclined to think that Tassadar and the Overmind have already done this so there is no need for Kerrigan and Zeratul to combine.

With that, why is Kerrigan so important according to Zeratul?
Reply Quote

Because Kerrigan, as the leader of the Swarm, can prevent Amon from controlling the Zerg in battle against the Protoss. The final prophecy, "In Utter Darkness," shows Amon using the Zerg to detroy the last remnants of the Protoss. If Kerrigan controls the Zerg instead (she now has free will because of the artifact so she can do anything with them that she wants), then this prophecy cannot come true. Therefore Kerrigan must live and must continue to control the Zerg.
Reply Quote

I think, to recreate the genetic code you only need an hair, skin scale or a bodily fluid, e.g. a blood sample from before the transformation.
But because this is a game and you need something spectacular,a machine which works like the crucible with the green beam in ME3 could transform her and Zeratul.

That only works if you have such materials and given how much of Kerrigan's past has been destroyed and the worlds it's possible those don't remain anymore. Plus people are talking about purging her zerg traits not restoring her human ones.

Plus it would really need to go a bit beyond that. The genetic information isn't actually enough as we've found that cells respond to their environment. Take cartilage for example. We can grow cartilage cells but we can't grow you new cartilage for your knee. Well unless you just need a simple patch job. Anyway, cells respond to their environment and need the right environment to tell them how to form correctly.

Now we can't see inside Kerrigan but given the changes to her hair, skin, veins and eyes it seems her organs shape and functions have changed. The artifact wold not only need to restore her human genetic code rather then just purge the zerg but it would also need to reform her organs correctly. Things it didn't do the first time as at least one zerg organ remained and I wouldn't be surprised if others had just beneath the surface.
Edited by Inprea on 4/9/2013 10:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
04/09/2013 09:52 AMPosted by Torloch

Because Kerrigan, as the leader of the Swarm, can prevent Amon from controlling the Zerg in battle against the Protoss. The final prophecy, "In Utter Darkness," shows Amon using the Zerg to detroy the last remnants of the Protoss. If Kerrigan controls the Zerg instead (she now has free will because of the artifact so she can do anything with them that she wants), then this prophecy cannot come true. Therefore Kerrigan must live and must continue to control the Zerg.

Yeah but this is only until Amon is defeated. Once he's taken care of, there won't be a need for that.

Remember, during the Korhal invasion, Kerrigan spoke to Za'gara, about how someday, the broodmother may take over the swarm. It does imply she intended to walk away from the Zerg eventually.
Reply Quote
Now we can't see inside Kerrigan but given the changes to her hair, skin, veins and eyes it seems her organs shape and functions have changed. The artifact wold not only need to restore her human genetic code rather then just purge the zerg but it would also need to reform her organs correctly. Things it didn't do the first time as at least one zerg organ remained and I wouldn't be surprised if others had just beneath the surface.

True, but you have to look at it this way: in WoL, Flashpoint, and HotS, we were never told just what the artifact's primary focus really is.

Therefore, we may not have even seen the full extent of its power yet.
Reply Quote
Yeah but this is only until Amon is defeated. Once he's taken care of, there won't be a need for that.

Remember, during the Korhal invasion, Kerrigan spoke to Za'gara, about how someday, the broodmother may take over the swarm. It does imply she intended to walk away from the Zerg eventually.

Yes I know.

I also think that once Amon is defeated, there will no longer be a need for any Swarm leader, because there will no longer be a Swarm. Amon created the hive mind to control the zerg - once he is defeated, I can't help but think that they will be free, returned to a primal state. If there is a zerg leader, he or she will just be a charismatic politician, not a psionic mind controller. Kerrigan will be able to relinquish control peacefully because her purpose will have been served.
Edited by Torloch on 4/9/2013 12:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Yes I know.

I also think that once Amon is defeated, there will no longer be a need for any Swarm leader, because there will no longer be a Swarm. Amon created the hive mind to control the zerg - once he is defeated, I can't help but think that they will be free, returned to a primal state. If there is a zerg leader, he or she will just be a charismatic politician, not a psionic mind controller. Kerrigan will be able to relinquish control peacefully because her purpose will have been served.

No they won't. The ORIGINAL purpose of the Zerg (as revealed in the book the Dark Templar Saga Part 3: Twilight) was to merge harmoniously with the Protoss to create a new generation of Xel'Naga.

But Amon betrayed his own people, and used the Zerg for his own selfish goals. He was the one who was able to get the Protoss and Zerg create ANOTHER kind of creature: the hybrid, a perversion of the Xel'Naga's original goal.
Reply Quote
No they won't. The ORIGINAL purpose of the Zerg (as revealed in the book the Dark Templar Saga Part 3: Twilight) was to merge harmoniously with the Protoss to create a new generation of Xel'Naga.

But will the process of merging destroy both races?

All I'm saying is that if the zerg do survive as a race, they will be free. There will be no reason for them to continue to serve one mind after their original purpose has been fulfilled. To me, it makes sense that after all of these events, they would become primal again and serve no master.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]