The Reckoning on Brutal - No Units

I just proved it's possible to beat The Reckoning on brutal, fairly easily, without creating any units or structures, using nothing but Kerrigan. No cheese either - every enemy structure destroyed. When you can win the last mission of an RTS expansion pack with a single unit, I'm going to suggest that unit might be just a little bit too powerful. :)
Edited by Quadratic on 4/3/2013 6:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I just proved it's possible to beat The Reckoning on brutal, fairly easily, without creating any units or structures, using nothing but Kerrigan. No cheese either - every enemy structure destroyed. When you can win the last mission of an RTS expansion pack with a single unit, I'm going to suggest that unit might be just a little bit too powerful. :)

i noticed that as well. You should try missions without using her. I noticed that your units tend to be completely worthless as the campaign goes on, especially in the final missions where all enemy units are merc units.
Reply Quote
I did that mission with mass ling/bling and spore crawler too. I think you can pretty much make any strategy you want work actually.

I'm not sure what the best test of this campaign is though. Maybe no upgrades and no Kerrigan, but even then you get the infestors with perma-steal... I don't know. It's just an inherently easy campaign. I miss the Omega mission of Broodwar, where it took me days to plan out.
Reply Quote
Video or it didn't happen. Also what powers did you use? And how much time did it take?
Reply Quote
Try doing the Mastery Achievements on Brutal difficulty. You'll have a lot of fun with being more efficient.

I just started doing it and had a lot of fun.
Reply Quote
Personally "To Slay The Beast" was the hardest mission from BW and that !@#$ was when I was Masters in SC2 and it took me forever. Where is there in the last 2 campaigns a mission even remotely as difficult as that one. It Doesn't Exist.
Reply Quote
I did that mission with mass ling/bling and spore crawler too. I think you can pretty much make any strategy you want work actually.

you did? How did you save raynor from the air attacks? Did you use kerrigan?
Reply Quote
04/04/2013 12:14 PMPosted by Brathearon

you did? How did you save raynor from the air attacks? Did you use kerrigan?

Super creep with spore crawlers. For the Odin I just burrowed banes under the tanks. Also for that one I used the passive Kerrigan ability of infinite zergling respawn.

Personally "To Slay The Beast" was the hardest mission from BW and that !@#$ was when I was Masters in SC2 and it took me forever. Where is there in the last 2 campaigns a mission even remotely as difficult as that one. It Doesn't Exist.

That and Omega were the two. I had trouble with the one where you had to kill off Zeratul's base before warping out the matriarch but that was mostly because my strategy up to that point was to turtle heavily and the clock just screwed me up.
Edited by Quadratic on 4/4/2013 4:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Video or it didn't happen. Also what powers did you use? And how much time did it take?

Tell me how to post a video that is 2 game hours long and I'll do it. :)

For the abilities question I used:
-Super creep
-Baneling spawn
-Broodling spawn
-Crushing Grip
-The 'create a whole army' abilty
- The +health and +regen ability

My basic idea was to push out with Raynor, and add creep across the right hand side to help tell me when to have Kerrigan defend. I'd pick off bunkers with double-damage splitter baneling spawns here and there, all the while running back to the base to kite the battlecruisers with crushing grip or or using that or baneline spawns on the other attack types.

I was originally going to use the army spawn to defend the base while Kerrigan just had at it, but I ended up using the army to make major offensives, combined with Raynor's army to offset my lack of any troops. The base directly north of Raynor, and the base to the upper left, were both mostly destroyed by Raynor+army spawn + banelines to spam at their PF. From there, I did a baneling spawn, waited for the CD, ran into the right-side base that spawns reapers/ghosts and hit it with army spawn + baneling and crushing grips on the tanks when I could.

Creep was pretty much the lifesaver of that mission in this case though. Absolutely critical to keep the tumour alive so I could get intel on when that next attack squad was coming.
Reply Quote
Super creep with spore crawlers. For the Odin I just burrowed banes under the tanks. Also for that one I used the passive Kerrigan ability of infinite zergling respawn.

Ah i see. I tried to refrain from putting creep in raynor's base because i didnt want to restrict his buildings in case he decided to build any.
Reply Quote
cant her spawn banelings heal her if you put on the healing mutation for banelings? LOL OP
Reply Quote
I tried to do this on hard difficulty but it got a little frustrating running back to defend my base all the time. Ended up building spore/spines and zerlings at my base to help defend. Units never left the initial base area though.

Kerrigan + AI units cleared all enemy buildings and units. Pretty fun. Took a really long time though. I think it would've gone a lot better if I had picked better abilities. Should've picked double damage over healing mutation for banelings. And I'm not sure whether broodling or fury would've been better.
Reply Quote
I tried to do this on hard difficulty but it got a little frustrating running back to defend my base all the time. Ended up building spore/spines and zerlings at my base to help defend. Units never left the initial base area though.

That was kind of what I was going for with the instant-army ability (having the army spawn play base defense). I didn't end up doing that though since I found with good enough creep spread to the north and far right, I was able to spot the wave coming in. I left a baneling spawn a bunch of times to surprise the ghosts too.

For the most part, with the Kerrigan-only army you get momentum bit by bit just like the regular level. Once you take out the base that's sending reapers and ghosts out, the base is fairly safe from quick threats and you can become more and more dedicated to attack.
Reply Quote
I don't think the point is to pigeon-hole you into specific builds or units. I'd imagine if you play decent you can beat this game with almost any strategy or composition you can come up with. So what?

The Mastery Achievements are the hardest thing about this game anyways. Doing those on brutal are what will require a more measured and calculated approach to each mission.
Reply Quote
I don't think the point is to pigeon-hole you into specific builds or units. I'd imagine if you play decent you can beat this game with almost any strategy or composition you can come up with. So what?

You don't see a problem with a strategy game where every possible strategy works?
Reply Quote
You don't see a problem with a strategy game where every possible strategy works?

Not really, as long as you have to play competently to pull each strategy off. Having only 1 capable composition for each mission would be boring.
Reply Quote
04/09/2013 08:35 PMPosted by Quadratic

In the single-player campaign? Of course there's no problem with that.
Edited by BlasiuS on 4/10/2013 1:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/03/2013 09:06 PMPosted by DarkSpell

how new are you, honestly? how are you going to sit there and say some person should post up a video of what he or she did when the claim isnt even that outrageous? did you just start playing Starcraft? within a matter of days of HOTS being out, people had beaten the final mission with only kerrigan.

quit being a jerk.
Reply Quote
Nothing wrong with being a doubter, my friend. A little proof is always good to see. Still, you could probably use Drones only on The Reckoning and still win.
Reply Quote
Try doing the Mastery Achievements on Brutal difficulty. You'll have a lot of fun with being more efficient.

I just started doing it and had a lot of fun.

Yea it's actually quite a shame the Mastery Achievements only require hard difficulty to complete. Trying to complete them on Brutal is actually pretty tough and a lot of fun.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]