StarCraft® II

Zanon's PRP Bar (Part 23)

Well....post it here and I'll read it over.
"More of a series we could possibly integrate, but ever hear of the series 'Shiki'? Could be fun to use the basic universe's laws, and some actual horror could possibly be derived from it. Moreso than just blood and Gornography." I say, giving SF a pointy look.
Hmmm....I'll think on it. After about three or so my time, I'll be unavailable for the rest of the evening and part of tomorrow.
Edited by Zarkun on 4/23/2013 11:56 AM PDT
Zanon, two things.

First, Bloody Haze is going to be stillborn if you don't do something.

Second, and I was reminded of this only by your post in DH (so you, thus, have probably thought of this), Dark and Light needs posting.
Question to those who have read much sci-fi:

Is there such thing as a successful sci-fi without Biotics/Psionics?

Is there such thing as a successful sci-fi without Aliens of any form?
the Ender's verse is a good answer to your first answer I believe. as for the second ... unknown
Well, Sci-Fi isn't simply aliens. Interdimensional creatures are quite common as well, so, yes to the second one, and the first one, well, look at Stargate. Those guys are human, through and through.

You are going to have to be more specific with the first one. To what extent? If telepathy doesn't falls under this, then I would point toward the C&C Tiberium series, even though it is a game.

As for the second one, it is almost an unspoken rule to have aliens. Never read anything without aliens in all the books I have.
Edited by Jester on 4/24/2013 1:43 PM PDT
Yes, in fact I'm reading a series where it's like Sci-fi, fantasy, dystopian(however it's spelled), and etc.

The book I'm reading... Yes and no. It's an alien but it's like a virus.
the Ender's verse is a good answer to your first answer I believe

LOOOOOOOL!

Enderverse is riddled with psionics, from the Formics to the <spoiler, redacted>

For the first: Most of Dune, though there is future-sight. Also, the Hunger Games, Asimov's Robot series (mostly), and countless others.

FOr the second: The Dune series, considered by many to be the greatest sci-fi of all time (rivalled only by the Foundation series), contains no alien life-forms except possibly the Sandworms, although Frank Herbert implied that Arrakis was actually Earth and Sandworms thus mutant creatures, not aliens. Also the Foundation series I just mentioned contains no aliens.
"There was one movie/book(I think), Time Machine I believe it was called, that contained no aliens or psychics. Just people who had been mutated to the point of cannibalism and lived underground, and people who were pushed down the evolutionary tree that they went back to the primitive state. This happened after the destruction of the moon in two-thousand something. I want to say 2033. While the Protagonist was from around the Industrial Age.

"Hunger Games is another good example, as well as countless post apocalyptic movies/books. I know one called A Canticle of Leibowitz. In it there is no aliens, only mutants. And no psychics. It does have Catholic influence, as it is based around a reformed Catholic Church that seeks to rebuild society after the simpletons tried to demolish all knowledge. Things as common as iron became rare in that universe as well."
I have never heard of A Canticle of Leibowitz. It sounds like an interesting concept.

Other examples that fit both criteria are the works of Jules Verne.
"Knarled, we need you to post in Darkest Heart for a time skip to the morning to occur."
Sorry 'bout that.

You get a chance to Roll, SF.

The Matrix is considered sci-fi (although it is a movie) that fits most of your criteria. Well, the first movie anyway before it become some psuedo magical Jesus thingamajig with Neo.
Technically speaking, it wasn't magical and was perfectly explained. Neo can see the coding for this computer world and manipulate it.
Bah, I don't remember enough of the two sequels to go into debate mode. But it left a bitter aftertaste in my mouth.

Yes. Read some of the stuff that David Weber has written. Some of his stuff includes psychics, but nothing really in the way of powers like in the SC universe.

04/24/2013 04:17 PMPosted by smylez

That one's a lot harder. As soon as you start getting out of the sol system there's almost always the native life on different planets. While these might not be 'advanced' aliens, they are aliens non the less. If your talking about other species that travel the stars, then no.
@War, you forgot what an alien is. XD Someone who is not native to that country and is isn't an immigrant or civilian of that country. Same thing goes with plants and animals that aren't native to that region or area.
@War, you forgot what an alien is. XD Someone who is not native to that country and is isn't an immigrant or civilian of that country. Same thing goes with plants and animals that aren't native to that region or area.
"Hey. No being a smartass. It was a serious question."
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]