StarCraft® II

A small plot hole, perhaps.

(MAJOR SPOILER ALERT, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.)

It occurred to me that there was a good period of time where Arcturus Mengsk had Jim Raynor under his captivity and he didn't use that to his advantage. I mean, sure he used it as a leverage point to keep Kerrigan away, but he didn't do anything much besides locking up Raynor to /keep/ it that way. Perhaps there wasn't too much time to prepare for the assault on Korhal, depending on which path through the campaign you took. But he had more than enough time to do something like implant a tracking device on J.R., or put something like a self-destructing probe in his brain. Or even Re-soc him if he wanted.
Reply Quote
well, i think the self-destructing probe would have been redundant if he was planning on destroying the entire prison should something go wrong. A tracking device may expose the location of the prison, as well as it being unnecessary if arcturus's plan worked.

Re-soccing him is a different story altogether though. Maybe he should have tried?
Reply Quote
Re-soc would have basically been the same as killing him in Kerrigan's eyes.
Reply Quote
Re-soc isn't perfect (read the novels) and takes time. Someone with as strong a will as Raynor would take even longer, and be even more faulty.

There's no word on how long Raynor was captive. This isn't Bioware, there's only one storyline despite how each player goes through the campaign. They can easily say he was captive the minimum available time, and there simply wasn't time to do anything to Jim.

Mengsk clearly needs Jim alive (whether you agree with that is irrelevent, it's the story) so risking advanced neurosurgery is unlikely in even the best case scenario timeframe.
Reply Quote
04/27/2013 09:25 AMPosted by Brathearon
well, i think the self-destructing probe would have been redundant if he was planning on destroying the entire prison should something go wrong.

This is another inexplicable villain fail (akin to Narud leaving his sword in one spot for ten seconds, except worse). Mengsk could have nuked the prison ship the very second Kerrigan set foot on it, but instead he allows her to run amok through the ship for ten minutes? Huge fail.

As for the original question - I wonder, did they interrogate Raynor?
Reply Quote
well, i think the self-destructing probe would have been redundant if he was planning on destroying the entire prison should something go wrong.

This is another inexplicable villain fail (akin to Narud leaving his sword in one spot for ten seconds, except worse). Mengsk could have nuked the prison ship the very second Kerrigan set foot on it, but instead he allows her to run amok through the ship for ten minutes? Huge fail.

He didnt nuke the ship, it has a built in self-destruct feature. This feature should be able to be turned off (which means time) should it be activated due to some sort of malfunction or even hacking.

It is similar to the psi disruptor's self destruct mechanism.
Edited by Brathearon on 4/27/2013 6:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I will admit that Mengsk needs Jim alive to be able to hold a card up his sleeve against Kerrigan. But it's still evident that he did little else besides hold him captive when he could have done so much more.

An interrogation, albeit unlikely to provide results, would have been a likely action by him. Try and get some security codes or something to the Hyperion, perhaps.

But I still say there was a good section of time when Mengsk could have tried to do /something/. We know by the way Abathur responds to Kerrigan's inquiry on Zerus that they're there for at least a couple of days, if not more. Even if, say, they're only on each planet for one mission a day (That equates to a total of 9 days) that still seems like quite a bit of time to at least try torturing or interrogating him.
Reply Quote
Yes, I am well aware of that. But given the situation, don't you think it would have been in Mengsk's interest to detonate a nuclear weapon on the ship (instantly) instead of a self-destruct sequence on a ten-minute timer?

If he really wants Kerrigan dead he shouldn't give her a ten minute head start. He should do it instantly.
Reply Quote
It's not necessarily a warship. It's a prison-frigate that warps to a random place every day, so I think they'd have to keep a good storehouse of supplies to keep the enemy guessing.

Still, You have a point Torloch. You'd think that Mengsk would have designed a more efficient way to blow up the place in one go.

Though I guess the counter-argument for that is that it wouldn't be fun if 20 seconds into a mission you were killed and the campaign ended.
Reply Quote
Yes, I am well aware of that. But given the situation, don't you think it would have been in Mengsk's interest to detonate a nuclear weapon on the ship (instantly) instead of a self-destruct sequence on a ten-minute timer?

I think that is a consequence of having a random location unknown to anyone.

Some sort of mental manipulation wouldnt be out of the question though. I bet Nova could psionically extract information he was hiding.
Reply Quote
Though I guess the counter-argument for that is that it wouldn't be fun if 20 seconds into a mission you were killed and the campaign ended.

That's always the counterargument.
Reply Quote

I think that is a consequence of having a random location unknown to anyone.

Maybe they should have just placed a remotely detonated explosive near Raynor? It wouldn't have to be in him, there wouldn't be a reason to have a timer on it and doesn't destroy the whole damn ship.
Edited by AscendedOne on 4/28/2013 12:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
When it really comes down to it, Mengsk had so many options that seem like something he would do. And in the end, he didn't do anything.
Reply Quote
A prison-ship that can be ultimately tracked and overpowered is goofy. If I were Mengsk, I would have kept Raynor buried in the center of friggin' Korhal itself. The whole prison-ship thing was cute, but really impractical.

Not to mention, the loading screen to Conviction says Kerrigan is going to infiltrate the prison-ship. Infiltration my @ss. That was an assault. Where was all that fear that the Dominion might kill Raynor if something went wrong? All it takes is one jailer with a loaded pistol. That and if the game had actually followed through with needing to infiltrate we could have avoided asking why Mengsk didn't nuke the damn ship.

Meh, ultimately I don't care. If I did I would have quit sci-fi a long time ago.
Reply Quote
yea that should have been a stealth mission, would have been more easily explained. Though jim should have been placed on korhal. But I think Mengsk knows that if he really did kill james he wouldnt have any leverage on Kerrigan, he wants to kill kerrigan not make her angrier.

and while a poor attempt, wasn't the ship set to blow up? i recall mengsk communicating to the men and women of the prison that the ship was going to blow up and thanks for your service yada yada.

Kerrigan simply had the leviathan rip that section of the prison. Still, it was probably just a weak plot point that could have been told better, but the end result is what matters.
Reply Quote
well, i think the self-destructing probe would have been redundant if he was planning on destroying the entire prison should something go wrong. A tracking device may expose the location of the prison, as well as it being unnecessary if arcturus's plan worked.

Re-soccing him is a different story altogether though. Maybe he should have tried?

That would've been interesting.
Reply Quote
The count down on ship's a self-destruct isn't always arbitrary. It may simply take x amount I time for the reactors to overheat and explode.

A prison-ship that can be ultimately tracked and overpowered is goofy. If I were Mengsk, I would have kept Raynor buried in the center of friggin' Korhal itself. The whole prison-ship thing was cute, but really impractical.
the ship couldn't be tracked. They had to track down one man I the entire sector capable of hacking into the dominion network jus lt to learn where Jim was and then they had to ambush said prison ship when it stopped to resupply. Leaving Jim on Korhal just means Kerrigan brings the whole of the swarm down on him sooner.
Edited by JackKain on 4/29/2013 11:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't know how the situation was handled if you chose to kill Tosh back in WoL, but I know that they offered to let Tosh do the infiltration. I don't quite see why Kerrigan had to /assault/ the ship. Didn't Valerian say that it was a delicate operation?

Going back to the Probe point; for those of you who say the Spoiled Ending to HotS, you'll remember what Mengsk originally used to stave Kerrigan off. If that's the thing he implants in all ghosts, why couldn't he stuff one up Jim's nose?

Or how about doing that whole death-trap-suit thing like he did with Tychus?
Reply Quote
I don't know how the situation was handled if you chose to kill Tosh back in WoL, but I know that they offered to let Tosh do the infiltration. I don't quite see why Kerrigan had to /assault/ the ship. Didn't Valerian say that it was a delicate operation?

Going back to the Probe point; for those of you who say the Spoiled Ending to HotS, you'll remember what Mengsk originally used to stave Kerrigan off. If that's the thing he implants in all ghosts, why couldn't he stuff one up Jim's nose?

Or how about doing that whole death-trap-suit thing like he did with Tychus?

isnt tosh dead? i thought blizzard picked that as canon since during HoTS nova, prior to arresting jim, thanks him for helping her with her "tosh problem"
Reply Quote
isnt tosh dead? i thought blizzard picked that as canon since during HoTS nova, prior to arresting jim, thanks him for helping her with her "tosh problem"

No, that's only if you picked Nova in WoL (what Nova says changes). The canon choice is that you picked Tosh and he is still alive.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]