StarCraft® II

A small plot hole, perhaps.

04/29/2013 02:36 PMPosted by Torloch
isnt tosh dead? i thought blizzard picked that as canon since during HoTS nova, prior to arresting jim, thanks him for helping her with her "tosh problem"

No, that's only if you picked Nova in WoL (what Nova says changes). The canon choice is that you picked Tosh and he is still alive.

oh wow, so what does nova say to jim if you do rescue tosh? i sided with nova only to get ghosts with infinite cloak.

I never thought the WoL choices would affect HoTS in any way, how interesting! but since that would probably be the only choice that matters, it never occurred to me, or are there any other impactful decisions made in WoL that translate to HOTS? like if you skip certain missions.
Edited by Vanessa on 4/29/2013 5:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think you go through all the missions the same, it would be kinda unfair for you to have to replay the WoL campaign over just so you could access achievements in HotS.

But other than that, there's not much difference. There's no mention of what happened on Haven, and the only encounter with the Rebellion missions is the mission against Mira Han as well as the appearence of the Odin in the final mission.

I think that's the only difference
Reply Quote
04/29/2013 05:39 PMPosted by Vanessa

No, that's only if you picked Nova in WoL (what Nova says changes). The canon choice is that you picked Tosh and he is still alive.

oh wow, so what does nova say to jim if you do rescue tosh? i sided with nova only to get ghosts with infinite cloak.

I never thought the WoL choices would affect HoTS in any way, how interesting! but since that would probably be the only choice that matters, it never occurred to me, or are there any other impactful decisions made in WoL that translate to HOTS? like if you skip certain missions.

There are small comments/visuals that are affected by all of your choices in WoL (except haven), even flooding the char tunnels.

If you chose to rescue tosh, Nova simply says that she might have let Raynor go if she helped him.
Reply Quote
04/29/2013 11:16 AMPosted by JackKain
the ship couldn't be tracked. They had to track down one man I the entire sector capable of hacking into the dominion network jus lt to learn where Jim was and then they had to ambush said prison ship when it stopped to resupply.

So ultimately it was tracked.

Leaving Jim on Korhal just means Kerrigan brings the whole of the swarm down on him sooner.

Arcturus was essentially holding a gun to Raynor's head and telling Kerrigan to stay away or he'll pull the trigger. Without Raynor secured, Kerrigan could not assault Korhal. If she besieges Korhal, Jim dies. If Jim is on Korhal, she thus cannot get to him, because if she besieges it he dies. No way out of that circle. Him floating around on a prison ship was a silly decision.
Edited by DarthTimmy on 4/29/2013 9:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote

I sided with Nova on my first WoL playthrough too, but only because I knew she was from the cancelled Starcraft Ghost game. Trouble is, I felt like such a traitor to Tosh. Dude never did any wrong to Raynor. I thus can never side with Nova anymore.

If you side with Tosh you get:
*the minor dialogue difference when Nova captures Jim.
*Matt Horner telling Kerrigan that they will infiltrate with their associate, Tosh, with Tosh being in the background during that dialogue.
Reply Quote
04/29/2013 09:29 PMPosted by DarthTimmy

I sided with Nova on my first WoL playthrough too, but only because I knew she was from the cancelled Starcraft Ghost game. Trouble is, I felt like such a traitor to Tosh. Dude never did any wrong to Raynor. I thus can never side with Nova anymore.

If you side with Tosh you get:
*the minor dialogue difference when Nova captures Jim.
*Matt Horner telling Kerrigan that they will infiltrate with their associate, Tosh, with Tosh being in the background during that dialogue.

i see thanks!

There are small comments/visuals that are affected by all of your choices in WoL (except haven), even flooding the char tunnels.

If you chose to rescue tosh, Nova simply says that she might have let Raynor go if she helped him.

may i ask the impact of that choice specifically? i remember taking out their air support instead of the tunnel missions, since i did tunnels on my first play through, but went to do this a second time so i picked different things. Tunnel missions much more fun though.

i should have sided with tosh, i too was trapped by nova's cancelled game charms. But it means she lied to him about tosh, I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO DR ARIEL HANSON.
Edited by Vanessa on 4/29/2013 10:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
04/29/2013 10:01 PMPosted by Vanessa
may i ask the impact of that choice specifically?

The choices only affect dialogue in HotS. There is zero impact on gameplay sadly.
Reply Quote
Back to the topic at hand: DarthTimmy, you made an excellent point about how Mengsk had a gun pointed to Raynor's head. It makes you wonder why he didn't put additional measures to make sure he stayed locked up. Perhaps hubris got the better of him?
Reply Quote
Back to the topic at hand: DarthTimmy, you made an excellent point about how Mengsk had a gun pointed to Raynor's head. It makes you wonder why he didn't put additional measures to make sure he stayed locked up. Perhaps hubris got the better of him?

I am torn with how to answer this. My cynicism wants to answer first, but my appreciation for the constructive attempt won't let it. :P

Constructiveness: Arcturus did not want Raynor to be in a static location (Korhal) that could be discovered and infiltrated. The Raiders were an obvious thorn and (canonically) had access to Specters. They had infiltrated Korhal before (WoL) and would obviously wanting to free their leader. Thus, keeping Raynor on a randomly determined course denied any attempt to locate and free him. Keeping Raynor on Korhal might also invite a subtle infestation approach by Kerrigan, and that method would hit a little too close to home (literally) for Mengsk. Korhal's infrastructure was also still fresh as it had essentially gone from Dune to Corusant within the span of a mere 4 years. I would imagine it to not be very airtight vs infiltration or infestation.

Cynicism: Blizzard was being lazy and wanted to provide a surmountable obstacle that did not require much creativity on their part for its resolution and could be dealt with within the span of two missions. This still does not excuse throwing infiltration to the wind in favor of assault.

My 20/20 hindsight tells me that I could have come up with something better. :)
Edited by DarthTimmy on 4/29/2013 10:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote

may i ask the impact of that choice specifically? i remember taking out their air support instead of the tunnel missions, since i did tunnels on my first play through, but went to do this a second time so i picked different things. Tunnel missions much more fun though.

i should have sided with tosh, i too was trapped by nova's cancelled game charms. But it means she lied to him about tosh, I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO DR ARIEL HANSON.

I dont know if you are still reading this thread, but if you flood the lava tunnels, Zagara says that the terrans flooded the tunnels so they will be exposed to the gorgons.

Also, it would be interested if Arcturus did attempt to do something to Raynor, we just havent seen the effects of it yet.
Edited by Brathearon on 5/4/2013 1:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm amused people are still talking about plotholes in a game where aliens get through space by flapping their wings.
Reply Quote
maybe they are gassy. Too much Mexican (people) for dinner. ha.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]