StarCraft® II

SC1 to Wol: You ever wonder...

...if the former Confederate magistrate you play as in SC1's "Rebel Yell" Terran campaign is Matt Horner in WoL?

Think about it:

1. Matt and Jimmy are good friends. In the very first StarCraft campaign, you find Jim in the second, if not first mission (excluding the tutorial mission). Wouldn't the former magistrate and Jim be friends after being together for so long?

2. The former confederate magistrate was a commander of sorts, Matt's a commander of sorts...

3. (POSSIBLE SPOILER, I'll assume you played the entire campaign for this one) Ignore the whole Matt Horner thing for a moment and go back to SC1. Now go up to the part where Jimmy and his newly formed Raiders group hijacks the Hyperion (this is right after the last mission). Who do you think Jim would leave in charge of the Hyperion? The former magistrate, who else? Now assume that the same former magistrate never died, and he still commands the Hyperion in SC2...

Personally, I think Matt Horner = former confederate magistrate (same exact one from SC1).

P.S. I know the SC1 campaign because of this, which you could play the moment you get it set up:
http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/sc1-episode-1-rebel-yell/

It's apparently fine tuned often, so it can only get better. And yes, all 6 campaigns, from Rebel Yell to the end of Brood War, is all available.

Oh, and here's how you could set it up (but its a bit outdated):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hllP8T0Te-o
Edited by Setho on 4/29/2013 2:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yup, he is that man.

Did Blizzard ever confirm this (just wondering)?

Also, I recommend anyone who doesn't have Brood War to give the SC1 in SC2 thing a shot, even though there are a number of SC1 style things missing (mostly original unit voices).
Reply Quote
Blizzard has said that Matt is not the former Confederate magistrate. In fact, the novel Queen of Blades states that the magistrate left Raynor shortly after they all got off Char. That is the last we know about the magistrate.
Reply Quote
This is logical if you completely ignore

the canon back story that Blizzard has released about Matt Horner

The canon back story that Blizzard supports of how they captured the Hyperion (hint, he did not capture it during on Tarsonis)

What a Magistrate is and how a person would get to that position

military ranks

etc...
Reply Quote
Matt isn't the same person as the Magistrate; in the novel Devil's Due you meet the Magistrate of that area and his name and appearance are nothing like Horner's. In The Queen of Blades you read about how Matt was only recruited very shortly before the time when Raynor goes to Char to try and rescue Kerrigan.
Reply Quote
Either way, Matt Horner is clearly the coolest character in the StarCraft universe.
Reply Quote
Either way, Matt Horner is clearly the coolest character in the StarCraft universe.

lol, you have a point there.

" 'cause when you got a battle cruiser, who needs a car?" ('Terran up the Night' reference).

P.S. I'll probably ask about the executor(s) you play as in "The Fall" and "The Stand" campaigns once I get that far in the "SC1 in SC2" custom map series.
Edited by Setho on 5/2/2013 12:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This is logical if you completely ignore

the canon back story that Blizzard has released about Matt Horner

All your other points can be bypassed, but this is the nail in the coffin. Matthew was not the Magistrate.
Reply Quote
04/30/2013 07:34 PMPosted by Setho

lol, you have a point there.

" 'cause when you got a battle cruiser, who needs a car?" ('Terran up the Night' reference).

P.S. I'll probably ask about the executor(s) you play as in "The Fall" and "The Stand" campaigns once I get that far in the "SC1 in SC2" custom map series.

"The Fall" was confirmed to be Artanis. Yes this doesn't make much sense but it's in the books so we have to roll with it.

"The Stand" isn't confirmed, but a lot of people think it's Selendis. Which would make a bit of sense, though a lot of the books gave the impression she was new to the job in the years between SC1 and SC2.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]