Long Term Impressions of Campaign

Now that the campaign has been out for a while and most of us have had a chance to play through and complete all the objectives lets have some discussion on where it went right and where it went wrong. I dont want to get into story because that is far too subjective.

Ill start with the pros
  • Master Archives was far and away the best feature to add replay value to the campaign
  • Well designed missions with decent variability
  • Expanding was encouraged and necessary
  • Id prefer 27 real missions rather than the 20 missions and 7 evo missions but at expansion pricing I cant complain too much
  • Hero Kerrigan was fun
  • And the Cons
  • Hero Kerrigan too strong
  • Way too easy and dumbed down (no inject and tranfuse really wasnt microable)
  • Missing units and tech like drop, nydus, corrupters, overseers
  • Cant unselect tech in master archives
  • Boring achievements which consisted mostly of timed missions
  • Too much hero emphasis. Game was lacking in rts feel to some degree.
  • Upgraded units too good
  • Swarm host very clunky
  • There is just a lack replay value to much of the campaign. A lot of it has to do with there being so many hero missions and a lot has to do with the mission designs. I cant put my finger on it exactly but WoL seemed to have much more missions that were fun to go back and try different strats on.
    Edited by Mallard on 5/1/2013 1:44 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Cons:
    Torrasque Ultras with 40% damage regen = build 8+, a-click enemy base, and go afk

Pros:
    Same, but don't go afk and instead observe the insane imba in action
    Edited by TheReapist on 5/1/2013 5:51 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Cant unselect tech in master archives

Well, you could pick one that is the most worthless to you =).

Boring achievements which consisted mostly of timed missions

I noticed that as well =(. I suppose other potential achievements were thrown out from kerrigan being too strong.
    Reply Quote
    Pros
    (1) Their were actually a couple of interesting first-time boss fights. Well only 5, but hey, it's something.
    (2) Banelings, banelings, banelings, BANELINGS!!!!
    (3) Infested Kerrigan is OP beyond belief. I don't bother using my units offensively, I only use them defensively.
    (4) More cinematics is good, on the same amount of Warcraft 3. But nothing beats Warcraft 3 in CGI cinematography.

Cons
    (1) Rush, rush, rush. No planning, strategy, macro or anything. Just send masses of flesh at the enemy until a planet size of dead zerg drowns them.

(2) Almost all Zerg units are mostly novelty and obsolete, and were purposely designed and made exclusively to work well only in the map they were introduced in.

You could say use 20 broodlords to win a map, but why bother wasting 20 minutes doing that (Time to make + their slow movement and attack speed) when you can spawn and make 250 banelings within 3 minutes can do the same thing and still have a 100 leftover at the end?

(3) 20 missions hardly sates my appetite, and repeating the campaign has hardly any replay value.

All I can find myself doing is competing on "Completion Time", "Units Lost" and "Achievements".

At Least in WoL I was trying different things like Medivac/Hercules drops instead of breaking down the front door. (Can't pick up units in HotS or use Nydus Worms... why?)

(4) The whole thing about Broodmothers contacting you (Possibly more missions, because we had control of one on the Protoss ship.), felt like it was scrapped and replaced with a cheap dialogue (Why bother putting it in the first place then?) very quickly near the end of production.

(5) To much chatter in the end cinematic. If Kerrigan was really that interested in killing Mengsk, she would of done something immediately instead of waiting for him to use the Xel'Naga artifact with feigned surprise.

Even while on the floor, she decided dieing would be better instead of attempting to fight back.

Still don't know why Raynor didn't pop a couple of bullets in Mengsk, since he didn't, obviously like Mengsk at fracking all. Instead they give him a clean merciful death for "all the lives you have ruined".

(6) Narud must of been cast off from the world of Diablo 3 (They thought he was to evil and scheming), because he was more interesting and more badass than the "Lords of Hell" but his death still wasn't all that interesting. Because of his direct involvement (Literally the father/mother) of the Hybrids. One might think he would have Hybrids or something else helping him defend himself from Kerrigan. (Like one epic boss fight or something? Did that concept run through anyone's head when they watched the cinematic fight between them? I really did want to rip the guy's the head off myself.)
    Reply Quote
    I just HATED EVERY mission being on a timer. The evolutions are worthless because you never have time to 'play' with the new toys. Everything was rush rush rush. ALways a click fest and rush to the end of the mission. SC2 was like that too. Shouldn't have wasted my money on HOTS. They need fresh blood or something in their mission design teams. I hated it, this is supposed to be a STRATEGY game, no strategy whatsoever built into the missions. Doubt I will buy any more of this series unless I hear that this changes.
    Reply Quote
    I just HATED EVERY mission being on a timer. The evolutions are worthless because you never have time to 'play' with the new toys. Everything was rush rush rush. ALways a click fest and rush to the end of the mission. SC2 was like that too. Shouldn't have wasted my money on HOTS. They need fresh blood or something in their mission design teams. I hated it, this is supposed to be a STRATEGY game, no strategy whatsoever built into the missions. Doubt I will buy any more of this series unless I hear that this changes.

Bye.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]