Custom Observer UI - Questions and Answers!

(Sticky)

Developer
Hey everyone,

So as you may have already discovered, a number of people have been experimenting with making tweaks and modifications to both the custom observer ui system that we have in place for SC2, as well as modifying the UI for all of your own maps, mods, and games. We've seen a few wonderful resources available to people such as Helral's Override tutorial over on SC2 Mapster: http://www.sc2mapster.com/forums/resources/tutorials/20323-ui-sc2layout-files-override-method-aiurchef-method/ as well as other documentation that has been released by various individuals. In order to have a "one stop shop" for all of the custom UI needs you may have, we've created a central thread where you can ask your questions, share your tips and tricks, and help others who may be experiencing issues with their own UI. Feel free to ask how things have been done, whether or not things are possible, and other general questions.

Thanks, and we look forward to seeing what you guys can do!
Edited by Deletarius on 5/7/2013 2:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
From where can I get a custom UI? :D
Reply Quote
Hey I don't know how to post a forum, so, I just wanted to say I keep getting disconnected from Starcraft and my web browser is always okay, is that a blizzard problem?
Edited by Zyrephon on 5/7/2013 4:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think this is a great idea :D I'm looking forward to seeing more awesome UI's.

Hey I don't know how to post a forum, so, I just wanted to say I keep getting disconnected from Starcraft and my web browser is always okay, is that a blizzard problem?

You'll need to head over the the "tickets" section of the website for that. It's under the support arrow at the top right of the page. ^.^
Reply Quote
Oh, thanks Jman,
Reply Quote

Here are Blizzard's 3 interfaces.
http://www.sc2mapster.com/forums/resources/tutorials/51292-official-custom-observer-ui-information-guide/?post=1

edit:

Ok, now I had to return to an older question again:

- How do I create an image that is tinted in player color?

Answer:
<!-- player colored image -->
<Frame type="PlayerFrame" name="PlayerColoredImageExample">
<Anchor side="Top" relative="$parent" pos="Min" offset="5"/>
<Anchor side="Right" relative="$parent" pos="Max" offset="0"/>
<Anchor side="Bottom" relative="$parent" pos="Max" offset="-5"/>
<Anchor side="Left" relative="$this" pos="Min" offset="0"/>
<Width val="350"/>
<VersusModePlayerSide val="Left"/>
<Frame type="Image" name="Image">
<Anchor relative="$parent"/>
<IgnoreParentColor val="false"/>
<TextureType val="Normal"/>
<Texture val="gradient.dds"/>
<Alpha val="191"/>
<Tiled val="false"/>
<RenderPriority val="101"/>
</Frame>
</Frame>

But this frame has an updating problem with observers that you can see here:
http://snag.gy/0iTyB.jpg
Edited by Ahli on 5/9/2013 8:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Developer
05/08/2013 01:48 PMPosted by Ahli

Here are Blizzard's 3 interfaces.
http://www.sc2mapster.com/forums/resources/tutorials/51292-official-custom-observer-ui-information-guide/?post=1

edit:

Ok, now I had to return to an older question again:

- How do I create an image that is tinted in player color?

Answer:
<!-- player colored image -->
<Frame type="PlayerFrame" name="PlayerColoredImageExample">
<Anchor side="Top" relative="$parent" pos="Min" offset="5"/>
<Anchor side="Right" relative="$parent" pos="Max" offset="0"/>
<Anchor side="Bottom" relative="$parent" pos="Max" offset="-5"/>
<Anchor side="Left" relative="$this" pos="Min" offset="0"/>
<Width val="350"/>
<VersusModePlayerSide val="Left"/>
<Frame type="Image" name="Image">
<Anchor relative="$parent"/>
<IgnoreParentColor val="false"/>
<TextureType val="Normal"/>
<Texture val="gradient.dds"/>
<Alpha val="191"/>
<Tiled val="false"/>
<RenderPriority val="101"/>
</Frame>
</Frame>

But this frame has an updating problem with observers that you can see here:
http://snag.gy/0iTyB.jpg

Hey Ahli,

So unfortunately that's a matter of a bug that we'll have to fix for one of the patches coming up. Thanks for finding that though!
Reply Quote
I don't know if this can be done without triggers.

Basicly I want to reproduce a classic wc3 game mechanism -> cast ability via targeting the unit group icons.

But after I overrided the built-in InfoPaneGroup frame and inserted UnitTargetFrame into each GroupUnitButton, I still didn't find way to automaticlly bind the UnitTargetFrame to it's parent frame's corresponding unit...

I can set the target unit for the UnitTargetFrame using trigger action "Set Dialog Item Unit", yes. But I don't think it's an ideal method, because you need to update the value consistently. Plus it would be very hard to know which UnitTargetFrame should be assigned with which unit, especially when the player lost some unit in his selected group (there would be some blank slots, make the trigger more hard to identify their corresponding units)
Edited by Renee on 5/9/2013 11:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Fix the oracle
Reply Quote
Is it possible to create a new modified LeaderPanelUpgradeFrame that is independent from the original leaderpanel, so both can exist in co-existance?

I taught my upgrade panel to only show levelable upgrades, but it seems Blizzard patched the creation of the leaderpanel or its frames. This was possible a few months back when I was able to create a production frame that was always on screen.

Now I'm receiving an error that the frame can't be created because it's marked as Blizzard-only. :(
Well, I hope there is a way or it is made available again, so I can make use of my working prototype.

The plan is to display the weapon/armor upgrades on the screen at all times.

Here is a screenshot of my interface:
http://i.snag.gy/W9PHh.jpg
Both Terran AIs have more than these upgrades, but only the other upgrades aren't visible to the viewer due to a trick. Thanks to Renee for motivating me to try another approach which worked out in the end.

There is just the problem left that I need to transfer this outside the original leaderpanel. =/
I really wish that it is possible to realize that somehow.

edit:

Ok, Deletarius told me how it should work today and it worked.

You only need to create a "PlayerUpgradesFrame" as seen in BLizzard's Launch_1vs1 interface wherever you need the upgrades frame.
You need to transfer all the templates that are used within that frame, too.
Edited by Ahli on 5/29/2013 7:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hello, I want to see a text (number, like XP point) shows when WM kills units as an Observer. Can blizzard add this? Thanks.
Reply Quote
Hi, is there a way to get the full team name, not the tag, to use in a observer UI?

thx
Reply Quote
How will you deal with unit lost which happens out of the camera?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]