StarCraft® II

How to best defend a dark templar rush

I am fairly new so I play in bronze league although I dont normally lose matches. Last night I lost against someone who just sent four dark templars into my base. It was embarrassing.

What can I do to prevent that
Reply Quote
Im a garbage toss as well (high silver) but its 100% scouting. send in phoenix hallucinations or observers. always have a few units outside your base checking for proxies as well. thats all ive got
Reply Quote
There are two routes I usually take to avoid these situations, thanks to my buddy who is much better at the game than me.

Early Forge: build canons by the mineral line to avoid losing workers, and they give you sight.

Rush to a Robotics Facility: build Observers and place them at the front of your base, in the base, and at the front of theirs. The sight allows you to defend and watch the units.

Also remember to build a MotherShip Core and use the Photon Cannon ability; turning your Nexus into a powerful turret can save you from losing precious workers.

Hope this helps!
Reply Quote
It's easy to have an Observer out by this point. If you think that your opponent may be going Dark Tempar, you should immediately throw down the robo.

If you don't have any way to detect by the time DT can hit you, you might want to work more on your build. You can get to Plat or higher easily by doing a well done 3gate robo.
Reply Quote
I think if they have early 2 gas they might go dts just hurry up make forge and put like 1-2 cannons in ur mineral line
Reply Quote
To counter it, you should scout it. If you see a Twilight Council before other tech, as well as 2 gasses, he's probably going DTs. Blink Stalkers are an option, too, though, so it's best to scout the Dark Shrine if possible. Observers are the best detection against DTs, in my opinion. Oracles take more skill to use but if you can kill enough workers, the DT player is pretty much done for. A Forge + Cannon is the cheapest detection you can get but it can be killed easier (don't do Forge/Cannon blindly, btw).

Now, even if you hold off the DTs, you still have to watch out for Chargelot/Archon. Depending on the nature of the DT build (which you can judge by how early it hits and how many DTs there are, as well as his Probe and Gateway count) he could transition into 1-base Zealot/Archon, 2-base Zealot/Archon, or add a different tech and a 3rd base.
If you went the Oracle route and killed like 6 workers or more, you should be able to just make Stargate and Gateway units and proceed to win (here's a little hint: Oracles kill Archons for supply, Void Rays kill Stalkers when you press the Prismatic Alignment button), so long as you keep a lead on workers.
If you went the Obs route and want to stay on Robo, you'll need to get Zealots, Immortals, and Colossi. If you can get 3+ Colossi along with Gateway units, you can have the army advantage over Chargelot/Archon. Blink Stalkers are good if you can micro them. Make sure you don't get behind on economy.
If you went the Cannon route, you'll probably want to get a Robo or Stargate. You don't want to have to make a ton of Cannons (due to them being a good target) and if you want to attack you'll need mobile detection.
There is another strategy to take the win that works if the opponent is dedicated to DTs right into Chargelot/Archon without any other tech or upgrades. It's easiest if you go the Cannon route, sort of easy if you go the Obs route, and a bit harder if you go the Oracle route, and that is to make DTs of your own. DTs + detection beats DTs without detection any day.

Also, the MSC + Photon Overcharge is nice when defending against DTs and Chargelot/Archon, and nice to help secure an expo.

In general, you need to kill any proxy Pylons you can find... it buys you time vs most early rushes, including DTs.
Edited by NinjaDuckBob on 5/9/2013 2:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If you have a robo, build an observer.
If you have a stargate, build an oracle.
If you don't have either of those, make sure you have a forge and build a cannon.
Reply Quote
If you have a robo, build an observer.
If you have a stargate, build an oracle.
If you don't have either of those, make sure you have a forge and build a cannon.

That's pretty much it. Never have a build without at least the *potential* for detection in PvP.

The more you play the more you will start getting a spider sense for DTs though. It helps to be in the habit of having your army on hold position at the top of your ramp. DTs cant pass without killing something and this gives you time to forcefield and get detection/get it back in position.
Reply Quote
A Forge and Cannon won't really help unless the DTs arrive very late. The investment into the Cannons will put you far behind in tech, and it allows the opponent to expand to wherever he pleases due to the lack of 250+ extra mineral's worth of power in your army.

If you have a Robotics out, cancel any Immortal in production and Chrono Boost an Observer. Make sure you build another Pylon near the Robo in case the DTs attempt to snipe the only Pylon(s) powering it.

If you've opened Stargate, Chrono Boost an Oracle and provide extra power with supplementary Pylons in the same fashion you would to keep a Robo powered.

If you have opened Twilight Council, go for the Base Trade with Blink Stalkers or your own DTs. Build Assimilators at opposite corners of the map.

And if you have 4Gated, you're absolutely screwed.

Source: I've opened DT Rush about 33% of my PvPs, and this is how everyone responds.
Edited by Nocturne on 5/9/2013 5:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Easiest way switch to Terran. With Scans I highly doubt dt rush wil work
Reply Quote
I always build cannons early, especially vs. Protoss but even vs. Zerg or Terran due to mutas, zergling runbys, or cheeky drops. Always one by my front door to see DTs up the ramp and one or two by the mineral lines.

Easiest way switch to Terran. With Scans I highly doubt dt rush wil work

That's cute. I'm not the best player by any stretch of the imagination, but there are plenty of ways to make a Terran with this mindset regret it.
Edited by Kenos on 5/9/2013 9:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I always build cannons early, especially vs. Protoss but even vs. Zerg or Terran due to mutas, zergling runbys, or cheeky drops. Always one by my front door to see DTs up the ramp and one or two by the mineral lines.

You can do this if you see DTs or Phoenixes, but otherwise your money would be better spent on Gateways, Probes, and Nexi. Which is why scouting is important. Zerg there's FFE, of course. Terran, mostly viable lategame because you can gain a lot more in the early/midgame by using your minerals for other things, unless you scout cheese or something (MSC can help with that though).

That's cute. I'm not the best player by any stretch of the imagination, but there are plenty of ways to make a Terran with this mindset regret it.

This is quite true, particularly if the Terran knows how to use MULEs.
Edited by NinjaDuckBob on 5/10/2013 8:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
dt rush usually dies to aggression and if they dont die u would scout it

if its not rushed u would naturally have detection anyways
Reply Quote
Like you, i'm crap at SC ( Low Silver), and hate DT Rushes.

Place some cannons at your ramp( dont block it though), and behind the mineral line
Reply Quote
Spine/Spore at each mineral line.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]