StarCraft® II

What do I do with Xtra mins mid to late game?

(Sliver league player here) I feel like many protoss units are very gas heavy and u don't need many zealots in your composition. Around mid game I'm starved for gas but and 1 to 2k minerals hanging around. Do I need more production? Bases? By mid game I have three.
Reply Quote
I hear production and nexuses, but I don't know
Reply Quote
I just keep building bases and cannons to defend them. Make some throw-away zealots to harrass, get like 20 gateways. When you get maxed out you should attack and spend lots of money on production facilities so that you can reinforce as your supply goes down. Make sure you upgrade everything
Reply Quote
But the only production that uses only mins is gateways for zealots....
Reply Quote
Great. Thanks!
Reply Quote
1. More expansions
2. More gateways
3. More cannons to defend expansions
Reply Quote
1. More expansions
2. More gateways
3. More cannons to defend expansions

4. Warp in zealots from proxy pylons to do harass.
Reply Quote
You might not be able to handle this because I rarely pull it off as well but you should definitely start using warp prisms. The benefit the warp prism has over medivacs is itonly costs minerals and it can warp back up. By mid game, you should have about 8 warp gates. Get a warp prism out, get the speed boost if you can in the robotics bay because it helps a ton, and fly it in behind the natural and drop a bunch of zealots. Then, as he moves his army to deal with that, you go to his expos and snipe their nexus/lair/command center. Mass recall if you must. Also, you can try dropping about 4 zealots into the main and warp in about 2-4 sentries and force field the ramp while your zealots go to town. And, if your opponent gets paranoid enough, use hallucination to make a bunch of warp prisms and fly them around to freak him out while the real one or two drops all over the place. I have yet to achieve the last strategy but the force field ramp with zealots has made people rage quit before.
Edited by BaoTsetung on 5/8/2013 9:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If you are below max on 3 bases and floating too many minerals you need to do some research on how much production you can support per base.

If you are maxed with the perfect army, you just need to have such an overwhelming number of bases and production that you can replenish instantly.

Also remember that zealots are totally throwaway units that you should try to trade for enemy gas units/structures. In PvZ I'll periodically warp in up to 11 zealots at a time from warp prisms and pylons all over the map. Even if I just wasted 1,100 minerals to kill a 200/200 spire or a 300 min. hatchery I consider that money well spent. In fact I would spend double that in many situations.
Reply Quote
You can get Nexi, Warp Prisms, Pylons, Cannons, Gateways... but really there's nothing wrong with Zealots if you can get Charge. They're good for attacking expansions and actually fairly good fighting units if you get Charge. If nothing else they absorb shots while your ranged units do their work. Chargelots flanking or coming from behind can also be devastating to stuff like Tanks and Colossi.

Late game, though, I use them for attacking expansions, gradually replacing the ones in my army with higher-tech units (I love Archons for a front line), so being annoying is a good use for them until I max out on a high-tech army.
Reply Quote
Depending on what match up you're playing. If you're talking pvz, it's quite common to start floating mins and throwing down an insane amount of gates just seems silly. Rather than wasting all those mins on gates that will most likely sit idle most of the time, you just make a warp prism and run around with it. Make just zealots though, this is to dump those extra mins. Know when enough is enough, spamming the zealots too much will cause your gas to float and you will hurt your main army.

Hope that helps, GL HF!
Edited by LeGo on 5/9/2013 10:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If what some people (not all) are saying sounds complicated, then think of it like this.

Do you have 400 mins?
YES

Are you going to even use it?
PROBABLY NOT

Build Nexus!
BUT I WANT VESPENE!

Then focus on the geysers and not the minerals!
OKAY! :)
Reply Quote
But the only production that uses only mins is gateways for zealots....

See, the thing that lower level players may not realize is that both gateways and zealots are really really good when used appropriately.

More gateways -> higher reinforcement potential when your army dies

Zealots at proxy locations around the map for harass -> force the opponent to deal with it or lose much more important things (as Pesto mentions, 1100 minerals for a 200/200 spire or 300 hatchery is DEFINITELY worth it). If the enemy overcommits to defense, you can strike with your main army elsewhere.

It helps to have Charge researched on the zealots.
Edited by Caelum on 5/9/2013 12:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If what some people (not all) are saying sounds complicated, then think of it like this.

Do you have 400 mins?
YES

Are you going to even use it?
PROBABLY NOT

Build Nexus!
BUT I WANT VESPENE!

Then focus on the geysers and not the minerals!
OKAY! :)

Well, thats wrong, but ok.
Reply Quote
SPAM GATEWAYS like a lunatic :D
Reply Quote
Invest into 10+ more Gateways. In a huge engagement, you'll need some way to remax your army in a short amount of time. Once you have 25+, you may feel comfortable to focus more on Expansions. Expand wherever is a good spot for defending, and cover that expansion with Cannons.
Reply Quote
and u don't need many zealots in your composition

theres your mistake. charge zealots, archons and storm vs terran. you only phase out zealots in the late game.

not so much vs zerg though. you still need zealots vs protoss.
Edited by Enigma on 5/9/2013 7:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
theres your mistake. charge zealots, archons and storm vs terran

In my experience, zealots melt aways vs. hellbats. I use them mainly for cannon fodder, while my gas-heavy units do most of the damage.
Reply Quote
In my experience, zealots melt aways vs. hellbats. I use them mainly for cannon fodder, while my gas-heavy units do most of the damage.

Hellbats are very good vs Zealots, yes, but just because a unit can be eaten like that doesn't mean you should never make it in the first place in that matchup. They're for dealing some extra damage and, many a times more importantly, buying time for your gas-heavy units to do damage, like you said.

You can still flank the Terran army if you see it. Even if he has Hellbats, Chargelots will be good. They're even better at fighting Terrans that don't have Hellbats, and are supurb for harassing stuff for their cost.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]