StarCraft® II

Starcraft Paper and Pen RPG (Shadowrun Rules)

Greetings everyone.

I'm currently working on a Starcraft setting using the Shadowrun rules. Initial plan is for the players to be working with various factions while using the Starcraft Campaigns as a backdrop and inspiration for various missions.

Mengsk, Raynorm, and whoever else will be acting as "Mr. Johnsons" (the guys who give the mission), which might either be in place of the various Starcraft missions or help augment them (doing recon missions, heists, and such).

Initial planet that I'm going for will be Mar Sara, a few days/weeks before Chau Sara gets incinerated.

What do you all think? Questions/Comments/Concerns are appreciated.
Reply Quote
You would have to post the rules for Shadowrun, I'm not familiar with them. I would be interested in this though.
Reply Quote
Shadowrun is a levelless system that uses rankings in skills and attributes that help decide how many D6 (six sided dice) are used. The setting is a cyberpunk feel with magic thrown into the mix (basically the players are a "deniable-asset" team that go on missions given by various factions that otherwise couldn't or wouldn't do it themselves due to political or public backlash).

The disadvantage with the system is a hefty set up cost up front, but the advantage is that a player doesn't have to be at each and every meeting (unlike D&D type games, where missing one or two games can leave the player in dust on the power scale).

Another advantage is that while the tech base in Starcraft might not be very advance (not much use of drones, magic abilities, etc.), it does allow a player to use most of the gear in teh Shadowrun setting with out too much conversion.
Reply Quote
... I've got friends who've told me about Shadowrun and it really doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would work on the forums...

Don't mean to be a downer, but I felt it needed stating.
Edited by Warhawk on 5/21/2013 6:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
... I've got friends who've told me about Shadowrun and it really doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would work on the forums...

Don't mean to be a downer, but I felt it needed stating.
I think it should be tried at least, even if only for novelty. Who knows, maybe it might even work decently.
Reply Quote
/shrug

Who knows. I may just be being pessimistic. I'm just worried that things would be too complicated and that people would cheat their dice rolls.
Reply Quote
I know of a few gaming forums that have a dice roller.

The only time it would be complicated is when rolls are called for. Otherwise, I'm going for rule of 3 (every three dice that would be rolled can be exchanged for 1 success).

Normally a d6 would be rolled for each point in a given test, with results of 4 and 5 counting as successes (or hits).

It's understandable where your concerns are coming from, though, Warhawk.

Also, before it gets asked, the characters are not starting off with power armor.
Reply Quote
I hate squashing creativity and ideas, but as someone who has played the shadow-run d6 system I do not see this working out well in this particular forum for a few of reasons.

---Disclaimer---
The following is assuming you are using the tabletop system with as little variation as possible.
---End---

1- Number cruncher RPs have a bad history here. Not a reason in and of itself, but it will serve as a road block in your attempt. I think PKA is the only one that even began to manage to pull # crunching off.

2- Character Creation. It's a pain. Even speaking verbally with someone with more experience when creating a character can still make for a difficult process. And we have to do this all through text? Shadow Run is (in my admittedly limited experience) the most complex character creation I have ever seen.

3- Dedication. You need to be willing to suffer through the beginning pains of rule learning (character creation rears its ugly head again)

4- Inherent limitations of the system. In my opinion dice impose limitations on characters that may make play more realistic, but stifle creativity.

This was best demonstrated in a webcomic called DM of the Rings (Lord of the Rings when played with D&D rules). The Legalos character is talking about how it would be awesome if he: Climbed up the arrows like a ladder, shot some guys on top of the overlarge elephant, then cut the strap so the basket fell off, then use the momentum from that to get to the top of the back and shoot the elephant in the head to kill it.

But can you imagine all the checks you would need to make for all that?

Easier (and safer) just to shoot at it from the ground.

---Observation---
I seem fairly pessimistic in this post.
---End---

Don't let this stop you, but be aware that these are some of the challenges you will face.
Edited by Zanon on 5/28/2013 2:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I hate squashing creativity and ideas, but as someone who has played the shadow-run d6 system I do not see this working out well in this particular forum for a few of reasons.

---Disclaimer---
The following is assuming you are using the tabletop system with as little variation as possible.
---End---

1- Number cruncher RPs have a bad history here. Not a reason in and of itself, but it will serve as a road block in your attempt. I think PKA is the only one that even began to manage to pull # crunching off.

PKA? Not sure I have heard of that.

05/28/2013 02:52 AMPosted by Zanon
2- Character Creation. It's a pain. Even speaking verbally with someone with more experience when creating a character can still make for a difficult process. And we have to do this all through text? Shadow Run is (in my admittedly limited experience) the most complex character creation I have ever seen.

Depends on the edition. While the up front math can be complex, it does allow some basic intuitive math. That being said, the back end math for leveling is drastically reduced, an also allows for more organic flow (you didn't take such skill at creation, but after two games you realize that such skill comes up often for your character and decide to invest some points into it for the next session.)

Example: You have a marine bodyguard for the group, but you find yourself mostly just waiting around for things to shoot at while the group is doing some linguistics or other nonhazardous check. You decide to put skills into computer and electronics, mostly to get more out of your armor (a sensor attachment, or maybe some communication scanners), but also to provide assistance to the hackers and riggers.

It's a lot easier to get a player back into a campaign quicker with the Shadowrun system than the D&D System if they weren't too prepared before then. (Not to mention what has happened in the timeframe the player was gone. Quite a few times the player just came up with a new character.)

05/28/2013 02:52 AMPosted by Zanon
3- Dedication. You need to be willing to suffer through the beginning pains of rule learning (character creation rears its ugly head again)

That's with any system.

4- Inherent limitations of the system. In my opinion dice impose limitations on characters that may make play more realistic, but stifle creativity.

This was best demonstrated in a webcomic called DM of the Rings (Lord of the Rings when played with D&D rules). The Legalos character is talking about how it would be awesome if he: Climbed up the arrows like a ladder, shot some guys on top of the overlarge elephant, then cut the strap so the basket fell off, then use the momentum from that to get to the top of the back and shoot the elephant in the head to kill it.

But can you imagine all the checks you would need to make for all that?

Easier (and safer) just to shoot at it from the ground.

Easier? Debatable. Remember though that in the movie Legolas (sp?) wasn't trying to do that in one round.

---Observation---
I seem fairly pessimistic in this post.
---End---

Don't let this stop you, but be aware that these are some of the challenges you will face.

I'm curious as to your experience, since it sounds like the first time you played it did not go well for you. How long ago was it that you played? How many games did you play?

Also:

Recruitment thread for the game on the Giantitp forums (they have their own dice roller).

You'll need to sign up on that forum to be able to post, but if you're interested in playing, drop a line.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284947
Edited by Saronian on 5/28/2013 5:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I will admit that my first shadow-run experience was a bad one.

First and foremost the GM had all the character sheets on his computer. It was a pain not to have your own stats in front of you. (I WANT MY PAPER!) He figured this out later on and printed stuff out.

Secondly, a group of first time players (about 50%) was basically exposed to an epic campaign first game. It was something about like this: Jonson says steal this. Runners say ok and steal stuff. OOPS! Jonson lied to you! That was a mega-corp's research facility you just robbed. And that stuff is kind of important... Well, really important. Like, able to kill a dragon important.

Two games later we killed a pair of twins who turned out to be the twin sons of a DRAGON! The dragon teleported to the location and destroyed a bunch of stuff while we ran.

I forgot the most important part.

I was implicated in the bombing of several Starbucks (as part of a bad guy black-mail effort). My character's face was on international news. Fame isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Reply Quote
I was implicated in the bombing of several Starbucks (as part of a bad guy black-mail effort). My character's face was on international news. Fame isn't all it's cracked up to be.

This is making me want to play shadowrun.
Reply Quote
I will admit that my first shadow-run experience was a bad one.

First and foremost the GM had all the character sheets on his computer. It was a pain not to have your own stats in front of you. (I WANT MY PAPER!) He figured this out later on and printed stuff out.

That's like playing D&D with a GM controlled paper and doesn't let you have any say in it's creation.

05/28/2013 06:19 AMPosted by Zanon
Secondly, a group of first time players (about 50%) was basically exposed to an epic campaign first game. It was something about like this: Jonson says steal this. Runners say ok and steal stuff. OOPS! Jonson lied to you! That was a mega-corp's research facility you just robbed. And that stuff is kind of important... Well, really important. Like, able to kill a dragon important.

Like you said, Epic campaign level with pros who can see through any normal plot. That being said, him doing that to you guys is not kosher.

05/28/2013 06:19 AMPosted by Zanon
Two games later we killed a pair of twins who turned out to be the twin sons of a DRAGON! The dragon teleported to the location and destroyed a bunch of stuff while we ran.

Yeah, that's like having the players play commoners in D&D, then through a CR 10 monster and expect them to win. Not cool, man.

Seriously, that's a killer GM you had who was expecting you guys to learn on a steep learning curve. Hopefully the campaign will be easier this time around.

I forgot the most important part.

So, did you character have any role or was he being framed (I'm thinking framed, though unsure)?

Any way, to solve the dice problem (when they are being used), I will be using the Giantitp Forum.

Copy and paste link, register for the forum, and hopefully the game will go good for everyone.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284947
Reply Quote
I'd love to do something like this. What are the limitations to character creation, because I noticed that on the forum it says build points 400. Also can you give maybe an example or link me to one?
Edited by Galvian on 5/30/2013 12:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'd love to do something like this. What are the limitations to character creation, because I noticed that on the forum it says build points 400. Also can you give maybe an example or link me to one?

#1) Needs to have a background story. 1 to 3 Paragraphs, though more is welcome. Would like personality and appearance to be covered.

#2) Character sheet should roughly match background. Though I'm not a stickler for specifics, having a skill higher than 3 (4+) should be explained why it is a focal point.

#3) Qualities should also be explained in background. Having an enemy of 6 means you pissed off the Confederacy and they have a multimillion dollar bounty on your head (doesn't have to be a great reason, but at least a good one).

#4) Reasonable gear for you character. One player who has dropped out was going for a former Confed Marine that kept his armor (due to the newer powered armor that the Confederacy is fielding and the resocialized recruits they are using).

#5) For limitations, restrictions, and "banned" material: No Resonance abilities and gear, no Magic abilities or gear, not alternate races (or Elf/Orc poser is possible for various reasons that should be explained in character), and nothing that'll give people a headache. Also, please keep disgruntled jerk characters to a minimum, please.

I'll try and get an example setup soon, but until then I would like to work on backstory first, if at all possible.
Reply Quote
Placeholder of sorts

1) Ok I think I can do 1 paragraph at least
2) Simple enough but what's the scale? 1-5 or 1-10?
3) Is the enemies thing like for each faction? also if it's 1-10 then what's the 1 and what's the 10 0-0
4) Makes sense
5) What do you mean by Resonace abilities and gear? What about psychic.
Reply Quote
Placeholder of sorts

1) Ok I think I can do 1 paragraph at least.

Either on here or the Giantitp forums.

05/30/2013 06:20 AMPosted by Galvian
2) Simple enough but what's the scale? 1-5 or 1-10?

Base is 1, with a Human max of 6 (7 with the Exceptional Quality for that stat). For now, I'd worry more on the Background and I can help with the character.

3) Is the enemies thing like for each faction? also if it's 1-10 then what's the 1 and what's the 10 0-0?

Enemies is to a group or individual. For now, though, just concentrate on the background.

4) Makes sense.

If you're playing a mercenary, I'd expect weapons, armor, explosives to a degree and the skills to handle them competently.

Playing a scholar would be lots of skills in various knowledges and technical skills with gear that further helps you out.

5) What do you mean by Resonace abilities and gear? What about psychic?

In Shadowrun, Resonance is how someone can intuitively manipulate the network (called the Matrix in SR) while Magic is, well, Magic and the abilities to cast spells and bind spirits and the like.

For now, though, Psionic/Psychic abilities are not being addressed per se until players are more familiar with the rules for now.

Starcraft is more of a hightech/lowfantasy setting and "psionic" mastery is more for the governement to exploit.

That being said, every one (meaning humans) have a Psionic stat of 1, to represent innate potential. Only through training or exposure can it be increased and even then it will take time to increase the abilities.

Questions/Comments/Concerns?
Reply Quote
So, any one interested in a game?
Reply Quote
Magic and Psionic are pretty much interchangeable, to be honest. Everything you can do with magic you could do with psionics. Fireball? Pyrokinetic individual. Also, if you're going to do it based from the Starcraft universe, then the two other races, which are mostly key in the storyline, need to be included.

Also, there is a new Shadowrun coming out soon.
Edited by Jester on 6/6/2013 8:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Not quite. Plus, Terran psionic abilities weren't really refined beyond mind reading, sensing, a bit of body and mind control and the like (Nova is the only one that I know of who could kill people with her mind). And while the other two races are involved, they won't be player races for the time being.

Also, while Fireball would be out, having Lightningbolt/Lightning Storm wouldn't be out of the question. You would just need to be really good at your control and abilities.
Reply Quote
06/06/2013 08:32 AMPosted by Saronian
Lightningbolt/Lightning Storm

High Templar/Electrokinetic individual (although it looks like a storm for SC2, someone theorized that the Khala is a control of Electro-magnetics.) Abilities can be trained and focused on certain things. Technopathy comes to mind for one character, as does the previously-mentioned Pyrokinetic. Kerrigan can kill with her mind, as she almost did on the Hyperion.

Stifling creativity.
Edited by Jester on 6/6/2013 8:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]