StarCraft® II

Protoss buff balance test map

Developer
I'm sure you guys have been seeing this too, but we're noticing Protoss slightly underperforming at the highest level of play especially in Korea and Europe. We gathered a lot of feedback in this area and opinion seems mixed on whether Protoss is weak or not.

However, just in case they are and because they do look slightly weaker in terms of performance, we'd like to start on a balance test map so that we can be prepared with a patch if needed down the line. We aren't planning on patching right away, but we'd like to at least try some changes to see how they affect the Protoss game.

As we've been saying many times before, our goal is still to make the game more dynamic and allow for more diverse action throughout the game. We feel the advantage of this is watching the same matchup over and over is a lot more exciting because you never know what you're going to get. If there's constant action throughout the game there are varying degrees of successes and failures each time which really shape up every game differently. Compared that to what we were seeing last year PvT for example where both sides just macro up then meet in the center of the map for 1 or 2 main battles. This is why we'd much rather buff something on the Protoss that allows them to be more aggressive throughout the game rather than nerfing strong harass units like Medivacs.

What we'd like to first try is Warp Prisms starting off with the upgraded speed and getting rid of the speed upgrade. This will encourage Protoss to be more aggressive throughout the game from a much earlier point in time. We'd like to see what this change does and also would like to make sure it doesn't buff the all in rushes too much. Of course if this feels like a good direction after testing but feels like too big of a buff, we can also try a slightly increased movement speed on the unit while keeping the upgraded speed the same.

Please give us your thoughts, and we'll try to push out a balance test map this week at the earliest.
Wow this is huge

05/28/2013 09:50 AMPosted by Dayvie
Warp Prisms starting off with the upgraded speed

Am going to try it out

I think it is a good thing to promote warp prism play since it is really exciting to watch yet hard to play against. While this will help protoss deal with SH play, I fear it could be too much to handle for Terran since the speedprism will severely outclass vikings thus being hard to shutdown. But i feel this is definitely going in the right direction.

friendly reminder : warp prism with upgrade are as fast as stimmed marine and faster than vikings
Edited by VieuxSinge on 5/28/2013 11:49 AM PDT
Protoss all-ins get stronger, woohoo!

Wow this is huge

Warp Prisms starting off with the upgraded speed

Thanks for reiterating what I read 2 inches above your post. Really put it into a different perspective for me.
Edited by JustALilBit on 5/28/2013 10:04 AM PDT
As always, average protoss players get to benefit from their underperforming pros. So tired of blizz buffing protoss because on ladder they are fine and maybe even OP
are you kidding? you now buff protoss? get rid off all upgrades free reaper speed free siege mode now free speed warpprism??? AND ZERG???
Wow you guys REALLY like drop play
holy smokes
I hope people will actually play this map. I couldnt get anyone to play the last test map.
I will try it out. I think this will help as I never build any warp prisms in PvT.
That's a savings of 300/300 for speed prism plays that don't involve a colossus... which sounds quite good. And if it does involve a colossus, it delays the 200/200 expenditure by quite a bit. I think I'd always build warp prisms if that were the case.
I think this is a great idea, it gives robo's some usefulness for aggression similarly to stargate openers.

If you think about Overlord/Overseer usefulness/vision already, the speed upgrade requirement they have is necessary and the Medivacs healing and also have afterburners, warp prisms needed a little love up front (warping in units is great, but they are so slow and the Robotics bay desperately needs to be researching Thermal Lance before speed).

Would Dev's consider adding a +10 shields research for gateway units at Robotics Bay, or would that be too strong/not useful enough?
Is the balance team still considering the Oracle speed buff?
Dropping and counter-dropping.

Love the style. I use Warp Prisms vs Terran and have now started to vs Zerg, too, with a good amount of success. This will make it stronger, like the strong Medivacs were made stronger as well, if this is implemented (still maybe not quite as strong as Medivacs but that's expected).
As always, average protoss players get to benefit from their underperforming pros. So tired of blizz buffing protoss because on ladder they are fine and maybe even OP

I agree. Protoss seems to be the hardest to obtain success with at the highest levels but the easiest till Masters league.
I feel like balance test map aren't played enough... why not to create a separate ladder queue for "balance testing", just like for unranked ? Maybe more people would play it and it would be balanced matches, wouldn't that be better to figure out whether the changes are good or not ?
He knows it will be too much, it will definitely be scaled back a bit before being implemented in the real game. He's just starting off with a big change so it is very noticable.

it may end up being faster base speed for the prism, or prism speed moved to cycore, or cheaper or something.

this is basically a "hey if we give you free speed prisms, maybe you'll find out how good they are, so you'll use them even after we take it back"
Is the balance team still considering the Oracle speed buff?

I still think this makes it stronger at what people already complain about it being strong as, but still doesn't fix its ability to be made absolutely useless for harass outside of mass numbers or Voids mixed in by static D, etc.
Edited by NinjaDuckBob on 5/28/2013 10:08 AM PDT
You could have an Unranked Test mode or something for the map ^ ^
I still think this makes it stronger at what people already complain about it being strong as, but still doesn't fix its ability to be easily countered by static D, etc.

True it does, but it allows for easier micro where you can go in with the oracle, get a few kills, and get out before it dies.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]