StarCraft® II

Zerg Viper: Useful or Useless?

the viper is an awesome support unit. they are hard to use properly
Reply Quote
Their just like every other unit in starcraft...depends on the situation. If you are being contained and you need help moving out they are a god send. If you need to snipe units, they are great. Just depends on the situation.

Problem with them is zerg players forget about them sometimes and then complain about how they have no counter for certain situations. A lot need to get out of the WoL mind set and start thinking in the HoTS way. But that also applies to other races as well.
Reply Quote
I see that you're having a lot of what-ifs when talking about Vipers, but all of them are negative what-ifs. Just think about what you can do with them instead of what can happen to them.

Agreed, I am having negative thoughts about vipers, and probably thinking about what I can do with them would probably help =P. I think as long as I keep the defiler in BW, then I should be fine =P
Reply Quote
TvZ:
Against a Meching player Vipers are amazing. Roach/Viper/(hydra) is THE way to go against mech (transitioning into Ultras later on). They pretty much make Tanks and Thors completely useless and lets you fight 50 times more cost effecient.
Against a bio player I wouldn't get a Viper in a million years... I'll keep it to Infestors in that case if I wanted a caster unit.

ZvP:
Decent against certain sky-toss, does well against Collosus balls... but nothing too special. It's possible, it might help a lot, but it's not needed.

ZvZ:
I'd rather have a chance of winning.
Reply Quote
Vipers are seriously one of the most powerful units in the game. They're absolute game changers. Think of how effective your ground army is by itself. Now think of how much more effective it becomes with a few vipers in play. They're kind of insane.
Reply Quote
viper kinda useless imo..they are easily targeted down and it took too long for them to consume energy, still prefer infestor.
Reply Quote
Vipers are seriously one of the most powerful units in the game. They're absolute game changers. Think of how effective your ground army is by itself. Now think of how much more effective it becomes with a few vipers in play. They're kind of insane.

From what I've read, they are really good units (lots of high level zerg are saying that), but are pretty tough to use. High risk high reward =P
Reply Quote
From what I've read, they are really good units (lots of high level zerg are saying that), but are pretty tough to use. High risk high reward =P

This is true, they are easy to focus down using Vikings and High Templars. However, with some good controle they're able to be extremely effective, while only losing a few of them.
Reply Quote
06/09/2013 06:53 AMPosted by Avendesora

This is true, they are easy to focus down using Vikings and High Templars. However, with some good controle they're able to be extremely effective, while only losing a few of them.

Yeah, I had about 5 of them yesterday and like 30 mutas or so, (with roaches and slings on the ground) against a terran mech ball of thors, tanks, and battle hellions. I ran through that army with the blinding cloud, and i only lost one viper and MAYBE a few mutas (:
Reply Quote
Incredibly useful to shut down ranged units or pull over big units like collosi or thors.
Reply Quote
Incredibly useful to shut down ranged units or pull over big units like collosi or thors.

Yeah, I used that feature quite a bit in this game. Also the blinding cloud helped a lot. Basically, the viper won me the game, if I didn't have it, I probably would have lost. http://drop.sc/341131
Reply Quote
So usefull, check out this game.

http://ggtracker.com/matches/3436937

I'm so behind and my macro slips from early pressure but getting vipers makes killing collosi armies absent templars so easy.
Reply Quote
stay in silver kiddo.
Reply Quote
I think 1-2 Vipers are always worth it.
Reply Quote
Vipers are the the new Mothership vortex from WoL. They are either extremely OP, or completely useless. It all comes down to micro and a pinch of luck.
Reply Quote
So my hydras friends started hanging out with these vipers and they were like dude we totally don't die as much and we can totally RP badass like Scoprion and be like GET OVER HERE!!!! Then the baneling were like you think you could help us with our premature explosion problem and the vipers were like TOTALLY!!! Then Big Ultra came by and with a tear in his eye whimpered to the viper, "I always wished I could fly". And he was like I GOT YOU BRO!!! And that was first time I ever saw a ultralisk fly over the moon all E.T. style eventually crashing into a Terran mineral line. Well ehh if all my other friends are doing it I might as well. LINGS we don't have to worry about range anymore party at Kevin's b.y.o.b.
Reply Quote
blinding cloud works on static defense.

i love that.
Edited by Oboeman on 6/10/2013 1:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I particularly like them (although I honestly don't use them an awful lot) as their abilities are pretty useful. They can be devastating when combined with other certain units. I've witnessed some really devastating plays with them. I haven't honestly witnessed it, but I've also heard about players snatching building units like SCVs and infesting them and using them to build counter units with them lol.

But Idk. I'm pretty happy with the new HoTS units.
Reply Quote
useless

O.O what are you smoking bro
Reply Quote
I've never used them but I plan on it so I can be like Skorpian from Mortal Kombat and when I use that ability I'm going to type it into the chat like a BAWS
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]