Why was the campaign so poorly done?

Compared to WoL this campaign was very...LITE, no special campaign units were given the zerg, the Overlords were reduced to nothing, Nydus Worms weren't even useable, no Corruptor. The story was rushed there were no real choices in the story.

What went wrong?

I was hoping for some decently long campaign like WoL, It took me a good number of days to complete that on hard alone, I knocked this game out in one day on brutal. and thats not the mention most of the mission being very lack luster, overall it was very disappointing.

And I was especially hoping for a wide branching story like Keriann gets to choose between staying a terrain or becoming a zerg giving the campaign much replayability like WoL and its alliances and unit choices, I don't even think I used most of the upgraded units I got.

Please don't skimp on the next campaign blizzard.

This kind of does give me the urge to mess around in the editor and make some missions....
Edited by Streetguru on 6/6/2013 11:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
no special campaign units were given the zerg

Stopped reading exactly here
Reply Quote
no special campaign units were given the zerg

So...Abberations, Impalers and Lurkers aren't special units? Not to mention the Evolution Chamber mutations of the Zergling, Baneling, Roach, Swarm Host and Ultralisk.

And to be fair here...WoL may of had A LOT of "special" campaign only units, but most were either useless, or overlapped by better units.

the Overlords were reduced to nothing

I kinda agree here. However, Overseers would of been kinda useless in the campaign, because they are designed to be a harassment and spy unit which just doesn't translate well against an AI enemy. Add in the fact that Blizzard simply refuses to allow enemies to use "cloaking" so there would of been no point in having it for detecting. And as for transporting, with how they designed the missions, you really didn't need to use transports for anything. Even in WoL, the only time you really needed transports was for the Moebius rescue mission.

Nydus Worms weren't even useable

This is quite understandable. Nydus Worms would of made some of the missions too easy to complete. Just think of missions where you would of had to destroy a structure. You could simply pop a Nydus Worm nearby and cheese it almost instantly. There's also the possibility of it breaking cut-scenes and what-not for going somewhere much earlier then your suppose to.

no Corruptor

This one is kinda odd. Mabye Blizz thought that Vipers overlapped with their role as anti-air here, but if you look at the campaign, you'd notice that Zerg had practically no anti-air. Corruptors, Scourge, Devourers and even Vipers if you chose the Brood Lord mutation would of been out of the picture. Almost like Blizzard didn't want aerial battles in the campaign. But, I'm just gunna go with Blizz thinking that Vipers overlapped with the Corruptor's role.

The story was rushed there were no real choices in the story.

The story was definitly rushed. No doubt about that, but "choices" I think don't really work well in RTS. At least not in the way Blizzard's been doing it. WoL, the planet choices made the missions between Mar Sara and Char all disjointed and stuck in place, feeling like nothing was getting accomplished. And the missions where you had to side with someone (Haven, New Folsom) were freaking terrible (they don't even play a role in HotS).

HotS does it somewhat better since the planets are now in arcs, but really, there's nothing different aside from Kerrigan having her Zerus form or not in some of the cut-scenes. The story also actually feels like it's moving this time around since it's more linear compared to WoL. Making the planets have "arcs" was probably Blizzard's best decision so far towards the campaign.

And I was especially hoping for a wide branching story like Keriann gets to choose between staying a terrain or becoming a zerg giving the campaign much replayability like WoL and its alliances and unit choices, I don't even think I used most of the upgraded units I got.

Again, branching just isn't going to happen. At least not with the current Blizzard. They attempted it in WoL and failed miserably, and didn't even bother to attempt to improve on it in HoTS. But honestly, I think branch storytelling just isn't there yet. Even Bioware who people claim is the king of branch storytelling doesn't have it correct yet. *points at Mass Effect 3*

It will definitly be an award winning game the day a company makes a game that actually branches into two different storylines, and not having just simple choices like if this person should die or not, or what pathway to take to an end mission objective.
Edited by Retloclive on 6/7/2013 8:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/06/2013 11:10 PMPosted by Streetguru
And I was especially hoping for a wide branching story like Keriann gets to choose between staying a terrain or becoming a zerg giving the campaign

Because this definitely wouldn't cause problems with the sequels. (/sarcasm)

There is no difference between PQoB Kerri and De-infested Kerri besides appearance and power level.

The major re-playability in WoL is optimizing the order you did the missions in and what upgrades you got so hard and brutal are easier.

~~~Darth Caedus
Edited by DarthCaedus on 6/7/2013 9:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/07/2013 08:43 AMPosted by DarthCaedus
And I was especially hoping for a wide branching story like Keriann gets to choose between staying a terrain or becoming a zerg giving the campaign

Because this definitely wouldn't cause problems with the sequels. (/sarcasm)

There is no difference between PQoB Kerri and De-infested Kerri besides appearance and power level.

The major re-playability in WoL is optimizing the order you did the missions in and what upgrades you got so hard and brutal are easier.

~~~Darth Caedus

Not exactly you could just have one been the canon way of doing things,Kerrigan becoming a zerg, and a non cannon video game version, Kerrigan staying in her human form It would have added a lot of replayability and variety in the missions, each branch would have given you different missions and abilities.

And I know the mutation were like special units, but I never even found myself needed to use some of them like the hydralisks or swarm hosts(Who were nearly useless on their first mission from my experience) I ment like bringing back some older zerg units, inventing entirely new ones.

I think I got my first lost level though, assuming you could choose between staying a terrian and becoming a zerg and you choose terrian, I think I'll have someone where you need to sneak through the city with kerrigan being "captured" by some extended life lurker marines. or something along those lines
Reply Quote
It will definitly be an award winning game the day a company makes a game that actually branches into two different storylines, and not having just simple choices like if this person should die or not, or what pathway to take to an end mission objective.

What do you mean by "simple"? Do you want some deep conflicting reasons to choose one thing or the other? Or do you mean these choices arent important? I did feel that the choices were obvious in SC2 (side with tosh, side with selendis, take out the air). However, i do not think that someone dying is something you can say isnt "important".

I also think infamous did this well
Edited by Brathearon on 6/7/2013 11:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
And actually the branching story with Kerrigan choosing her path does make sense considering at one point you learn that it didn't matter what the queen of blades looked like. Maybe this was cut too...
Reply Quote
06/07/2013 11:40 AMPosted by Streetguru
Not exactly you could just have one been the canon way of doing things,Kerrigan becoming a zerg, and a non cannon video game version, Kerrigan staying in her human form It would have added a lot of replayability and variety in the missions, each branch would have given you different missions and abilities.

No, even I wasn't all that happy with the choice system in WoL, frankly I don't like making pointless choices.
Reply Quote
The story was pretty bad. The cutscenes were mostly mediocre (with the only truly Blizzardworthy one being the trailer). The campaign wasnt bad but it was highly unpolished with continued bugs, questionable design philosophies and poor balancing.

Ultimately I would rate it as one of Blizzard's worst expansions yet. It wasnt bad, which speaks to the quality of most Blizzard games, but it was far from previously set standards and an ominous sign of things to come considering Blizzard now has back to back mediocrity with D3 and HotS.
Reply Quote
The story was pretty bad. The cutscenes were mostly mediocre (with the only truly Blizzardworthy one being the trailer). The campaign wasnt bad but it was highly unpolished with continued bugs, questionable design philosophies and poor balancing.

Ultimately I would rate it as one of Blizzard's worst expansions yet. It wasnt bad, which speaks to the quality of most Blizzard games, but it was far from previously set standards and an ominous sign of things to come considering Blizzard now has back to back mediocrity with D3 and HotS.

It certainly didn't reach the bar of WoL, and must we speak of the travesty called diablo 3?
Reply Quote
What do you mean the Zerg didn't get any special units? The Swarm Queen was a dream unit for multiplayer. Aberrations were a special unit, so was all the crazy mutation units like the Raptor Ling, Swarmling, Impaler, Lurker, etc etc.

I really enjoined the campaign my only complaint was that it was not as long. The cutscenes of brood mothers reaching out to Kerrigan and her commanding them to do something could have been missions.

I also in a way thought the game copied a lot of the WoL missions.

Waking the Ancient - Welcome to the Jungle
(You collect something and bring it somewhere, while fighting off the enemy)

Shoot the Messenger - The Great Train Robbery
(The goal is to prevent the enemy's trains/ships from reaching their destination)

Phantoms of the Void - Supernova
(Both missions are on a timer. Supernova with the fire eating the map, and Phantoms of the Void is a timer on Kerrigan's death)
Reply Quote
Brood War had 24 missions, HotS had 20 missions.

Brood War had 3 cinematics, HotS had 5 or 6 (maybe more, don't remember)

When you compare it to this expansion to a previous expansion, it delivered only 4 less mission (WoL had one less mission than SC1), with twice as many cinematics.

@Garret, yes Waking was a direct copy of Welcome, Shoot the Messenger had a slightly different mechanic, featuring all air and the ability to actually destroy the shuttle bays, but Phantoms was very different, as your units weren't affected by the timer, and you could add more time by completing objectives rather than just sneaking 15 banshees and 6 vikings behind the vault to kill it.
Reply Quote
but Phantoms was very different, as your units weren't affected by the timer, and you could add more time by completing objectives rather than just sneaking 15 banshees and 6 vikings behind the vault to kill it.

You are right, I was just throwing that one out there, not a strong comparison.

Supernova for me is the hardest mission on Brutal with WoL. I have yet to beat it, and I barely got through it on Hard.
Reply Quote
06/12/2013 09:02 PMPosted by Garret
but Phantoms was very different, as your units weren't affected by the timer, and you could add more time by completing objectives rather than just sneaking 15 banshees and 6 vikings behind the vault to kill it.

Supernova for me is the hardest mission on Brutal with WoL. I have yet to beat it, and I barely got through it on Hard.

Just mass air units and move quick, its best to do like a normal run through to save up credits then save before missions and spend credits specifically for that mission.
Reply Quote
I stopped reading at the title. The campaign is absolutely sensational. My only complaint is that it wasn't longer. WOL felt like more of an adventure because you traveled to more planets and settings. You my friend suffer from "bad taste" You wouldn't know quality if it was sucking you off.

This is what I feel as well.
The HoTS campaign was fun, it's sound tracks above expectations.
Sure, the fact that Kerrigan talked to other zerg from a distance with a finger to her head was cliche, it still didn't take from the fact that the campaign was entertaining.

The raptor part of the evolution missions was my favorite in all of starcraft.
The torrasque evolution on ultralisks was also fun.
The thing that people also have to remember is that there is a limit to the number of larvae evolutions and it was clear that anti air was pretty much irrelevant.
On a final note I would have liked to see less emphasis on hydralisk evolutions and more on the hydralisk themselves.

Just mass air units and move quick, its best to do like a normal run through to save up credits then save before missions and spend credits specifically for that mission.

Not even needed.
I just let them butcher my base on the third mineral patch and just sent my science vessels/banshees/vikings to win it for me.
The science vessel repair makes it so much easier.
Edited by Shaunus on 6/13/2013 5:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Again, branching just isn't going to happen. At least not with the current Blizzard. They attempted it in WoL and failed miserably, and didn't even bother to attempt to improve on it in HoTS. But honestly, I think branch storytelling just isn't there yet. Even Bioware who people claim is the king of branch storytelling doesn't have it correct yet. *points at Mass Effect 3*

Westwood/Tiberian Sun did it pretty well. Ooptional missions that when completed, benefited you in the main missions. They even provided I believe additional backstory to the main story and no gimmicky !@#$.
Reply Quote
06/13/2013 01:00 AMPosted by Streetguru

I massed Thors with a handful of support units.
Reply Quote
having kerrigan stay more human would have been a cool option, but i don't think they would have had the time/resources to do it, as it would also impact legacy of the void.

it would be cool though, imagine a non-infested kerrigan still controlling the zerg, complete with a mecha-QoB wingclaw suit thingy.

i am sure raynor would be a lot more happy with that plot branch.
Edited by BlastomMT on 6/14/2013 2:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
having kerrigan stay more human would have been a cool option, but i don't think they would have had the time/resources to do it, as it would also impact legacy of the void.

it would be cool though, imagine a non-infested kerrigan still controlling the zerg, complete with a mecha-QoB wingclaw suit thingy.

i am sure raynor would be a lot more happy with that plot branch.

Why couldn't they just be more like nintendo and take extra time to ensure the game is going to be great? even if its some non canon side story type thing it would have been great to have that option as it would have expanded things by a lot.
Edited by Streetguru on 6/14/2013 5:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]