StarCraft® II

Call to Action: June 14 Balance Testing

Community Manager
We’ve just published a new custom version of Derelict Watcher, called "Derelict Watcher TE (2.0.8 Balance v1.1)", in which we’re testing small balance changes to StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm. This map features slightly reduced numbers for the Warp Prism changes found in the previous version we published on May 30, as well as a few changes we’d like to try out for the Hellbat and Banshee.

Protoss
    Warp Prism
  • Movement speed increased from 2.5 to 2.953 (previously 2.5 to 3.375.)
  • Acceleration increased from 2.125 to 2.625 (previously 2.125 to 3.25.)
  • The Gravitic Drive upgrade has returned to the Robotics Bay and will increase movement speed to 3.375 and acceleration to 3.25 when researched.

Terran
    Banshee
  • Cloaking Field research cost decreased from 200/200 to 100/100.
  • Cloaking Field research time decreased from 110 seconds to 90.

Hellbat
  • Attack damage decreased from 18 +12 vs. light to 18.
  • The Infernal Pre-Igniter upgrade increases attack damage from 18 to 18 +12 vs. light.

If you're interested in the reasoning behind these adjustments, you can find details here. Thank you once again for your continued feedback and support. We kindly ask that you take your time to play plenty of games on the balance test map before offering your thoughts on the changes above.
Edited by Spyrian on 6/14/2013 11:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
NICE! Very good changes, Blizzard! I look forward to testing them :D
Reply Quote
all 3 good and well thought out changes!

on the downside: once again zerg gets screwed. why the hell arent you trying things like nydus or ovidrop or neural parasite changes. just WHY arent you even TESTING that stuff. its so sad and makes absolutely no fun to play zerg in the zerg expansion hots :(((((((
Reply Quote
Woah, a banshee change! glad to see it, but ill be honest. I didn't see it coming.
Reply Quote
WOW! These changes seem AWESOME! I'm SO excited to see the banshee get some love!
Reply Quote
DeMega

on the downside: once again zerg gets screwed. why the hell arent you trying things like nydus or ovidrop or neural parasite changes. just WHY arent you even TESTING that stuff. its so sad and makes absolutely no fun to play zerg in the zerg expansion hots :(((((((

DeMega, I would really like to see these kinds of changes, but at the same time I personally feel that these current suggested changes are much more important to the metagame to try first. Despite how much I want those kind of changes to be tried, I think that zerg is doing OK in the meantime.
Reply Quote

its because zerg is already balanced mostly and doesn't need buffs
Reply Quote
That banshee change is never going in. 150/150 would make it good enough but a 100/100 seriously. Blizzard I am starting to think you are trying to remove protoss completely from the game. Now you can cloak banshee with no draw back. But wait Widowmines 1 shot Oracles. Balance.
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 11:20 AMPosted by Kelthar
Woah, a banshee change! glad to see it, but ill be honest. I didn't see it coming.

Doncroft strikes again.
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 11:39 AMPosted by SymbionT
That banshee change is never going in. 150/150 would make it good enough but a 100/100 seriously. Blizzard I am starting to think you are trying to remove protoss completely from the game. Now you can cloak banshee with no draw back. But wait Widowmines 1 shot Oracles. Balance.

When was the last time that you lost a P v T to cloaked banshee? Banshees honestly need something to encourage their usage. I do agree that WM shouldn't 1 shot a 150/150 unit. It should ALMOST 1 shot it, but I think a single WM shutting down an oracle is a little silly.
Reply Quote
all 3 good and well thought out changes! on the downside: once again zerg gets screwed. why the hell arent you trying things like nydus or ovidrop or neural parasite changes. just WHY arent you even TESTING that stuff. its so sad and makes absolutely no fun to play zerg in the zerg expansion hots :(((((((its because zerg is already balanced mostly and doesn't need buffs

balance has nothing to do with fun. zerg has to play ling bane muta in ZvT or die and has to play SH + mass static defense vs LATEGAME deathball ZvP (midgame you can do other stuff). so yeah if you find that fun and with a lot of variety...i dont and many others dont either. there is not a single reason not to TEST nydus or drop or neural parasite changes. not a single reason. if its too strong dont do it but you can at least test it. no harm done in testing it can only make the game better.
Reply Quote
Wow, a banshee buff. Never thought I'd see the day.
Reply Quote
I really like the theory behind the Banshee testing. Nerfing on overused form of harassment; buffing an underused. I hope something like this comes to Zerg. Like a SLIGHT nerf to Muta regen; buff Nydus, or something along those lines.
Edited by Decipi on 6/14/2013 11:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
As a Zerg player, I am in complete support of these changes, anything that helps reward skilled Protoss players for multitasking is a change I totally support.

And the Terran changes kind of caught me off guard, usually I am extremely critical of DK's balance choices revolving around Terran but this is pretty damn good, Hellbats definitely need to be beaten with the nerf bat and Banshees are completely overshadowed, so reducing Hellbat strength (lol, one upgrade will turn them right back into the devastating beasts that they are) and improving Banshees (A high micro and high skill cap unit that I love to hate....even if it punishes my baddy scouting) is also a +1 to you Mr. Kim.

I am however hoping that Zerg will get the "Terran treatment" where it is acknowledged that they are balanced in the metagame but that more variety could be better.

Currently Roach/Hydra are still pretty lackluster and Nydus and drop play is extremely costly and mostly relegated to gimmick strategies.

Not saying Zerg is underpowered by any means at all, just saying buffs to our harassment would be great, I think a nerf to Mutalisks would even be warranted if we got drop/Nydus buffs :)

06/14/2013 11:39 AMPosted by SymbionT

I think that it will if the Hellbat nerf goes in, and why are you crying? Your races drop potential is getting substantially buffed, Warp Prisms were already fast now they are VERY fast.

And why would you not want the Hellbat change to go in? It's pretty easy to scout a Starport with a tech lab, and wouldnt you rather lose to a unit that requires good micro and skill (Banshee) then a...well however you would classify nonstop Hellbat drops? O_O
Edited by MeeMeesiko on 6/14/2013 11:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Boring. Once again ignoring zerg which has had the same type of get to Hive gameplay since WoL with very few dramatic changes. Issues with nydus being underused and testing reduced overlord drops should be looked at.
Reply Quote
These are all awesome changes, i think they will really change the game between PVT and come on it helps zerg too less hellbat drops are good and all those damn lings will survive just a little longer.
Reply Quote
I'm guessing noone saw the GSTL where Maru went banshees and completely screwed over the MVP terran? Granted, It will force terrans to get Ravens now, but if buffing another harass *that can end games through mistakes really a good idea?

I find it odd, that Terran wanted changes to lategame siege tanks, a use for ghosts outside TvP and such; yet...this. I'm not sure guys, I think you're applying too much emphasis on harass and not on " how do we get people to not turtle all game long".

And there's my 2cents.

* By that I'm assuming that even if you do scout it, you'd have to make a raven, place scans right or make turrets to cover your buildings/ workers. Two of which are quite resource heavy. I don't hate the banshee change, I just don't think it'll help as the community thinks it will.
Edited by Demetrivoi on 6/14/2013 12:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Wow, a banshee change, the first one since WoL Beta. Excited to try it out on ladder, could potentially hurt a lot of mech builds with the earlier cloak banshee, although it might make hellbat wars into banshee wars.
Edited by WorstMicroNA on 6/14/2013 12:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
1/1/1 is going to be absolutely ridiculous with cheaper cloaked research and no need for siege mode research.
Reply Quote
Very nice!
Reducing the price of cloaking field is logical as a widow mine drop is currently more cost-effective than a banshee harassment, but decreasing the research time seems too much.

I was also expecting a tiny oracle's buff like the warp prim's one.
Edited by Adashra on 6/14/2013 12:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]