StarCraft® II

What unit trades against Void Rays for cost?

I'm confused about which units to use against Void Rays.
I find that Hydralisks, Mutalisks and Corruptors all melt at about the same rate.
Reply Quote
Its a little harder to do but a good number of queens is amazing vs Voids because transfuse is so strong and they have a decent bit of health. Your creep has to be good to do that though. 8-10 queens or even more sometimes can do wonders vs voids.
Reply Quote
Queens are really good (see above post for obvious drawbacks).

Hydras are fine, but you need a sufficient number. small numbers they'll kind of just die.

Mutas are the reverse. they can handle VRs in small numbers, but big numbers they'll get slaughtered easily.

Corrupters always suck, but if you have stupid amounts of money you can just throw massive amounts at him and trade very cost inefficiently.

The most important part is to try to not let your opponent hit that critical mass of void rays where they basically just roll everything. You can do that a couple ways, including sh/hydra/static/viper , or muta early enough (should force out pheonix), etc.
Reply Quote
Mass spore is good too.
Reply Quote
I put a lot of time in the unit tester to answer this question myself. Toss like to mass voids in 2s. The Hydralisk is really the only unit that can deal with pure voids in mass. The infestor is good as well, it's fungal DMG is not much and will rarely catch a decent number. I find it better to just spam the infested Terran for that burst DPS to kill as many voids as I can.

Since the hydra is the most viable void solution it makes sense they would also get colossus and storm to deal with the hydras. However this weakens the void army so you can afford to eat something to deal with those. It even opens you for using muta since you can have more muta than voids.

Follow the recommendation by Nasreth for the mixed army comp. But for a nothing but void army hydra + infestor is the only way to go.

Mutalisk can fight voids but not cost for cost you have to have more and spend more than toss did. Also as he gets upgrades on his armor/shields the mutalisk bounce DMG as well as primary DMG drops. So muta become less effective as upgrades come into play even if you upgrade attack.

Also the armor upgrades do more than attack upgrades when fighting voids. But double ups are never a problem for Z.
Reply Quote
I would argue that the solution is not necessarily a single unit. Corruptors are obviously not okay by themselves, mutas and hydralisks can be as long as void rays don't have a critical mass (like marines, the lack of a projectile causes them to be more powerful in larger numbers compared to units which do have projectiles). If there IS a single unit, I'd say infestors do massive damage when void rays get clumped up (which they often do). Otherwise I'd recommend mixing corruptors into whatever AA you like. You didn't need to use the corruption ability in WoL to get by using corruptors, but the 20% dps bonus is a massive help for hydralisks, queens, mutalisks, whatever. It isn't as good as the prismatic beam, but it evens the odds.
Reply Quote
06/12/2013 10:14 PMPosted by Migrax
I'm confused about which units to use against Void Rays.

Well, that's because void rays hard counter everything.
Reply Quote
Mass spore is good too.
Reply Quote
mutalisks actually don't melt at the same rate since they have more health and health regen, in fact an equal cost of mutalisks will beat the same cost of voidrays
Reply Quote
I think Hydras are the best option. They're cheap, and trade well enough.
Reply Quote
Hydras, spores, mutas when voids are at disadvantegous position number wise (muta lives same amount of time to void ray as does corruptor, lol), festors when you got voids stacked somehow (by baiting an attack for instance), queens on full energy are as hard of a void ray counter as it can be on ground with AoE.
Reply Quote
Once again..

Mutalisk do not counter voids. You can beat them using mutas but you need to have more supply worth of mutas than voids. This means you will need to spend a lot more than the toss did. Also as he gets upgrades on the voids you will need more and more mutas to get the job done.

Hydralisk/infestor and queens are the only viable cost for cost or supply for supply counter Zerg has to pure voids. Take preferance to infested Terran unless you can get off the most amazing fungal hit ever.

If you disagree with these facts get in the unit tester and post a replay disproving it. I know you won't because I have done it multiple times.

That being said toss can only make so many voids at a time, we can out produce them and just keep throwing sub optimal units at them to kill em off faster then they are produced.
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 11:41 AMPosted by KitenMitens
Mutalisk do not counter voids. You can beat them using mutas but you need to have more supply worth of mutas than voids. This means you will need to spend a lot more than the toss did. Also as he gets upgrades on the voids you will need more and more mutas to get the job done.

This is true, but zergs have the potential upon scouting two (or three) SG voids by going mass muta. However, you need to swamp the voids and unpower his stargates to prevent the pheonix. Or you need to prepare to make corrupters and zone out the phoenixes.

Move your mutas from base to base denying pylons, and kill probes/ cannons. Never engage the muta and corrupters group vs. voids and pheonixes.

Get double spire if you have the resource to keep up with the air upgrades.
Reply Quote
I find that if you focus fire, then hydras will burn voids down fast. It's all just a matter of killing them before they get their lazors to full power.
Reply Quote
If he's going for ONLY void rays then speedlings are actually very good when it comes to keeping him on his toes and using them to counterattack.
Reply Quote
Hydra Infestor is the only thing I'v found that is actual efficient at killing them. Void's slaughter hydras, but in order to do so they have to clump up so that all of them can fire while only a small percentage of hydras can shoot back. Having investors lets you punish the clumping with fungal. So either he spreads and no longer trades efficiently with hydras or clumps and gets fungaled to death. This is amusing a mostly voidray army. Templar, chargelots or colossus mixed in will screw you over.
Reply Quote
It's too bad that there isn't some sort of Dark Swarm to make Hydras more effective.
Reply Quote
infestor +muta/hydra

dont trade, just kill without taking damage in return imo... at the very least you will pin any escaping units
Reply Quote
06/14/2013 01:13 PMPosted by Migrax
It's too bad that there isn't some sort of Dark Swarm to make Hydras more effective.

Oh man, i would love dark swarm for zerg. Imagine the reign of chargelots under dark swarm?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]